Recommendations for a 3-day mountaineering near Vancouver? - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-10-2015, 10:27 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Default Recommendations for a 3-day mountaineering near Vancouver?

Hello folks,

I am looking for a 3-day mountaineering trip destination near Vancouver. I have never been to Canada before--no idea about its geography, regulations, public transportation systems, customs of having climbing partners and so on. I have climbed mountains in Himalayas, and a couple times in Sierra Nevada, but with no experience in mountains in Canada especially in winter.

I will be arriving at YVR in the afternoon of December 11 and wish to come back to the city in the afternoon of December 14 after the climb. This means that I hope to spend the three nights on a mountain. I guess I'd be happy if I'll be able to climb a peak (or two) of around grade 3. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-10-2015, 11:55 PM
High on the Mountain Top

What equipment will you be bringing? Do you have budget for a guide?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-10-2015, 11:59 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

Too hard to call this far in advance at this time of year. Avalanche conditions may mean the best thing for you to do is sit in a cafe reading a book. Check back a few days beforehand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-11-2015, 01:28 AM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steventy View Post
What equipment will you be bringing? Do you have budget for a guide?
I will be bringing boots, ice axes, and of course camping gears. About the guide, I have little budget and I'd just like to climb on my own as far as it's reasonable to the route that I will climb in the end.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-11-2015, 01:34 AM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru View Post
Too hard to call this far in advance at this time of year. Avalanche conditions may mean the best thing for you to do is sit in a cafe reading a book. Check back a few days beforehand.
Good to know that avalanche conditions there can and should be checked beforehand!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-11-2015, 02:25 AM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Hiking, Backpacking, Skiing, Space History

When you say class 3 it sounds like you are more looking for scrambling opportunities. Are you looking to hike in, set up camp and spend a couple days scrambling to different peaks, or looking to camp in different locations each night?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-11-2015, 03:19 AM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellymcdonald78 View Post
When you say class 3 it sounds like you are more looking for scrambling opportunities. Are you looking to hike in, set up camp and spend a couple days scrambling to different peaks, or looking to camp in different locations each night?
I would prefer to camp in different locations each night to climb a single, long route, if this is an available option. If not, to hike in, set up camp and scramble to different peaks will also be fine.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-11-2015, 01:08 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Your going to have to be lucky with the weather, Garibaldi would be an option, Elfin lakes could be done as well.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-11-2015, 06:12 PM
Summit Master

As others said, weather is major factor that time of year. Ratio of days with rain versus days without rain is roughly between 5:1 and 7:1; higher up it's whiteout. If you do get lucky, being 1st time in Coast Mtns I'd probably suggest Garibaldi. Being on budget you could camp in Squamish & try Garibaldi via Brohm ridge (harder, more dangerous), or hike up on 11th evening to Garibaldi lake, setup camp, then on 12 and 13 explore around the lake (Price, Panorama/Gentian, etc) then hike down and out on 14th. You need to do plenty of research beforehand.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-11-2015, 06:16 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Hiking, Backpacking, Skiing, Space History

What camping equipment are you bringing? You'll likely need a proper 4-season tent as Coastal Range snow can be both heavy and plentiful (if your timing is off). Will you be renting a vehicle?
post #11 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2015, 04:42 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Where are you coming from?
post #12 of (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 10:53 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeljkok View Post
As others said, weather is major factor that time of year. Ratio of days with rain versus days without rain is roughly between 5:1 and 7:1; higher up it's whiteout. If you do get lucky, being 1st time in Coast Mtns I'd probably suggest Garibaldi. Being on budget you could camp in Squamish & try Garibaldi via Brohm ridge (harder, more dangerous), or hike up on 11th evening to Garibaldi lake, setup camp, then on 12 and 13 explore around the lake (Price, Panorama/Gentian, etc) then hike down and out on 14th. You need to do plenty of research beforehand.
These are great information. Thank you! And, the Garibaldi seems the best option for me. I am further wondering if there are any crevices around the peaks near Garibaldi lake, and if without snowshoe/ski it could get very tough.
post #13 of (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 11:11 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellymcdonald78 View Post
What camping equipment are you bringing? You'll likely need a proper 4-season tent as Coastal Range snow can be both heavy and plentiful (if your timing is off). Will you be renting a vehicle?
I'll bring a 1.5-person tent, which is insulated with Gore-Tex.

I decided not to rent a vehicle. Since I am now considering of hiking/climbing around Garibaldi lake based on others' suggestions above, I am trying to find a bus that may drop me off at the Rubble Creek Bridge, from where I may hike to the Rubble Creek Parking Lot (further to Garibaldi lake).

Last edited by Young; 11-30-2015 at 12:48 AM.
post #14 of (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 11:14 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steventy View Post
Where are you coming from?
I am coming from Southern California, where I have stayed a couple of years. Before that, I was living in Korea.
post #15 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2015, 01:42 AM
Headed for the Mountains

The Greyhound "used to" drop off at the Rubble Creek turnoff. Otherwise you could get to Whistler, then transit bus down to Function Junction/Cheakamus Crossing and walk the 9-ish kms to the Helm Creek trail turnoff....

PS: lots of snow coming starting Tuesday, easy scrambling may not be available, snowpack may be unstable/deep.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page