New Google Maps Feature - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Interest: Women
Default New Google Maps Feature

This New Google Maps feature released today looks cool!
http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNew...04?hub=SciTech

The software plots a user's location -- marked by a personal picture on Google's map -- by relying on cell phone towers, global positioning systems or a Wi-Fi connection to deduce their location. The system can follow people's travels in the United States and 26 other countries.

So long as there is cell reception, this might work for some hikers.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 02:25 PM
High on the Mountain Top

“It could also raise privacy concerns, but Google is doing its best to avoid a backlash by requiring each user to manually turn on the tracking software and making it easy to turn off or limit access to the service.
Google also is promising not to retain any information about its users' movements. Only the last location picked up by the tracking service will be stored on Google's computers, Lee said.”

Yeah right.

Gov't knows enough about us as it is. Leave your phone off and pay cash for everything for a week and they'd probably show up at your house expecting to find you dead.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 03:43 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Climbing

Quote:
quote:There are no current plans to sell any advertising alongside Google's tracking service,
I dont think that is true, I believe Google has begun making a free cellphone software platform for cell companies that is google based meaning you may buy a google phone at a much much cheaper plan with pop up ads

Quote:
quote:The feature, dubbed "Latitude," expands upon a tool introduced in 2007
was gonna say I have been using this feature for a couple years now, I have flickr pictures pop up on my phone showing me pictures of stuff in the current area I am travelling..I can choose what ever I want to show up

However I dont think it utilizes GPS who has that on their phone?

and yes you can just turn it off..but I believe cell comapnies are mandated to improve location services for 911 use fairly soon..maybe you cant turn it off then or..??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 04:10 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by J Mace

Quote:
quote:There are no current plans to sell any advertising alongside Google's tracking service,
I dont think that is true, I believe Google has begun making a free cellphone software platform for cell companies that is google based meaning you may buy a google phone at a much much cheaper plan with pop up ads
Google's Android doesn't put any ads on your phone.

Quote:
quote:
Quote:
quote:The feature, dubbed "Latitude," expands upon a tool introduced in 2007
was gonna say I have been using this feature for a couple years now, I have flickr pictures pop up on my phone showing me pictures of stuff in the current area I am travelling..I can choose what ever I want to show up

However I dont think it utilizes GPS who has that on their phone?

and yes you can just turn it off..but I believe cell comapnies are mandated to improve location services for 911 use fairly soon..maybe you cant turn it off then or..??
Most phones have GPS these days, just not a fully featured option that you can access easily. You would likely never notice that yours has it unless you looked carefully. It exists for 911 service, but Canada just doesn't use it yet, which is stupid, hence the recent news requiring the phone companies to use it.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

One small step for man, one giant leap for "Google World".
Once they integrate this technology to google earth, lookout. They are trying to make a Google Virtual World, kind of scary!

This new feature may be handy, we'll have to see.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 05:20 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Making gear, Customizing gear, Hiking about, Hammocking, Prospecting,Sasquatch Hunting, I also like to read

This does somethign similar as well. My mate has one says he really likes it. Uses it for gliding. tracks his route he takes and what not and can get help if hes forced to land. and emergency if hes injured in the process.https://www.nextdestination.com.au/P...&ProductId=280
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 06:35 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
quote:

So long as there is cell reception, this might work for some hikers.
I took my Blackberry with me on Tunnel Bluffs a few weeks back. It's easily in cell range.

I have the mobile version of Google Maps installed on my BB. The BB also has GPS installed.

I was surprised to find that Google maps used both the internal GPS as well as cell tower triangulation to pinpoint my location to within 2-3m, far better than my Garmin.

Then I switched to satellite overview of Google Maps and could see exactly where I was on the mountain, down to the Bluffs clearing. What can I say - I'm a technology geek and a hiking geek :P

-Ryan
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 06:50 PM
Summit Master

Ditto to that Ryan... My BB is incredibly helpful and accurate... in most situations...
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 03:24 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Most phones have GPS these days
So if I understand correctly I should be able to use most phones map features outside of cell reception like a regular GPS?

Quote:
quote:Google's Android doesn't put any ads on your phone.
I just assumed google would make android a free platfrom so they could put ads on it..why would they make it free?
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 03:34 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by J Mace

Quote:
quote:Most phones have GPS these days
So if I understand correctly I should be able to use most phones map features outside of cell reception like a regular GPS?
Probably not, since they use something called Assisted GPS (AGPS) where the phone offloads the computational processing to remote servers over the cell connection. If you buy an expensive smartphone with "real" GPS then you will be able to use it outside of cell range, but remember, without the cell connection you can't download maps or satellite images (so you have to load them into your phone's memory beforehand).

Quote:
quote:
Quote:
quote:Google's Android doesn't put any ads on your phone.
I just assumed google would make android a free platfrom so they could put ads on it..why would they make it free?
Trying to wrestle control over the cellphone software platforms from the phone companies. Then they can sell you applications or whatever.
Maybe they'll use it for world domination somehow
post #11 of (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 04:29 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Gotcha thanks
post #12 of (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

New features for Google Maps to come,
Interesting news article I found:
http://www.westcoaster.ca/modules/AM...p?storyid=6964
Google Maps West Coast

Should be cool!

post #13 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

More Bikes on the Trails?

Google tricycle snaps views from U.S. hiking trails, Canada Next?
http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNew...20?hub=SciTech

post #14 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 04:29 PM
Summit Master

Woo Hoo !!!

I hope so...

"Tricycle seen on the Elk-Thurston Ridge, East of Vancouver, in Canada... Efforts supported by Canada's new President, Obama III ... What will the hikers, bikers and ATV'ers do now ??? Will this trail become wheelchair friendly ??? (Only after the logging's all finished by the Natives, the wildflowers are all gone and the mountain is naked)... News and video at 11 pm "...

Too funny... *wink*...

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page