LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Default Topo maps software

Hi
I bought a new Garmin Geko 301.
Checking the forums I've found that link below to download free topo maps:

http://www.ibycus.com/ibycustopo/

I downloaded the whole file and once decompressed, I have lots of folders but I can't open them! is there any free software to open those files?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 12:16 PM
Headed for the Mountains

You have to install Garmin's Mapsource.

Then, when you install Ibycus' maps, it will automatically install them into Mapsource.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 12:34 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Love the outdoors. Hiking, backpacking, geocaching, camping, canoeing, and kayaking. Did I say camp

Here's the steps to get it to work if you don't have an existing MapSource Product.
For those of you who have Garmin GPSs with mapping capability these topos are incredible. Much better than the Garmin ones. The only downsides are no Street Names (though there will be for BC, AB and NB at some point this summer). That means no Auto-Routing, but if you bought this for "outdoor" use who cares about street names, considering the maps are of higher quality.

Step 1:
Download and Install "Garmin Training Center"
http://www8.garmin.com/support/colle...t=999-99999-04

Step 2:
Download and Install the latest Mapsource Update
http://www8.garmin.com/support/downl...ils.jsp?id=209

This will give you a working mapsource install with a basic world basemap (very low detail)

Step 3:
Download and install Ibycus' Maps.
http://www.ibycus.com/ibycustopo/

Step 4:
If you've already installed these maps you may need to go here as well.
http://www.ibycus.com/ibycustopo/download/MapUpdate.exe

Not sure if the above steps work cause I haven't tried it myself, I have existing an existing Mapsource product. If you try it and it works please post confirming that it worked so others will know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 06:00 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Canoeing, Hiking, Fishing and Bear kissing.

Have you used TopoCanada Marc and if so, are these maps much better than those?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 06:08 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Love the outdoors. Hiking, backpacking, geocaching, camping, canoeing, and kayaking. Did I say camp

The maps are based on all the most recent data. While the streets are labeled they are shown and also based on the most recent data.
The maps are full colour.
If you go to the forums at geocaching.com, and then go into the Canada sub forum. You'll find the discussion on these maps easily. There is a side by side picture comparison you can see there plus lots more other info.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 07:03 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Canoeing, Hiking, Fishing and Bear kissing.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Marc

Not sure if the above steps work cause I haven't tried it myself, I have existing an existing Mapsource product. If you try it and it works please post confirming that it worked so others will know.
I can confirm for you that the Ibycus maps worked fine for me, installed them last night.

I hate to say it but at least for my needs, the detail is just not there in comparison to TopoCanada. There are inlets and islands with no names at all and some sections of the coast are actually missing altogether.

If you choose to install Icubus make sure you get the MapUdate program, as many new maps have been added since his release of the install.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 02:23 PM

Quote:
quote:I hate to say it but at least for my needs, the detail is just not there in comparison to TopoCanada. There are inlets and islands with no names at all and some sections of the coast are actually missing altogether.
Can you point me to some Lat/Lons? I'm busy filling in holes right now for the next edition. I'd like to make sure I get all/most of the most important areas filled in (so far I've added about 3000 NTS sheets for the next version... mostly up north though).

Dale

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page