Spot Satellite Personal Tracker - Page 2 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 11:18 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
quote:I have never had to use it in an emergency situation (touch wood) but so far I can tell its accuracy is very good because when I go home and check the tracking online its bang on. For me its money well spent.
Yes but RF can you qualify how much of that tracking is while you are in the air? That's a very important question. There is a new thread with respect to Cellular coverage and I think line of site and Signal degradation and PDOP play an important part in this matter. You have to remember that with PLB's or EPRIRB's (If they are 406Mhz) They have the added advantage of resolving position ambiguity through the COSPAS SARSAT satellite coverage using Doppler shift in the event that a GPS position is not received.

I guess the main thing we need to focus on here is, How much power is available to transmit, what is the transmit capabability in Canopy, how many buttons do you have to push when you are injured, and who gets the call if life really begins to get ugly for you out there.

One thing I will say for SPOT; being able to send updates encourages the individual to maintain a responsible sense of self awareness in consideration of those who care for them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 11:48 PM
Summit Master

a little bit of history...Although SPOT is coming into the forefront recently I was aware of its predecessor prototype and affiliated company back in 1991. At that time Orbcomm was scrambling to get their satellites in the air. I think the biggest issue that all of us faced back then was type approval/certification, end cost to consumer, and responder protocols to be in place. This was also the case for GPS, the main issue being cost to consumer. In the case of beacons and Person Alerting Systems (PAS my achronym) it may be a case of "May the best man win" as far as these systems are concerned.

None of these products currently deal with the bigger issue which is the unconscious victim. This is where my interest lies for future technological developements. We already have the telemetry capababilties available to us to consider this a reality.

Post has been edited to reflect my message more understandably. I was up a little too late last night.

Cheers
post #18 of (permalink) Old 07-04-2008, 07:59 AM Thread Starter
Eco
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Hiking

Thanks for the extensive info, pmicheals. Thanks again, all, for the feedback. Have a great w/e!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page