Tragedy near Canmore - Page 4 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #46 of (permalink) Old 08-02-2012, 01:02 AM
High on the Mountain Top
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: , , .
Posts: 1,081
DCIPHER is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #47 of (permalink) Old 08-02-2012, 08:07 AM
Summit Master
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: , , .
Posts: 2,833
Default

Dcipher, I suspect you would argue black was white with incredible patience and rationality - and keep arguing long after you have worn your opponents out. We will have to agree to disagree here on what constitutes an insult. I believe it is obvious to 90% of people on this board who Kevin is and which of his five aliases he is now posting under. Given your penchant for applying your extremely logical and rational mind to puzzles, I'll leave it to you to work it out.

Happy climbing, hiking, biking or whatever it is you do in your real life
sandy is offline  
post #48 of (permalink) Old 08-02-2012, 08:55 AM
Headed for the Mountains
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: the mountain parks, Alberta, Canada.
Posts: 103
Default

Sandy, ever since I started posting here you have been constantly badgering me. Finally it makes sense as to calling me T2C now. I have not posted anything negative towards you, quit making accusations towards me, it's getting very old. Stop being paranoid. If you think I am some sort of reincarnation you are more than welcome to ignore me.
skibum101 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #49 of (permalink) Old 08-02-2012, 12:26 PM
Headed for the Mountains
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Abbotsford, BC, Canada.
Posts: 183
Default

Latest update:

Quote:
quote:
Climbing News - Climbers Killed in Alberta UPDATE
August 1, 2012
On July 30, we had reported that two climber were killed after they fell 100 metres at Heart Creek climbing area in Alberta. At the time, it was unclear what had happened leading up to the accident. After an investigation into the accident, it has now been determined that the climbers died after one of them rapped off the end of the rope while they were simul-rapping.

“One person managed to come off the rope during the rappel,” said Kananaskis public safety specialist Mike Koppang. “The rope ran through the anchor and the second person fell.”

http://www.calgaryherald.com/busines...040/story.html

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...263/story.html
Looks like one rapped off the end.
rustysheep is offline  
post #50 of (permalink) Old 08-02-2012, 12:41 PM
Headed for the Mountains
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: the mountain parks, Alberta, Canada.
Posts: 103
Default

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by rustysheep

Latest update:

Quote:
quote:
Climbing News - Climbers Killed in Alberta UPDATE
August 1, 2012
On July 30, we had reported that two climber were killed after they fell 100 metres at Heart Creek climbing area in Alberta. At the time, it was unclear what had happened leading up to the accident. After an investigation into the accident, it has now been determined that the climbers died after one of them rapped off the end of the rope while they were simul-rapping.

“One person managed to come off the rope during the rappel,” said Kananaskis public safety specialist Mike Koppang. “The rope ran through the anchor and the second person fell.”

http://www.calgaryherald.com/busines...040/story.html

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...263/story.html
Looks like one rapped off the end.
"Came off the rope" can mean a few different things...
skibum101 is offline  
post #51 of (permalink) Old 08-02-2012, 12:47 PM
Summit Master
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Finally stopping that crazy suffering that is ice, climbing to concentrate on great ski tours!, .
Interest: Anything that can drag me to the mountains. Backpacking is #1, followed by climbing, dayhiking and camping with family.
Posts: 3,782
Default

I think if you did simul-raps all the time, they might be faster. But, I'm so paranoid about them, that by the time everything is checked and double and triple checked, I doubt I save time doing it.

In this case, reports seem that one went off the end, then of course, the other is doomed. One mistake in simul-rapping pretty much leads to two injuries/fatalities.
johngenx is offline  
post #52 of (permalink) Old 08-02-2012, 01:12 PM
Dru
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Climbing, a mountain, Canada.
Interest: climbing and spraying
Posts: 16,175
Default

I don't think they are something you should do all the time. Simultaneous rappels are best reserved for special circumstances. We were on top of a 12-pitch route on one of the valley crags in Bella Coola once and weather was coming in. The anchors were all bolted with beefy rap rings. Perfect setup for simulraps - we made it down (12 raps x 2 people) in just over an hour. It was absolutely the best way to get off the climb, heavy rain started within 15 minutes of us getting down.

