cracked screen on gps - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-29-2008, 11:43 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: running, hiking, blading, camping, skiing, outdoors, spending time with kids, big hockey and baseball fan, board and card games
Default cracked screen on gps

After only having my new gps (Garmin Vista HCX) for only less than 2 months, it dropped from my pocket onto the dock and cracked! Very very disappointing, considering the price of it, and that it is rated by many as being durable. Someone else I know accidentally leaned on their GPS (Garmin, not the same model, but newer) and that screen cracked too. Has anyone experienced this with their Garmin?

I just don't get it - cell phones are dropped so often by so many and those never seem to crack.. ??

It's shipped off and hopefully it'll only be a minor fix..

yeh baby!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-29-2008, 11:50 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Women

Was it in a leather case? If not, that would of quite possibly ended up in a different scenario believe it or not... & If not you should buy a leather case.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-29-2008, 11:55 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: running, hiking, blading, camping, skiing, outdoors, spending time with kids, big hockey and baseball fan, board and card games

No it wasn't.. I do have a case for it but unfortunately it wasn't in it at the time..

I don't think its designed as well as it could be.. it has rubber all around the edges, and thats it..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2008, 08:37 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, exploring, reading, random shiny things

It must have just landed "perfectly". I've dropped my GPS several times, and it's still fine. My cheap a$$ Samsung cell phone though, dropped once from a height of about 2 feet, and cracked right away. Ironically, my older version of the phone took an incredible amount of abuse and is still in good condition.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2008, 08:51 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Mountain biking, hiking, nature photography, astronomy, music...

I've kept mine in a neoprene jacket, with an additional clear plastic stick-on cover over the glass. Total extra cost, about $25.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2008, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

finally just heard from the company that's going to fix it - it's gonna cost another $167..

thats one expen$ive gp$!! but, once i get it back, it's gonna be handled like a baby..
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2008, 03:54 PM
Headed for the Mountains

When I scratched the screen on my GPS, I called Garmin warranty and they told me to send it to their Canadian service affiliate. I did, and they did the service on it free of charge (other then to ship it to them). Is it too late to try this method?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2008, 04:06 PM
Scaling New Heights

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by canuckgurl

finally just heard from the company that's going to fix it - it's gonna cost another $167..
Hmmm, I wonder whether it's worth it, when you can get a new one for $100 more:
http://www.gpscentral.ca/products/ga...vista-hcx.html
I know GPScentral sells refurbished units, so maybe it's worth calling them to see if there is some way to buy a new one from them, but get a credit for sending in the one with the cracked screen to Garmin.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2008, 09:44 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Is eating sushi a hobby?

I took a piece of 3M clear plastic protection and placed it over the LCD on my Garmin GPS. It's thick and "rubbery" and does it a great job of protecting it against cracks and LCD's. It's also cheap and easily removable.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

thanks for the info.. it was a gift, so i'm gonna get it fixed and will try to be extra careful with it..

its really too bad that it had to crack like that, hopefully thats not a common occurence..
post #11 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 08:51 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Mountains....

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by canuckgurl

its really too bad that it had to crack like that, hopefully thats not a common occurence..
Shouldn't be common unless they are being dropped. Keep in mind cell phones also have a much smaller lcd screen on them.
post #12 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 09:43 PM
Summit Master

Interest: in no particular order... * photography * cooking * eating * hiking / backpacking * shit-disturbing * messin\' with computer stuff

Ahhh yes... this thread rings a few bells...

A few years back, LongShadow dropped his garmin from a few feet up and the screen cracked. I don't remember the hoops he jumped through, but they repaired it free of charge, IIRC.

I later dropped my garmin from about 3' onto a dirt trail and that was enough to kill it. I told my story to garmin and they basically told me that "any electronics that fall may be subject to damage" - or in other words "screw you, tough luck". Anyhow, I guess it's the luck of the draw as to how they handle your claim. This is all quite amusing as their website has a ton of testimonials on how durable their GPSs are. <s>Bullshit</s> Hogwash.

I wound up buying another garmin last year, and so far I'm pretty happy with it. Fingers crossed I stay that way. Best of luck in the future with yours.
post #13 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 08:58 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Hiking, Camping, Kayaking, Photography

It's all about how it lands.
If it landed on the side or back, there's a good chance it would have survived. If it landed on a corner, there's a good chance it would break.
It's a lot to do with PSI.
If the shock is dissipated over a large area it has less force.
I discovered this years ago with a couple of old PDAs.
post #14 of (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 06:49 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: wood working , Photography, model ship building, backpacking, elecrtonics

BTW if you bought it with your credit card it may have a special protection warantee that will cover the damaged GPS.
post #15 of (permalink) Old 10-03-2008, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

thanks camper.. i did check into that.. i had to pay for the repair..

anyhoo, i got it back!!! and took it up to Dog the other day.. i really need to figure out how to use it tho! hehe! i forgot to mark the parking lot, but marked Dog mtn where we had lunch - then we ended up taking the trail that goes uptowards the pumps and came down along the ski trail.. but when i was looking the the gps, it showed us where we were, and where Dog mtn was, and where the ski lift was.. that was cool! but it would've been better to mark the parking lot..

anyhoo, when i got home, and uploaded the trip, it showed the route we took exactly!! soo cool! i love it!! but.. i know it can do alot more.. can't wait to figure it all out..

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page