Garmin MapSource - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2008, 08:20 AM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Default Garmin MapSource

Anyone know if there is anyway to get better mapping for Garmin GPSMAP units? I have the MapSource TOPO Canada... but it's just 20 m NTS mapping. It would be nice to get some 5-m resolution. Any ideas?

C
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2008, 08:31 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, exploring, reading, random shiny things

I don't know, but with map tracks providing accuracy of +/- 10m, I don't know how much benefit that would be. Well, as a map, it would certainly be nice, but it wouldn't help track your route.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2008, 09:00 AM
Headed for the Mountains

As far as I know, if you want something better, you need to make it yourself or get it made for you. The only easily accessible topo data in Canada is from the NTS maps. I think the BC government has slightly more detailed topo coverage but I don't know if anyone has figured out how to convert it to topo maps.

You can also check out http://mapcenter2.cgpsmapper.com/ and see if anyone has uploaded maps that may be of use in your area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2008, 09:03 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Mountain biking, hiking, nature photography, astronomy, music...

The complete answer at this point in time is No (nothing better is available).
Why do you need 5m accuracy? Is it for work? (Note that accuracy and resolution do not mean the same thing, and I think you mean accuracy).
There are specialized applications and hardware that will allow you to load your own GIS into GPS enabled units, but you're looking at more than $7000 to get one of those systems going (I can set one up for you if you like ), and that doesn't include data. Also, there is no free source of data suitable for producing 5m contours that would meet mapping accuracy standards.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2008, 05:09 PM

With WAAS you can acieve accuracy within a couple meters. I find my Vista to be incredibly accurate. However, I believe the problem is not the technology but the level of detail provided by Mapsource. The detail is certainly lacking to a significant extent. Just for starters, entire lakes are often excluded, contour lines are often innacurate and terrain is misrepresented. Still, what is available right now is amazing and saves an incredible amount of time that I used to spend staring at maps.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2008, 05:12 PM

With WAAS you can acieve accuracy within a couple meters. I find my Vista to be incredibly accurate. However, I believe the problem is not the technology but the level of detail provided by Mapsource. The detail is certainly lacking to a significant extent. Just for starters, entire lakes are often excluded, contour lines are often innacurate and terrain is misrepresented. Still, what is available right now is amazing and saves an incredible amount of time that I used to spend staring at maps.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2008, 06:50 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Collecting shoe boxes, trafficking sea shells, growing vegetables, and tracking the \"wood ape\" aka yetti

Yeah, best reasonable thing you can do if it's for recreational purposes is go with Garmin's mapsource... "based on" the government maps..

post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 08:28 AM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Thanks for the input. I've got the GPSMAP 76csx... simply for playing around in the bush and hills. I use a Trimble differential GPS for work stuff... but when you're hiking who wants to set up a base antenna, syncronize and even then you'd need to drag the laptop out to post process before you get any improvement.

20 m contours are pretty coarse and leave out a lot of the details - i just figured 5m intervals would give a bit more of an edge for things like route selection and what not.

Cheers,

C

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page