Toporama, newer version. - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-10-2006, 10:18 AM Thread Starter
Nis
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Gettin out, Hiking, 4x4ing, Bit of Biking, workin on the truck, and of course drinkin beer!
Default Toporama, newer version.

Did a search on this on CT and only found an older looking version, this atlas of Canada looks more detailed and has more features. Forgive me if this was already posted.

http://atlas.nrcan.gc.ca/site/english/maps/topo/map

Take the high road
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-10-2006, 10:53 AM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

Wow, they finally got the scale issue fixed! Used to be the maps were compressed so they were twice as wide as they were high, screwed the scale. This is much better. Too bad the underlying data is only 1:250K rather than 1:50, but this is still a vast improvement. [8D] For BC, I think the Basemap is still much better but this is great for areas like the Yukon or NWT where online maps are hard to get and out of date.

----------------------------------------
Thinking you are seeing, but not seeing. Thinking you know, but not knowing. This spring is full of a lot of such things.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-10-2006, 11:02 AM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Backcountry skiing, Hiking, coping with fitness issues associated with aging

The old Toporama was almost useless. I am delighted to be able to tour the topo maps of all of Canada. I agree with Dru, that I'd like to see a higher level of detail... but I own the eTopo series for around here. With them, it is a bit of a pain to find and load the correct map, and with the online version it is essentially one huge continuous map. The kind of information that is presented is different from the BC Basemap, and I appreciate being able to see both.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-10-2006, 08:52 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: hiking, backpacking, scrambling, climbing

I haven't seen this before. Very cool! For those of us in a province without an accessible basemap, this is pretty great. One question - the thing that I liked on the old toporama website was that you could view the whole mapsheet. ie. all of 82-O/6. On this, while you are able to move around, Even the largest size map is fairly small. Has anyone found the ability to do such a thing that I may have missed?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-10-2006, 09:09 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

You mean like get rid of the frame and just have the map?

You can fit it on within your area of interest by changing the display scale but I don't think you can change the size of the frame beyond the S M L choices they give you. But I didn't play with it that much.

----------------------------------------
Thinking you are seeing, but not seeing. Thinking you know, but not knowing. This spring is full of a lot of such things.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-11-2006, 10:49 AM
Summit Master

Interest: I enjoy hiking

Thats cool, I'm glad they are improving that site! The level of detail seems the same as the NTS 1:50000 maps, to me? (did you guys zoom in enough?). I think they could still improve it more by having North straight up instead of at an angle, and UTM grid lines.
92G06 NTS map: Toporama:
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-13-2006, 05:09 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: hiking, backpacking, scrambling, climbing

Dru - I know how to just see the image, but I can still only see the image that is as big as the 'L' size. On the old toporama, I can view a whole map sheet as one image.
Old site - 82-06
New site - Biggest piece of same map I can view
The new one may be more colourful and have proper scale, but the layout sucks.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page