ClubTread Community

ClubTread Community (https://forums.clubtread.com/)
-   Maps, GPS, Orienteering (https://forums.clubtread.com/33-maps-gps-orienteering/)
-   -   GPS on Blackberry (https://forums.clubtread.com/33-maps-gps-orienteering/23997-gps-blackberry.html)

larryl 01-19-2008 11:35 AM

GPS on Blackberry

Has any one tried this feature out? I am considering switching over to a Blackberry at the moment and wondering if this feature is worthwhile to have. One less gadget (GPS device) to carry in the backcountry if I just carry the Blackberry.

cfulker 01-19-2008 11:43 AM

The BlackBerry GPS is suitable for basic road navagation, but I wouldn't consider it particularly viable for backcountry persuits.
No topo maps available, non- waterproof unit & way too short a battery life for any serious use.
Just my opinion, but this is from someone who loves my BlackBerry.

pmicheals 01-19-2008 04:38 PM

quote from a RIM's Product features on the 8310 model
Quote:

quote:Get directions and view maps while on the road.
Global Positioning System (GPS): View your geographic location and pair with BlackBerry® Maps and other location-based applications to aid navigation.
The best way to find out is email the RIM tech department and ask if it will accept programs such as mapsource, mapinfo etc (Cell Distributors are sometimes not up to speed on platform capababilities). Also find out the specs on the GPS engine/platform and 1)tell them you are using it in the backcountry 2)Ask if you require a cell connection to access the GPS function (I couldn't find that answer right now). It is better to get the answer straight from the Horse's mouth so to speak.

We seem to have alot of GPS New product questions lately considering what is coming on The market.

pmicheals 01-19-2008 04:42 PM

Further to above: Trimble killed some of their marketing ability when they stayed strictly proprietary on the firmware for some products, so I would think it would be in RIM's best interest to be flexible with the navigation aspect of this product. For example it would make it valuable as a comm system for work safety where cell coverage is adequate in the back Country.

NS Explorer 01-19-2008 08:08 PM

I have a new BB Pearl, with has a gps receiver built in. I been able to get a position in the backcountry, but the receiever does not seem to be able to maintain a reliable fix in any kind of tree cover. I still carry my Garmin.

larryl 01-22-2008 10:01 PM

Quote:

quote:Originally posted by NS Explorer

I have a new BB Pearl, with has a gps receiver built in. I been able to get a position in the backcountry, but the receiever does not seem to be able to maintain a reliable fix in any kind of tree cover. I still carry my Garmin.
Thanks. I am trying to find out if there are third party maps for the BlackBerry before I'll do anything.

mapitfirst 03-11-2008 12:42 PM

If you get a copy of Memory-Map, the package downloads onto any PDA device using Windows Mobile. You can download the federal topo maps into Memory Map and then onto your device. It's very slick. I use it on my MioP550. The battery life sucks, so I turn it on only when I really need to know where I am. I don't know how well these devices (Blackberry, PDA's) will hold up in less than ideal weather. The're not that tough but you can download whatever map you want into them vs being forced to buy maps from Garmin or magellin.

claudius maximum 06-24-2008 10:20 PM

I tried looking at a map on my blackberry and it was so small I found it basically useless.

magnetite 06-25-2008 09:01 AM

We have a blackberry curve at work. There is currently a known issue with the GPS, where satellite pickup time is extremely long, to the point where you give up. Telus has a $15/month "fix" for this called the Telus navigator [V]. Apparently a Blackberry GPS fix is in the works, so they say.
In areas with cell reception you can use it combining Google Maps and cell antenna triangulation. This fixes your position without the GPS, but not to the same accuracy (we just checked it and it put us about 200 metres from where we actualy are). My coworker has used it far more than I have and doesn't recommend buying it for the GPS functionality, but it's great for everything else it does.
Blackberrys don't use Windows Mobile, and wont run programs written for that OS, unless there is also a blackberry version of the program.
I'll be getting one for work use soon, but I wont be giving up my Garmin/topo Canada.