Topo Map - Callaghan Valley - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-08-2008, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Default Topo Map - Callaghan Valley

Hi All,

There has been a lot of activity in digital mapping recently - the feds offering free NTS maps / data, the sudden boom in software and mapping products based on that free data; Internet-based mapping / printing, etc. It's enough to make one think there's no longer a need for high quality map products.

Well, apparently there is. MEC, ITMB, Geological Survey, MapTown, etc. are all selling maps - lots of maps. It sounds like there is a demand - that's promising because much of our province (BC) remains cartographically naked.

Late last year, I posted a link on CT (https://www.clubtread.com/sforum/topi...TOPIC_ID=24119) asking for some input on a map I was putting together for the Whistler / Callaghan areas. I rec'd great feedback and am getting ready to put the final touches to the map in preparation for publishing.

Spring is here, people are heading into the backcountry and, before the map goes to press, I'd like make a final request of the CT community for any GPS routes, trails, tracks, etc. that may be rattling around on your hard drives. I'd really appreciate your contributions and you'll get a free map if your data is used.

FYI - I've included draft images of the map - an overview map of the Callaghan Valley and a detailed section of the Mt. Callaghan area. I've also included a sample from the NTS series for comparison. Note: Much of the information (labels, contour elevations, etc.) have been left off for the sake of clarity.

Let me know what you think. Thanks.

Overview of Callaghan Valley

Detail of Mt. Callaghan

NTS detail of Mt. Callaghan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-08-2008, 06:40 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Mountaineering, Backcountry Skiing, Hiking, Rock Climbing, Photography

Hi Jeff,

I've had the chance to do quite a few excellent ski trips in the Callaghan area this year. No GPS tracks but I'd be happy to sketch the routes on the map for you:

Beverley Lake
Rainbow from Hanging Lake, ski the North Glacier and return via Beverley Creek
East side of Mt Callaghan (yoyo area)
Squamish - Cheakamus Divide
Metal Dome Ski Ascent

In past years I've done:
Mount Callaghan from Ring Lake
Mount Sproatt from 21 Mile Creek
Rainbow from 21 Mile Creek.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page