Orienteering, what's your opinion? - Page 2 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of (permalink) Old 11-24-2006, 06:52 AM

ROGAINE orienteering competitions are as long as 24-hours and thus competitors are out after dark and headlamps are definitely used. I wouldn't compete at night without a light. I also wouldn't intentionally get lost for "fun". But then maybe I'm missing the West Coast humour here? Getting lost in the mountains? Bushwhacking at night without a light, compass or map? All for fun?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of (permalink) Old 11-24-2006, 06:56 AM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, hunting, fishing, and many others.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by freak

ROGAINE orienteering competitions are as long as 24-hours and thus competitors are out after dark and headlamps are definitely used. I wouldn't compete at night without a light. I also wouldn't intentionally get lost for "fun". But then maybe I'm missing the West Coast humour here? Getting lost in the mountains? Bushwhacking at night without a light, compass or map? All for fun?
Yeah, it's great. Give it a try. A real challenge. Been doing it for years.
post #18 of (permalink) Old 11-24-2006, 08:58 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: hiking, fishing, archery
Send a message via MSN to bagheera

Interesting. I don't know if you were in the Army Wildman but when I was we used flashlights to help us out at night(although as sparringly as possible). For us it sucked not knowing where you were, sucked even more when you ran into the enemy(or worse your CSM) because you're lost.

However I also agree that it is fun to go out and explore as long as you know how to get back.

By the way a group of people from the Czech Republic were spending last summer at my Dad's bible camp north of Saskatoon. They were mapping out an area around there for these oreinteering competitions. They said that was one the biggest in Canada they have worked on. I think they also said that there were going to be a few in Alberta and BC as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of (permalink) Old 11-24-2006, 11:44 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: The outdoors,travel, maps, languages,natural history etc.

There is a long distance orienteering relay held in Finland each June. Each team has seven runners, and there were 1500 teams this year. Each runner covers from 8 to 15 km, but this is measured as the crow flies, so actual distances covered are longer.

In June, the nights are short in Finland. The start is at 11:00 p.m. just as darkness is falling, so all the first leg runners are wearing powerful headlamps as they wait for the signal to grab their maps and head off.

Get an amazing video clip of the start here:

http://www.jukola2006.net/index.php?lang=en&page=videot

In June 2006 a Canadian team from Vancouver participated for the first time ever.They were all members of GVOC:
http://www.orienteeringbc.ca/gvoc/
GH
post #20 of (permalink) Old 11-24-2006, 11:52 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Just a P.S.
When you watch this, you will wonder (as you should) how so many competitors in a mass start can NOT be following each other, the courses are very heavily "forked", meaning there are variations. You must be reading your map and doing your own navigation, as you have NO idea which of many "forks" could be yours ...especially early in the leg. An electronic timing chip on each runner's finger is used to record the time at which you reached each control.
GH
post #21 of (permalink) Old 11-24-2006, 12:03 PM
MJB
Off the Beaten Path

Kamloops has an excellent O club. Sage Orienteering Club. Great bunch of people and totally into every aspect of the sport.
Get involved in some of the competitions for fun and see just how competitive it can be. It is not like hiking at all but makes you a better hiker in my opinion.

It's fun.

And lookit the neat maps you get.
post #22 of (permalink) Old 11-24-2006, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, hunting, fishing, and many others.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Grey Hair

There is a long distance orienteering relay held in Finland each June. Each team has seven runners, and there were 1500 teams this year. Each runner covers from 8 to 15 km, but this is measured as the crow flies, so actual distances covered are longer.

In June, the nights are short in Finland. The start is at 11:00 p.m. just as darkness is falling, so all the first leg runners are wearing powerful headlamps as they wait for the signal to grab their maps and head off.

Get an amazing video clip of the start here:

http://www.jukola2006.net/index.php?lang=en&page=videot

In June 2006 a Canadian team from Vancouver participated for the first time ever.They were all members of GVOC:
http://www.orienteeringbc.ca/gvoc/
GH
Wow, I just about started climbing the tree to get out of the way. Thanks for the links Grey Hair. This looked alot different from the Eco- challenge I seen on TV. I guess this convinced me that headlamps are a must. Hate to get run over by that herd in the dark.
Good to see different levels of competition to at the BC link.
post #23 of (permalink) Old 11-24-2006, 02:57 PM
Summit Master

Try this...

http://www.catchingfeatures.com/

C'Jack...
post #24 of (permalink) Old 11-24-2006, 03:46 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Chilliwack Jack

Try this...

http://www.catchingfeatures.com/

C'Jack...
That's good fun, C'Jack!
I know someone who's addicted to it ...it can get worse than any "gameboy"!

Wildman, some of us just walk/jog/scramble. There are all different levels of competitiveness from "don't care" to "sometimes fun to beat the other old ladies" (me?) to hard core international athlete. Our daughter was at Jukola with the Vancouver team this year. She is a member of this last category, and proud owner of one of those mega-headlamps!
GH
post #25 of (permalink) Old 11-26-2006, 08:11 PM
MJB
Off the Beaten Path

I agree.
Absolutely addictive.
Fun though.
post #26 of (permalink) Old 10-18-2008, 10:08 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Hiking, diving, snowshoeing, kayaking

Orienteering- a terrific sport.
Happened to notice the previous posts on Orienteering. It is a great sport – it has something for just about every age and level of fitness. There is a great deal of information on the internet to give you a good insight about what is involved in participating.
Canada has a national body called the Canadian Orienteering Federation. They are at http://www.orienteering.ca/. They can help you get in contact with your nearest club or provincial organization or even help you start a club.

The sport has been around for over 100 years with the first recorded public event taking place in Norway in 1897. National championship in Scandinavian countries can draw in excess of 40,000 competitors.

I can't think of a better way for people to become comfortable with using a topographical map and compass than participating in this sport.

Happy Trails

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page