Input Needed: Whistler Backcountry Map - Page 2 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by msulkers
As well, on the west side of the valley it doesn't make sense to divide between Madeley and Callaghan Lakes. Again, a more commonly used area is the area around Callaghan, Conflict, and Ring Lakes.
I forgot to reply to your last comment re: Callaghan Valley area. What may be useful to many is to break the area into two parts - Callaghan area and Whistler / Wedge / Currie area. Each side of the map would display a respective area. The attached image shows the map sheet name and the red outline for the map extents. Feel free to mark it up and re-post your suggestions.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 11:27 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

The graphic below is a perspective view of the Garibaldi Névé. It was generated using a digital elevation model with an overlay of the map draped over. Each of the squares is 1km by 1km (it's the UTM grid). The original graphic has a much higher resolution, but I think you can get a good feeling for the terrain from the image. Let me know what you think. Thanks.
post #18 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 11:37 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Backpacking, scrambling, skiing, mountain biking, skim boarding, running

That all looks excellent. I'm a map junky and while I don't have input for the proposed map at this stage, I can guarantee that I will buy both the Garibaldi sheet and the new, proposed sheet. Great project!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of (permalink) Old 10-26-2007, 12:12 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Mountaineering, Backcountry Skiing, Hiking, Rock Climbing, Photography

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jeff_clark

The graphic below is a perspective view of the Garibaldi Névé. It was generated using a digital elevation model with an overlay of the map draped over. Each of the squares is 1km by 1km (it's the UTM grid). The original graphic has a much higher resolution, but I think you can get a good feeling for the terrain from the image. Let me know what you think. Thanks.
Wow that's really awesome, but the sharkfin label is in the wrong place.

I just posted some additional comments about the garibaldi map here: https://clubtread.com/sforum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=23675
post #20 of (permalink) Old 10-29-2007, 09:54 AM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Thanks to all who've checked out this thread and posted. I've just started a blog to track and inform the hiking / backcountry community of the progress of the Whistler / Callaghan Valley map - http://cartographology.blogspot.com/. I think it is a better way to for me to organize the project.

At this point, the blog is sparse but I'll be adding content very soon. I welcome all to drop by with your comments.

Cheers,

Jeff
post #21 of (permalink) Old 10-29-2007, 10:19 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Mountaineering, Backcountry Skiing, Hiking, Rock Climbing, Photography

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jeff_clark

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by msulkers
As well, on the west side of the valley it doesn't make sense to divide between Madeley and Callaghan Lakes. Again, a more commonly used area is the area around Callaghan, Conflict, and Ring Lakes.
I forgot to reply to your last comment re: Callaghan Valley area. What may be useful to many is to break the area into two parts - Callaghan area and Whistler / Wedge / Currie area. Each side of the map would display a respective area. The attached image shows the map sheet name and the red outline for the map extents. Feel free to mark it up and re-post your suggestions.

This looks like a good E/W spilt, however IMO there's not need to include anything north of the Lillooet River on the Whistler - Mt. Currie map.

The split leaves a nice option for a future map of the southern half of the squamish-cheakamus divice (cloudburst, Tricouni, Brew, Cypress)
post #22 of (permalink) Old 10-30-2007, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
quote:This looks like a good E/W spilt, however IMO there's not need to include anything north of the Lillooet River on the Whistler - Mt. Currie map.

The split leaves a nice option for a future map of the southern half of the squamish-cheakamus divice (cloudburst, Tricouni, Brew, Cypress)
The northern extension is there because of the overlap between the Whistler sheet and the Duffey Lake sheet (future map). However, as mentioned, the extents probably don't need to be that far to the north.
post #23 of (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 12:49 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Jeff,
I am the chair of the Hiking Trail Task Force in Whistler. We are promoting improvements to hiking trails and are working on a report of recommendations for the Whistler area. We have compiled an atlas of existing as well as proposed trails.Perhaps we should get together to exchange information.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page