National Trail Maps - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 08:23 AM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Interest: Love the outdoors. Hiking, backpacking, geocaching, camping, canoeing, and kayaking. Did I say camp
Default National Trail Maps

http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/ind...pic=192911&hl=

The link is to a discussion on the geocaching forums about trying to set up a National Trail Database that'll work as an overlay, uploadable to Garmin (and maybe down the road a bit Magellan) GPSs.
The person kind of "heading up" the project is Ibycus (Dale). He designed a set of topos for Garmin GPSs that are available online for free, and there has been much discussion on them here and on many other forums.
Anyways he is looking for someone in each province to compile the data necessary, so if anyone has interest check it out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 02:15 PM

And send all your trail data for BC to Marc
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 02:24 PM
Headed for the Mountains

I'm not registered on the groundspeak forum, but I'm in Edmonton and interested in helping you out in the Edmonton (or the 'northern Alberta') area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Interest: Love the outdoors. Hiking, backpacking, geocaching, camping, canoeing, and kayaking. Did I say camp

That's right folks I volunteered to be "the guy" for BC. Please send me any/all track files you have, preferably as gpx files. If you don't want to convert them then at least tell me what type of gps it was recorded on.
If you could please include the names of any waypoints you uploaded as well. Some GPSs are limited to how many charachters you can use when naming waypoints, so while it maybe clear to you it may not to me.
Either email me through the board here or at m a r c a t s h i f t l e s s b u m d o t c o m - You know the deal remove the spaces and change the "a t" to an @ - friggin' bots.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-11-2008, 12:05 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Some people submit their trails to MOTSA and they get added to a provincial database. The VOC does this at least, and our trails are in here.

http://aardvark.gov.bc.ca/apps/recst/

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page