Where do people get their Topo maps? - Page 2 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 01:02 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Scrambling, hiking, cycling.

If you're using geogratis to download maps, be sure to use the indexes here: ftp://ftp.nrcan.gc.ca/ess/topo/NTSindex/small_scale
You'll save a lot of time with these
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 07:04 PM
Summit Master

thank you Flagstaff, this ftp site is very useful.

I was also using this, to find 1:50K and 1:250K maps. Click on desired area on map, then go to detail page to get map name:

http://maps.nrcan.gc.ca/topo_metadata/92_e.php

Sometimes I also use Place Names as a reference in case I am looking for a map that covers a creek or lake or mountain that I want to visit.

http://geonames.nrcan.gc.ca/search/search_e.php
post #18 of (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 07:07 PM
Summit Master

Link to other sources for digital raster maps - for other areas of the globe, because we don't spend all our time in BC don't we?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_raster_graphic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 04:38 PM

I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned, you can download the 1:50,000 and 1:250,000 for free here:

http://toporama.cits.rncan.gc.ca/toporama_en.html

They're not the greatest maps in the world, but good enough for the girls I go with []

The price is right too.
post #20 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2008, 12:15 AM
Summit Master

Interest: Backpacking, scrambling, skiing, mountain biking, skim boarding, running

International Maps on Broadway. Incredible selection.
post #21 of (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 10:06 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Hiking, Biking, Skiing

I'm building a new suite of maps for the Greater Vancouver area. They will be similar to the classic 1:50,000 scale federal maps (the old green ones) but will use more modern cartographic stylings and of course the most recent data I can get my hands on. The detail will be to the 1:50,000 scale with contours at 40 meters.

The area I plan to cover is described in the attached image. I am from the other side of the mountains so I could use your help. Would this area cover most of your hiking needs? If you're familiar with Mapitfirst, you'll understand why I need to get this right. We add a significant volume of data on top of the map to help people plan thier trips so I hope to only have to build the maps once as it is a significant job. Any adive is helpful.
Tom[/img]
post #22 of (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 10:18 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mapitfirst

I'm building a new suite of maps for the Greater Vancouver area. They will be similar to the classic 1:50,000 scale federal maps (the old green ones) but will use more modern cartographic stylings and of course the most recent data I can get my hands on. The detail will be to the 1:50,000 scale with contours at 40 meters.
Obviously the more maps the merrier, but having 20m contour data would be pretty nice. Since that data is available to us for free from the government, we are always looking for a commercial map (that actually looks good, unlike most of the ones we make ourselves) that includes them. Probably this data is not available for free commercially though, so you are likely using the less precise NTS data (?).
post #23 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 08:19 AM
Headed for the Mountains

I'm torn on using the 20m provincial data vs the NTS Federal data. The data from the provincial files are better in terms of hydrography and obviously the contour interval is tighter. The 20 m contour interval is a little overwhealming for the average user but the 20m data is fabulous for the advance user. The cost of the provincial data is a bit prohibative. To get the maps for this area is (+/-)$25,000(which rubs me the wrong way since you, the tax payer, have already payed for the data). I'm not opposed to using the expensive data but it would reduce the area I cover.
These are examples of how the current maps look using the Federal data set. (resolution has been reduced)
post #24 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 11:14 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mapitfirst

I'm torn on using the 20m provincial data vs the NTS Federal data. The data from the provincial files are better in terms of hydrography and obviously the contour interval is tighter. The 20 m contour interval is a little overwhealming for the average user but the 20m data is fabulous for the advance user. The cost of the provincial data is a bit prohibative. To get the maps for this area is (+/-)$25,000(which rubs me the wrong way since you, the tax payer, have already payed for the data). I'm not opposed to using the expensive data but it would reduce the area I cover.
These are examples of how the current maps look using the Federal data set. (resolution has been reduced)
Yeah, tough decision. 20m contours are probably overwhelming if you make 1:50k paper maps for instance. I guess we already have the 1:20k Clover Point maps, but they are paper-only and expensive.
post #25 of (permalink) Old 03-12-2008, 09:02 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: backcountry skiing, climbing, reading, trying to train my dog, etc.

Contour maps in 3D for all of Canada are available online and free of charge by Earthdetails at:

http://www.earthdetails.com/

Close up it is the 1:50000 scale map, and further away is a blend of 1:250000 and 15m resolution satellite imagery.
post #26 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2008, 05:54 AM
Summit Master

Wow... Great "Earthdetails" site, Yasha...

Thanks for the link...

C'Jack...
post #27 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2008, 09:00 AM
Summit Master

Interest: I enjoy hiking

Another one worth mentioning, although US only, is Acme Mapper. It adds topo onto the Google Maps interface.

Here is a sample of Goat Mountain.
post #28 of (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 06:54 PM
Headed for the Mountains

I just found this site yesterday; Topomaps that load into Garmin free!

http://www.ibycus.com/ibycustopo/

I am just playing with it now and it looks like it has loaded into Mapsource without issue. The file is rather enourmous (1.5 gig)so make sure your connection is fast. It does have maps for just about all of Canada so it's probably worth the wait.

The maps look good and apparently the roads are more current (not too important to the hiking community but better than the vintage maps from Garmin)

I'll let you know how they load into the GPS when I get some time.
post #29 of (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 07:46 PM
Summit Master

Interest: I enjoy hiking

The Ibycus topo maps are great, I've loaded them into my Vista HCX and they look just fine. Forested areas are shown in green and alpine areas are shown in yellow. The streets have no names but that is no big deal.

These maps were mentioned in another thread, there are so many map/gps threads these days.
post #30 of (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 09:22 PM

How do you open it? (After installed)
I did install it but I can't see it on (all program)
Cheers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page