GPS for cars - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Default GPS for cars

I'm always getting lost in the cities and thought this would help. Are there any GPS for cars that anyone has tried, bought or can recommend?

Go placidly amid the noise and the haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 09:53 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Women

I LOVE Microsoft Streets and Maps software (You can get it at costco where I got mine...) comes with a USB GPS plugs into a laptop, sure works nice, huge screen (laptop screen).

It has numerous features, night display (green and black) if choosen, it tells you with a voice if you are going off course etc... Total trip km, etc.

BUT I know that isnt a tiny handheld but sure works nice...
A buddy of mine took his down to LA and said it was the ultimate for getting around Los Angelos without knowing the area.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 09:58 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Mountain biking, hiking, nature photography, astronomy, music...

London Drugs sells a few specifically for cars, along with city maps for them; most are Magellan brand. My Garmin 60Csx works well; I've got the Canada metro guide maps for the lower mainland. It's helped me find a few city parks and it's great when I'm driving around in the dark someplace unfamiliar and I can't see landmarks. The Garmin 76 series are good too. The smaller palm-sized hiking Garmin units (eTrex, Vista, Gecko etc) don't work very well in cars; the antennas are too small and they lose the signal as soon as they're not under the front window.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 10:11 PM
Banned

There's always Tom-Tom...kinda pricey and I've never used it personally, but it appears to be what you're looking for!

http://www.tomtom.com/products/categ...D=0&Language=4

post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 07:17 AM
Off the Beaten Path

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by magnetite

The smaller palm-sized hiking Garmin units (eTrex, Vista, Gecko etc) don't work very well in cars; the antennas are too small and they lose the signal as soon as they're not under the front window.
And they don't do routing either.

A friend has been using Tom-Tom on his PDA for a few years. It's pretty good in a big city but the road atlas is out of date for smaller towns and rural areas. It's afraid of bridges too.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 08:22 AM
Summit Master

Interest: Love the outdoors. Hiking, backpacking, geocaching, camping, canoeing, and kayaking. Did I say camp

[quote]quote:Originally posted by Slow Dog

Quote:
And they don't do routing either.
If by routing you mean showing which roads to take as oppossed to a straight line course, then I think you're mistaken.
Magellan sells an add on called Direct Route, that works along with the Street maps that gives directions based on where the streets are. It even takes in to account which streets are one way. If you miss your turn, it will automatically re-route and show which street you now want to take. I'm sure that Garmin has a version as well.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 08:52 AM
Off the Beaten Path

I have an eTrex Legend and it doesn't do any kind of automatic-routing I'm pretty sure the other eTrex models are the same. Garmin has around 50 different GPS units. The cheaper handhelds don't do auto-routing. The auto specific ones don't have track logs or downloadable routes or, in some cases, downloadable maps but they do have a speaker for voice prompts (worth having). The marine units do it all -- large screen, auto-routing, downloadable maps, track logs plus a network for hooking up other stuff like depth sounders or sonar.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 09:06 AM
Off the Beaten Path

We have a Garmin with a car antenna - you just run the wire out through your windown and a magnet secures it to the roof of your car. That can be an option if you want to get a hiking GPS and then purchase additional routing software (if needed). When driving through Saskatchewan with the roof antenna we picked up more satellites than the GPS could display - over 20 I think!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-24-2007, 10:53 AM
Headed for the Mountains

I have the Garmin 60CSx for hiking and car use. The screen is fairly large and easy to read, backlit (if you want), and the reception is exceptional both under trees on the mountain and inside the car. You can get a little suction cup mount to put it on your windshield if you want it to be easier to access.

The 60CSx does autorouting, provided you have a detailed basemap. But what's nice is that the TopoCanada mapset shows topography and has roads and streets with routing information. When I'm driving, I set the directions to 'follow road' and when I'm hiking, I set it to 'off-road'.

There are some quirks, but overall, I'm quite happy with this unit.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-24-2007, 11:29 AM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Skiing,Mountain Biking, Surfing, Hiking, Climbing

I also have the 60CSX have had it for over a year for back country and in my vehicle I have been very impressed.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page