gps and macintosh - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Default gps and macintosh

I have a Garmin Geko 301, brand new. I have a cable. I have a Macbook. And if I connect my GPS to my laptop, nothing happens. The cable works because I've changed it and besides, it charges my batteries. Any idea about why I can't see my GPS?
I installed Mapsource in my PC and doesn't recongnize it either.
The GPS inferface is in 'garmin' mode.
Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 11:38 AM
High on the Mountain Top

The discs that come with your GPS don't work on MACs.

Garmin's been working on MAC programs for a while, and the only thing they've come up with is Bobcat, which is ok. You can get it here:

http://www8.garmin.com/support/downl...ls.jsp?id=3886

Your best bet is to install Windows on your MAC (if you've got the Intel chip) and run your GPS through Windows.

Or, do like I did and be really nice to your girlfriend (who runs Windows) and install it on her computer.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Thanks, I downloaded the program but it doesn't recognize my GPS device!! and it happens the same in my PC!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 12:56 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Hiking, Camping, Kayaking, Photography

Is the software setup for USB interface?
I believe with mine it defaulted to serial and had to be changed manually.
Can't remember offhand whether it was in the setup or options area but it's likely on a tab in the same area that you set it to Garmin interface.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 01:03 PM
High on the Mountain Top

GPS and Mac have been flakey. I'm hoping with GPS in the iPhone, it gets a bit better, though I hear that is pretty lame, too.

This is a discussion that interests me as a hardcore mac user. There's some open source stuff out there, too, that is okay but not great, at least, last time I participated in this discussion. But I'd love to hear the latest and greatest. Maybe I'll do a feature over at macanuck.blogspot.com
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 03:03 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by senyorpiolet

I have a Garmin Geko 301, brand new. I have a cable. I have a Macbook. And if I connect my GPS to my laptop, nothing happens.
The Geko 301 has a serial (not a USB) interface, so you must be using a serial-to-USB adapter cable to connect it to your MacBook. With PCs, such adapters (or more correctly, the software drivers for them) are notoriously troublesome. I had to try two or three different brands to find one that would work with my Geko 201. I'd bet that the adapter is the problem.

Quote:
quote:The cable works because I've changed it and besides, it charges my batteries.
I don't understand what you mean by this, but there is no way that the batteries in your Geko are being re-charged while it is plugged into your PC.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Hi PaulB,

Sorry about that, let me explain a little bit better

I bought on eBAY a cable with a USB port (with that cable I don't need a USB adaptor). I got the cable, and didn't work, so I returned it back. The seller sent me a new cable (same, with USB port). With the new cable, the computer doesn't recognize my GPS either(I'm using Mapsource in a PC or Bobcat in Mac). However, there's connection between the GPS and the computer because I can use it without batteries.

I'm pretty sure it must be the cable again...
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 05:42 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by senyorpiolet

I bought on eBAY a cable with a USB port (with that cable I don't need a USB adaptor). I got the cable, and didn't work, so I returned it back. The seller sent me a new cable (same, with USB port). With the new cable, the computer doesn't recognize my GPS either(I'm using Mapsource in a PC or Bobcat in Mac). However, there's connection between the GPS and the computer because I can use it without batteries
I can believe that the cable will provide power to the GPS as that is simply a direct connection from the USB port to the power pin on the back of the GPS. However, the Geko 301 will not be recognized as a USB device unless the cable is acting as a serial-to-usb converter. The conversion is done by a small chip hidden in the cable housing. For your computer to recognize the GPS, it must have the correct device driver for the conversion chip.

The most common chips are made by Prolific. You can download their Mac drivers here:

http://www.prolific.com.tw/eng/downloads.asp?ID=31

Whoever sold you the cable should have provided the drivers for it.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

oh thanks, now it works!!
cool!!!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page