Any recommendations for learning compass use? - Page 2 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of (permalink) Old 07-19-2007, 10:06 PM

Bring a deck of cards with you. If you think you're lost, sit down and start playing a game of solitaire. In no time at all you'll have someone peering over your shoulder telling you to put the red 7 on the black 8. Then ask them how to get back.

With a deck of cards, and a game of solitaire, you're never truly lost! [}[}[}[}[}

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of (permalink) Old 07-29-2007, 12:19 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: hiking

gps is annoying
post #18 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2007, 11:28 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Mountain biking, hiking, nature photography, astronomy, music...

Get lost!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2007, 12:40 AM
MJB
Off the Beaten Path

I LOVE THE COMPASS!!!

Suunto has a nice booklet that they include with every compass sale.
(My advice is to get a Silva Ranger. Sighting compass with declination adjustment.

Get an NTS map of some safe area and play around with bearings (taking and following) and don't forget to understand declination.

The compass is basically a big protractor and the world is a peice of paper.

Learn the meditation of the contour and the sinuous flow of gully and ridge. Absolutely, hook up with orienteering clubs. Or work in forestry pre-gps.

post #20 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2007, 01:05 AM
Summit Master

Interest: Backpacking, scrambling, skiing, mountain biking, skim boarding, running

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by carmen

I have avoided buying a GPS because of price and I'm not a techie.

Is there any advantage in using a compass versus a GPS, besides not having a satellite nearby?
The compass should be your primary resource. The GPS is an extra. With a compass you have no worries about getting a good satellite lock which can be a real problem in some environments. Then there is the battery issue: Sh!t happens and batteries die but a compass doesn't need any. A compass is always "on" and provides very accurate information at a glance. A GPS is also more easily broken by dropping it on a rock.

Having said that, a GPS can be a nice/useful/fun additional resource. A compass is a poor tool to locate your specific location (as opposed to basic information about direction) without good visibility. Basic functions of GPSs are easy to learn and have the wonderful ability to show you exactly where you have been and how to retrace your steps. Combined with some map reading skills, they can easily show you exactly where you are regardless of visibility with a degree of accuracy that still amazes me.
post #21 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2007, 11:19 PM
Summit Master

http://www.map-reading.com/
Here is another link to check out. They also suggest Hjellstrom's book which I found to be fairly good for the beginner.
post #22 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2007, 07:52 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, exploring, reading, random shiny things

I was browsing the internet on compass use and found the government site's discussion on magnetic north:
http://gsc.nrcan.gc.ca/geomag/nmp/northpole_e.php

For example, Vancouver is at 49 11 N, 110 8 W. But even knowing that magnetic north is at 81 3 N, 110 8 W, you can't simply subtract to get your compass adjustment. Instead, we can rely on official approximations as to the adjustment when using your compass.

So, if you're in Vancouver, actual north is at approximately 340 deg. Does anyone know where we can find declination figures for Canada (and specifically BC)?
post #23 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2007, 08:01 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: fishing, downhill/x-country skiing,hiking/backpacking, canoeing, snowshoing
post #24 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2007, 08:05 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: hiking, backpacking, scrambling, climbing

A book I found great when I was learning was called 'Staying Found'. I don't know more than that, but I found it at my local library. I'm sure yours would have comparable books. I took it out one day, played around, and wrote myself a couple notes on important things I might need to refer back to.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page