Insurance for Trekking Overseas? - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2017, 12:25 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Default Insurance for Trekking Overseas?

Hi, was wondering if anyone is willing to share suggestions on travel insurance for Canadians heading overseas for trekking and possibly climbing. Any companies with positive reviews? Any to avoid? What would one expect to pay for a couple months of travel?

Also, if anyone has been to Ladakh and is willing to chat about the experience, please PM me. Cheers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2017, 08:26 AM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Getting outside in any capacity.

I would highly highly recommend BCAA travel insurance. A serious almost deadly surfing accident in Hawaii for a close family member (involving surgery and a month long hospital stay) was covered with zero question.

The cost is minimal. There are lots of variables in cost, age, how much coverage, how long you are gone for, etc. I think it cost me in the area of around $125-150 for the entire year for a fairly well packaged travel insurance policy.

Ones to avoid: Bel-air (also known formerly as CDI). Reason: Good luck getting them to pay for anything.

“Real adventure is defined best as a journey from which you may not come back alive, and certainly not as the same person.” - Yvon Chouinard

Last edited by pdomansky; 06-07-2017 at 08:31 AM. Reason: Adding comments.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2017, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Thanks for the reply. My wife has BCAA so maybe that will work for us. Will definitely look into it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2017, 11:54 AM
Off the Beaten Path

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Sack View Post
Thanks for the reply. My wife has BCAA so maybe that will work for us. Will definitely look into it.
No problem. If you (or your wife) are a BCAA member, I think you also get a rate discount on insurance.

“Real adventure is defined best as a journey from which you may not come back alive, and certainly not as the same person.” - Yvon Chouinard
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2017, 12:34 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Adventure travel

Make sure to check any altitude restrictions on a trekking policy, also restrictions on use of "technical" equipment, ie, ropes, climbing gear.

Trail Talk
"Retired but not yet tired"
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2017, 03:26 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail Talk View Post
Make sure to check any altitude restrictions on a trekking policy, also restrictions on use of "technical" equipment, ie, ropes, climbing gear.
That is a good point. I would certainly call or verify with BCAA that they do cover climbing/trekking or use of gear and ropes before buying it.

That being said, I was browsing MEC's web site, and came across member benefits:

10% SAVINGS ON THE CO-OPERATORS TRAVEL INSURANCE
Save 10% on travel insurance
Members are eligible for 10% savings on competitively priced travel insurance through The Co-operators, and you’ll be covered when doing outdoor activities. Call 1.800.449.4084 for details. Please have your MEC member number ready

See the link here: https://www.mec.ca/en/explore/special-offers and search for insurance.

Please note I have not used them before, so I cannot comment on how they work, but it is listed on the MEC web site.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2017, 03:51 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Exploring, hiking, scrambling

Hi Candy Sack, I can't offer reviews but found this on a quick search: http://www.alpineclubofcanada.ca/acc-trip-insurance/. I'd trust Bridget's review, she's done lots of expedition type trips. Here's more info on TuGo: https://www.tugo.com/en/travel-insurance/sport/ - looks like they cover upto 6000m if you buy their 'adventure sports coverage' option.

For regular travel insurance (BlueCross, BCAA, whatever's attached to your credit card, etc.), climbing is often under general exclusions: "mountain climbing (where ropes or guides are normally used)". I'd read through the certificate to make sure there's no loop hole.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2017, 05:26 PM
Hittin' the Trails

I'm in the same boat. If you go to TuGO's site, it mentions that you can get their insurance at BCAA or Sussex Insurance. I went into BCAA and their underwiter is Tugo
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2017, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
Banned

That's true. We ended up using BCAA. It cost more than I think we wanted... but their coverage is pretty good and comprehensive.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page