Adding Maps to GPSr using Mapsource - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 04:22 PM Thread Starter

Default Adding Maps to GPSr using Mapsource

I recently got a Vista HCx...pretty cool unit, and my first 'hiking' GPS. Previously, I owned a PDA with a bluetooth GPS receiver, and after my first foray into the GPS world, I was looking forward to having a dedicated unit that was waterproof and durable.

I was wondering if anyone has experience loading maps onto the Vista using Mapsource. I have City Navigator and Topo Canada, but it seems that every time I load new maps onto the unit, the existing maps on the unit get deleted. I.e. I loaded the City Nav maps for Vancouver onto the Vista; when I got Topo Canada, I loaded topo maps onto the Vista, and all the City Nav maps are deleted. This is confirmed because the "show/hide" options on the Vista no longer have "Show City Nav Maps" as an option any more.

I know I can have both City Nav and Topo Canada maps on my unit by loading BOTH at the same time from Mapsource. But I wanted to know if there was a way to add one or two maps to the Vista without having to reload EVERYTHING all over again as it's quite a long process to select and wait for the computer to do all the work.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 04:32 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Canoeing, Hiking, Fishing and Bear kissing.

If memory serves me correctly, I believe you have select all the maps you want and do the entire upload in one shot.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 04:33 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Love the outdoors. Hiking, backpacking, geocaching, camping, canoeing, and kayaking. Did I say camp

The short answer is No.
You have to load any/all maps you want on your GPS all in one go. Anytime you add new maps it overwrites the old file. Kind of a pain in the arse but that's the way it is.
I've got a 60csx, with a 2gb card in it, so I just load most of BC, part of Alberta and a big chunk of Washington all at once. That covers any of the areas I normally wander.
It just means when I travel outside those areas I have to upload new maps and then re-upload my old file when I get back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 04:45 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Marc,

Can you upload the maps from the Vista HCx back to the computer, or is it only a one way process, i.e. from computer to GPS?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 04:56 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Love the outdoors. Hiking, backpacking, geocaching, camping, canoeing, and kayaking. Did I say camp

Hi larryl,

Not sure why you'd want to upload the maps back to your computer when they'd already be there.
you can upload the tracks\routes\waypoints from the gps back to the computer, but I don't think you can upload the maps.
Like I said though you shouldn't need to since it's likely you uploaded them from your computer to your GPS in the first place.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 04:57 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Canoeing, Hiking, Fishing and Bear kissing.

it goes both ways... you can upload or download to and from your GPS.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-24-2008, 12:05 AM Thread Starter

thanks for all the great answers. i guess it's a tedious wait each time i want to upload something new, but if that's the only way, i'll have to make do.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page