Tragedy near Canmore - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-29-2012, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Default Tragedy near Canmore

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/two-cli...berta-1.897219

Anyone know much about this? I haven't climbed Heart Creek before, but I have hiked through there a few times and don't recall seeing much more than single pitch stuff. There is some scrambling up the east side of the creek (Heart Mountain), but according to news sources they were climbing on the west side of the creek.

Sad day for climbing, you don't hear about this kind of thing too often. My heart goes out to friends and family...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-29-2012, 09:17 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Don't jump to conclusions based on that news report. They said they were climbing with full safety gear and then mention the word hiking fall several times.

There are multipitch routes at Heart FYI, as well as some old school run out poorly protected routes which rarely get climbed. There is also the scramble, and hikers can also scramble to the top of some of the cliffs near the end of the hiking trail. It could have been anything of those based on the total lack of info from the news report. The news report is way to vague if you are trying to draw conclusions from this.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-29-2012, 11:40 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by skibum101

Don't jump to conclusions based on that news report. They said they were climbing with full safety gear and then mention the word hiking fall several times.

There are multipitch routes at Heart FYI, as well as some old school run out poorly protected routes which rarely get climbed. There is also the scramble, and hikers can also scramble to the top of some of the cliffs near the end of the hiking trail. It could have been anything of those based on the total lack of info from the news report. The news report is way to vague if you are trying to draw conclusions from this.
I certainly wasn't jumping to conclusions, more so looking to see if anyone had more reliable information. I have read several news stories and they all seem to conflict. Some say there were witnesses, others say there were not. Some say hiking, others say climbing.

Having done the scramble myself, I am well aware of the risks and the potential for things to go wrong. I am more so intrigued because nothing really lines up. I just want to know what actually happened.

That being said, the greater concern here is the human tragedy. I certainly don't intend to undermine the situation with my curiosity.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2012, 07:28 AM
Super Moderator

Interest: hiking, backpacking, scrambling, climbing

The conclusion the various reports give me is that they were climbing, as many reports mention they were geared for it, and that someone saw the fall in some way to be able to give an idea as to where they landed, but not enough to have seen what happened or why they fell.

A bunch of reports also seem to mention the hiking because it also happens in the area. I think that first report failed to do any editing and thus switched to saying 'hiking' at the bottom. I wouldn't expect a report on hikers to mention that they were 'hiking with full safety gear'.

I was driving through there around 4ish, and saw the helicopter slinging them out, and the CTV car already there. Looks like they just pushed in a report without much knowledge.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2012, 08:27 AM
High on the Mountain Top

No names yet, I assume. I just checked in to see if they were part of the Club Tread community.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2012, 09:08 AM
Headed for the Mountains

post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2012, 10:11 AM
Headed for the Mountains

This is straight from the people that did the rescue. From public safety facebook post.

Quote:
quote:Kananaskis Country Public Safety staff responded to a climbing accident on Sunday afternoon that resulted in two fatalities in the Heart Creek area. Climbers succummed to their injuries following a 100m fall while rappelling. Thanks to RCMP, Exshaw fire, Alberta Heath Services EMS staff who all assisted on this call.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2012, 12:36 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:

This is straight from the people that did the rescue. From public safety facebook post.

Quote:
quote:Kananaskis Country Public Safety staff responded to a climbing accident on Sunday afternoon that resulted in two fatalities in the Heart Creek area. Climbers succummed to their injuries following a 100m fall while rappelling. Thanks to RCMP, Exshaw fire, Alberta Heath Services EMS staff who all assisted on this call.
Obviously nobody can know for sure what happened at this point, but question for you or our other climbers: was this likely some kind of simul or tandem rap??

post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2012, 12:43 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DCIPHER

Quote:

Quote:
Obviously nobody can know for sure what happened at this point, but question for you or our other climbers: was this likely some kind of simul or tandem rap??

Or was it an anchor failure with one climber rappelling off the anchor and the second climber waiting up top and connected to the same anchor with a fixed link?

This is a tragic story.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2012, 01:25 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Very sad when anything like this happens.

K
post #11 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2012, 01:45 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DCIPHER

Quote:

Quote:

It's possible...along with a few other scenarios. Given that the area is well bolted it's probably not likely an anchor failure in the sense that the fixed hardware failed. There are a couple of old school obscure routes with pins in there though so you never know. No point assuming anything until and if any more info comes out from public safety.
post #12 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2012, 05:01 PM
Summit Master

It's mainstream media, so take it with a BIG grain of salt, but this one says rapelling on same rope:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...rs-killed.html

-Ryan
post #13 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2012, 05:13 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ryan.in.yaletown

It's mainstream media, so take it with a BIG grain of salt, but this one says rapelling on same rope:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...rs-killed.html

-Ryan
To be more precise, they said they were "repelling"

Grain of salt.....

post #14 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2012, 05:36 PM
Headed for the Mountains

The only thing worse on the comments section than the opinions of the totally uninformed are the comments from the obvious climbing "newbs" with only half a clue. Brutal ignorance.
post #15 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2012, 05:57 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Tandem rappelling makes me cringe.

It may sound harsh, but I hope the accident was because they did something stupid, and not because they did everything right and something crazy happened anyways like a bolt or gear randomly failing.
Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page