Where do people get their Topo maps? - Page 3 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 01:51 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Hiking, Biking, Skiing

Once the file was donwloaded you need to run the .exe by simply double clicking on the downloaded file. It takes about 10 minutes to uncompress everything and I think it must run some background program(s) to load the .img files into Mapsource.

The maps just showed up in the list of maps.

The map is labeled Ibycus Topo 1.22. It kind of frightened my how well it worked!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 10:08 PM

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mapitfirst
uncompress everything and I think it must run some background program(s) to load the .img files into Mapsource.

The maps just showed up in the list of maps.

The map is labeled Ibycus Topo 1.22. It kind of frightened my how well it worked!
I tried open it with PDF but gave mre this massege!

I think i have to load some kind of map program(img).

If you know any would you let me know.
Cheers

post #33 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 11:13 AM
Scaling New Heights

Interest: Geocaching Hiking Hunting

Quote:
quote:
I think i have to load some kind of map program.
You'll need Garmin's MapSource. Open MapSource and look for the map select dropdown menu. Choose the mapsset from there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 11:37 AM
Scaling New Heights

Interest: Geocaching Hiking Hunting

For those of you that don't have MapSource here's a method posted by the author of Ibycus topo maps. The post was copied from the CalgaryAreaGeocachers forums.

Quote:
quote:OK, some of you have already seen this, most of you already have some version of Mapsource anyways, and so don't care, but for those of you who have a GPS that didn't come with Trip and Waypoint Manager (i.e. Mapsource without the maps), I recently came across a set of instructions for getting Trip and Waypoint Manager, without the CD.

Step 1:
Download and install Garmin Training Center
http://www8.garmin.com/support/downl...ils.jsp?id=835

Step 2:
Download and install the latest Mapsource Update
http://www8.garmin.com/support/downl...ils.jsp?id=209

Step 3:
Enjoy.

I've tested this, and it worked for me.

I didn't want to share this too generally earlier, as I wasn't sure if it was just a 'loophole' or if you were actually allowed to do it. Anyways, I queried Garmin about it, and the guy I spoke to said that this was an OK thing to do.

This could come in particularly handy for those of you who want to use custom maps, but don't have any version of Mapsource on which to install them.

Dale
post #35 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 01:15 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Hiking, Biking, Skiing

Asghar, Pdops is right. You need to have Garmin's Mapsource software to use the maps from Ibycus. Sorry, I assumed you had Mapsource already.

If you're just looking to view topo maps, the government is the best place to get the old green topo's. I'm sure that link is elsewhere on the site, but here's a shortcut to the ftp download site for the 1:50,00 maps

ftp://ftp2.cits.rncan.gc.ca/pub/canmatrix/50k_300dpi/

You will need some sort of viewer for these files. Most photo applications will read a .tif file as will many other graphics packages. Even MS Paint should open a .tif file.

post #36 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 01:57 PM

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by pdops

For those of you that don't have MapSource here's a method posted by the author of Ibycus topo maps. The post was copied from the CalgaryAreaGeocachers forums.

Quote:
quote:OK, some of you have already seen this, most of you already have some version of Mapsource anyways, and so don't care, but for those of you who have a GPS that didn't come with Trip and Waypoint Manager (i.e. Mapsource without the maps), I recently came across a set of instructions for getting Trip and Waypoint Manager, without the CD.

Step 1:
Download and install Garmin Training Center
http://www8.garmin.com/support/downl...ils.jsp?id=835

Step 2:
Download and install the latest Mapsource Update
http://www8.garmin.com/support/downl...ils.jsp?id=209

Step 3:
Enjoy.

I've tested this, and it worked for me.

I didn't want to share this too generally earlier, as I wasn't sure if it was just a 'loophole' or if you were actually allowed to do it. Anyways, I queried Garmin about it, and the guy I spoke to said that this was an OK thing to do.

This could come in particularly handy for those of you who want to use custom maps, but don't have any version of Mapsource on which to install them.

Dale
Thank you
It did work.(it is very interesting)
Cheers
post #37 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 03:34 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Love the outdoors. Hiking, backpacking, geocaching, camping, canoeing, and kayaking. Did I say camp

Those ibycus maps are great!
Here's my wish list;
- add the gpx data from the trail wiki, to ibycus' maps. Similiar to what this guy is in the process of doing for the Pacific North West - http://www.switchbacks.com/maps/NW_Trails.html
post #38 of (permalink) Old 05-08-2008, 12:12 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by steve1569

Im looking to buy topo maps, where do you guys get yours from?
Hi Steve,

If, by chance, you are looking for a high quality map of the Garibaldi Park area - I've recently published one - see www.clarkgeomatics.ca or pick one up at MEC or Valhalla. Good luck.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page