ClubTread Community

ClubTread Community (https://forums.clubtread.com/)
-   Maps, GPS, Orienteering (https://forums.clubtread.com/33-maps-gps-orienteering/)
-   -   Orienteering, what's your opinion? (https://forums.clubtread.com/33-maps-gps-orienteering/18594-orienteering-whats-your-opinion.html)

Wildman 11-23-2006 06:44 PM

Orienteering, what's your opinion?

First of all it's history link.
http://www.momentech.com.au/droc/His...ienteering.asp

I have watched a few competitions and they use a flashlight at night when competing. I don't think this should be allowed. It's compass and map, not compass, map and flashlight or headlight. Fluorescent compass is ok, but a flashlight? Come on, is that orienteering? Might as while use a GPS since that's deviating from the only tools supposed to be allowed in competition.

Who can orienteer at night without a light? I can to some extent.

magnetite 11-23-2006 07:00 PM

Exactly! Especially since all potentially dangerous holes, embankments, drop-offs, slippery roots, devils club, sharp eye-level sticks etc. are clearly marked on all maps. It's just not sporting to let these people have a light.

Wildman 11-23-2006 07:08 PM

Quote:

quote:Originally posted by magnetite

Exactly! Especially since all potentially dangerous holes, embankments, drop-offs, slippery roots, devils club, sharp eye-level sticks etc. are clearly marked on all maps. It's just not sporting to let these people have a light.
Well if I can do it, they can do it. Can you picture them lurking around in the dark during war time with a light. Sitting ducks. [xx(]
Join the club and learn how to do it. [:p]

brucew 11-23-2006 07:20 PM

Quote:

quote:Originally posted by Wildman

I have watched a few competitions and they use a flashlight at night when competing. I don't think this should be allowed. It's compass and map, not compass, map and flashlight or headlight.

Sans map is more of a challenge. When I go orienteering I go without the map , compass, or GPS. I have some idea of where I want to be but I'm usually well away from my destination when I arrive. If this was a race I am pleased to say I would enjoy it that much more .

Dru 11-23-2006 07:51 PM

I won an orienteering competition once without using a map or compass... it was in elementary school and I followed the tracks of the teacher who had set up the course for us ;)[:p]

Wildman 11-23-2006 07:57 PM

Quote:

quote:Originally posted by brucew

Quote:

I have watched a few competitions and they use a flashlight at night when competing. I don't think this should be allowed. It's compass and map, not compass, map and flashlight or headlight.

Sans map is more of a challenge. When I go orienteering I go without the map , compass, or GPS. I have some idea of where I want to be but I'm usually well away from my destination when I arrive. If this was a race I am pleased to say I would enjoy it that much more .
Quote:

Quote:

If by SANS Map do you mean something like a Forest Cover Map which is a map of the bush and tree growth primarily as while as elevation and contours, I think that would be cheating also in competitions. You would be able to see where the easier vegetation to travel through is.
For learning, that would be a great idea.
I am not sure what you mean in the statement I coloured blue above.
There could be many ways of training and developing to different levels. Speed development would definitely be a part in each experience catagory.
Can you imagine all the different types of maps, aerial photos, etc. a orienteering type club could accumulate for members to use.
Geez, digital maps cost $300.00 to $600.00 per map from what I remember when I tried to buy one.

Wildman 11-23-2006 08:11 PM

Quote:

quote:Originally posted by Dru

I won an orienteering competition once without using a map or compass... it was in elementary school and I followed the tracks of the teacher who had set up the course for us ;)[:p]
That's exactly it Dru. It's not just reading a map and compass. It's reading all available handicaps. Finding trails of various types, learning how to chose between traversing along a ridge or valley or side hill, ect. Taking advantage of streams and finding open areas to get bearings from. It's what we old timers call bush wise. [^]

brucew 11-23-2006 09:08 PM

Sans = Without; deprived or destitute of.
I enjoy being lost in the hills which I climb. I like the idea of bushwhacking and crawling around in the woods . Having a map, compass , or any tech stuff to find my way just wipes out the feeling of exploring . I guess with oreinteering you are getting to a destination the quickest way without the exploring aspect. A thrill to some but not to me. My opinion only.

Rachelo 11-23-2006 09:19 PM

Is most orienteering done at night? I was under the impression that most operated with the tools of map, compass, and sun. Thus, flashlight not really all that overboard..

If you like bushwhacking and exploring, then why would you not just choose to go bushwhacking and exploring... and not orienteering? It's not my choice of ways to spend time in the mountains either, but all the best for those who do.

Wildman 11-23-2006 09:56 PM

Quote:

Sans = Without; deprived or destitute of.
I enjoy being lost in the hills which I climb. I like the idea of bushwhacking and crawling around in the woods . Having a map, compass , or any tech stuff to find my way just wipes out the feeling of exploring . I guess with oreinteering you are getting to a destination the quickest way without the exploring aspect. A thrill to some but not to me. My opinion only.
I agree with you Bruce. I prefer to bushwack and explore also, and if you ever read any of my TR's, I don't use them gadgets much either. But sometimes it's nice to do that with others, or there are others that would like to do it to but are not experienced enough to go off the trails. Orienteering will teach and give these hikers confidence to that using any type of gadgets or nothing at all.

Wildman 11-23-2006 10:17 PM

Quote:

quote:Originally posted by Rachelo

Is most orienteering done at night? I was under the impression that most operated with the tools of map, compass, and sun. Thus, flashlight not really all that overboard..

If you like bushwhacking and exploring, then why would you not just choose to go bushwhacking and exploring... and not orienteering? It's not my choice of ways to spend time in the mountains either, but all the best for those who do.
Most orienteering is done in the day but like the World competitions, the last one I think, it was in South America and they go both day and night to reach their check points. They were using a light at night which I don't agree to since this is a very high level of competition. They should have been using my method of travelling at night instead of using a light.
I take it you are a climber. Not all trails lead right to the mountains so you have to bushwack to get to some of them. If you aren't, to me travelling most roads and trails is boring and sometimes just to crowded. That's ok if you like that sort of thing.

darrenbell 11-24-2006 04:55 AM

Back when "Eco- challenge " was televised, the competitors were using headlamps at night, and I was under the impression that was a world class type competition? Well, up until the playmates were involved.:)

johngenx 11-24-2006 05:53 AM

Quote:

quote:Originally posted by darrenbell

Back when "Eco- challenge " was televised, the competitors were using headlamps at night, and I was under the impression that was a world class type competition? Well, up until the playmates were involved.:)
Did you see the playmates in action in Fiji? Those gals were pretty hardcore! And fit! Don't knock 'em just cause they were nekkid bimbos in the mag. They were better than many other teams...

Wildman 11-24-2006 06:09 AM

Quote:

quote:Originally posted by johngenx

Quote:

quote:Originally posted by darrenbell

Did you see the playmates in action in Fiji? Those gals were pretty hardcore! And fit! Don't knock 'em just cause they were nekkid bimbos in the mag. They were better than many other teams...
They probably joined a orienteering club to get in shape. :D

darrenbell 11-24-2006 06:15 AM

Oh, I agree John, those gals were in great shape and as you say, they out performed many other competitors. It just seemed (to me anyways) to lower the overall level of credibility of what I saw as hardcore training and competition. The playmates didn't ego-out like some, or whine like others as well. Nice eye candy as well.:)