Recommendations for a 3-day mountaineering near Vancouver? - Page 3 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2015, 01:54 AM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Heavy snow warning, strong wind warning, and the season-first avalanche warning at my first visit to BC?! It rained heavily, snow fell hard. The road was slippery. A landslide blocked the highway 12, which connects Whistler to Lytton.

After all however, my experience in Southwestern BC was great. I stopped by Whistler, Brandywine Fall, Alice Lake, Squamish "Chief," Stein Valley, EC Manning Park, and Bridal Veil Fall. In Vancouver, I climbed at the Hive bouldering gym and even looked around the Museum of Anthropology at UBC. Also, my friend married there in the same period by chance and I joined the party as well.

In Stein valley, too, snow fell. After around two hours of hike, fresh deep snow and fallen bushes dragged me much. Camping in the valley was so great although it was a bit chilly. Nobody was there except myself. Thank you, alexcanuck, for the great suggestion!

Overall, that's true, weather really matters there. The tinge of wilderness and remoteness felt so exceptional compared to other regions that I've been to so far. I appreciate all of you for providing valuable information that made the trip possible. Next time, in a "right" time of a year, I really wish climbing a peak around Garibalidi!
Dru, timv and Steventy like this.

Last edited by Young; 12-17-2015 at 02:16 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2015, 10:14 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Glad it worked out. Our weather gods are powerful and hold personal grudges, indeed. A simple camp in the Stein is sometimes the best option unless suffering through peril is a goal.
post #33 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2015, 11:39 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young View Post
Heavy snow warning, strong wind warning, and the season-first avalanche warning at my first visit to BC?! It rained heavily, snow fell hard. The road was slippery. A landslide blocked the highway 12, which connects Whistler to Lytton.

After all however, my experience in Southwestern BC was great. I stopped by Whistler, Brandywine Fall, Alice Lake, Squamish "Chief," Stein Valley, EC Manning Park, and Bridal Veil Fall. In Vancouver, I climbed at the Hive bouldering gym and even looked around the Museum of Anthropology at UBC. Also, my friend married there in the same period by chance and I joined the party as well.

In Stein valley, too, snow fell. After around two hours of hike, fresh deep snow and fallen bushes dragged me much. Camping in the valley was so great although it was a bit chilly. Nobody was there except myself. Thank you, alexcanuck, for the great suggestion!

Overall, that's true, weather really matters there. The tinge of wilderness and remoteness felt so exceptional compared to other regions that I've been to so far. I appreciate all of you for providing valuable information that made the trip possible. Next time, in a "right" time of a year, I really wish climbing a peak around Garibalidi!
Thanks for coming back to post an update. It sounds like you had a great first trip despite the crazy weather.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page