ClubTread Community

ClubTread Community (https://forums.clubtread.com/)
-   Maps, GPS, Orienteering (https://forums.clubtread.com/33-maps-gps-orienteering/)
-   -   "Confluence hunting" (https://forums.clubtread.com/33-maps-gps-orienteering/28700-confluence-hunting.html)

Ryan.in.yaletown 03-14-2009 08:01 AM

"Confluence hunting"

Interesting article up on Der Spiegel about confluence hunting with GPS - going to the exact location where latitude and longitude lines intersect:

http://www.spiegel.de/international/...613225,00.html

The novelty of my Garmin must not have worn off yet; I find this interesting. Anyone else done this before?

-Ryan

Dru 03-14-2009 09:42 AM

I heard about this years ago and have always been irritated by the silly use of the word confluence. In a true confluence, eg. of rivers, two streams come together to become one. But a "confluence" that these guys hunt for is not a confluence (coming together of two streams) at all, but a CROSSING (where a line of latitude crosses a line of longitude) - a completely different beast.

darren 03-14-2009 10:16 AM

'Hey dudes, let's go hunt some crosses!'

Dru 03-14-2009 11:46 AM

Better hunt than burn I guess.

mick range 03-14-2009 07:01 PM

Confluence? Last time I checked the correct term was "waypoint",what happened to that?

Ryan.in.yaletown 03-14-2009 07:08 PM

Quote:

quote:Originally posted by mick range

Confluence? Last time I checked the correct term was "waypoint",what happened to that?
The Main Stream Media got a hold of it, that's what happened :P

-Ryan

pdops 03-16-2009 10:44 AM

To get back on topic and answer the question of the OP I did a few back when the project first started. It was an interesting use of the technology and also a sampling of geographic locations around the world. There are some very interesting visit reports listed on the site.

Participants were not limited to hikers with handheld GPS receivers. There are a series of visits by the captain of a freighter on his ship along the shores of both sides of the Atlantic (confluences are limited to intersections of lat & long within sight of land). He also visited at least one inland in Russia at a time when a foreigner (or anybody) with a GPS would have had a hard time explaining themselves to the authorities.

While it's not stated on the website most participants would expended a lot of effort to be the first to visit a confluence and lost interest if they were not.

The Canadian coordinator is a sometimes poster in these forums.

Sodbuster 03-17-2009 08:45 PM

Not an expert on the subject but this term is used to describe where integer latitude and integer longitude lines cross. This is more specific than waypoints.

It would make for an interesting challenge since you really don't know what you'll actually find on the ground (or water) when you set out except what you may figure out from a map ahead of time. Kind of reminds me of noting when an automobile odometer turns over 100,000 km... its not really relevant to anything specific, just a nice round number for a few moments.

magnetite 07-14-2009 10:34 PM

People actually waste their time doing this? If you really want to waste your time, go the the same "confluence" (as Dru said, really a crossing) in NAD83, WGS84 (a step away) and NAD27 (>200m away). When you get to each point, be sure to walk around, treading on as much ground as possible within an area 15 metres across; this will take into account the positional error of the GPS and increase the likelihood of stepping on the actual point. You would at least get a bit of exercise.

19351 07-15-2009 06:45 AM

Two words; "Energy Vortex" !
Why you might even find Shirley MacLaine [:o)]