Coming off an attempt on Hozomeen a few years ago was the reverse scenario. We were descending into the unknown and had to build all of our own anchors out of gear and leave it behind. One person had to go first, scout for a potential anchor near the end of the ropes, then build it. Trying to do it on a simul setup just would not have worked. Sometimes you needed to yard back up the lines to get a piece in. On a simul setup if one person climbs up the other often goes down so that's not going to work, especially if that results in the ropes sawing back and forth through a cord anchor.

Point being, it's a technique you need to know how to do as well as when it's appropriate. I have no idea on the situation in Heart as I've only ice climbed there so I'm not going to speculate on whether this was the right or wrong thing to do. Facts are the rappel failed and both climbers are dead. Full stop.
Dru is offline  
post #53 of (permalink) Old 08-02-2012, 08:30 PM
High on the Mountain Top
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: , , .
Posts: 1,081
Default

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sandy

Dcipher, I suspect you would argue black was white with incredible patience and rationality - and keep arguing long after you have worn your opponents out.
Actually it has usually only taken one post where I directly call you on your passive-aggressive behavior, and/or insulting insinuations (eg. black was white), for you to simply try to gloss over everything and run away from your own statements. As you just did yet again. This in itself speaks to the validity of your statements.

This grade-school behavior is really below an adult in my opinion. If you have a criticism to the content of a discussion then talk about it, yes, patiently and rationally. If you even must resort to personal insults, be direct. The preteen-passive-aggressive insult (tee-hee-) followed by nonsensical avoidance statements "we'll just have to agree to disagree", is embarrassing.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sandy
We will have to agree to disagree here on what constitutes an insult.
Yes. People can judge your credibility, and honesty based on your affirmation that you only wished to call "kevin" by name, and meant nothing derogatory by it.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sandy
I believe it is obvious to 90% of people on this board who Kevin is and which of his five aliases he is now posting under. Given your penchant for applying your extremely logical and rational mind to puzzles, I'll leave it to you to work it out.
Why would you do that? Is it because you made up the entire accusation? I have kept no track of your "Kevin" allegations, and aside from skibum (which I only learned of in this thread), I have no idea who the other 4 are supposed to be. I suppose I could start reading back posts to try to figure it out....but there are an awful lot of posters, and without you even stating who these 4 are supposed to be, that's a monumental amount of work.

You said you were "calling him out". You have repeatedly stated that there are 5, it would take one sentence to tell us who the 5 are. Why play such dramatic games? If you are going to identify a person trolling the board with all those fake names, it is a disservice to everyone else to stop short of warning us as to who they are.

Actually, if 90% of the board know who the 5 fake names are, it would be kind if any of those users would clue in the 10% of us who don't know.
DCIPHER is offline  
post #54 of (permalink) Old 08-02-2012, 08:47 PM
High on the Mountain Top
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,083
Default

1) T2C. This site hasn't been the same since he got banned
2) HerrFláráðR, then he got banned
3) Skibum101, If he's not Kevin, then he's his long lost twin. Both he and Kevin use the word etcetera a lot. Kevin always spelled it ect. instead of etc. Skibum spells it both ways, but spells it ect. more often

I also thought skibum101 was Kevin at first, but Kevin never would have posted this whiny thread: https://www.clubtread.com/sforum/topi...TOPIC_ID=50883. So, who knows
lobo is offline  
post #55 of (permalink) Old 08-02-2012, 08:55 PM
High on the Mountain Top
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: , , .
Posts: 1,081
Default

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by lobo

1) T2C. This site hasn't been the same since he got banned
Haha, I'd actually welcome him back...I would like it if he was here, but I know that may be a minority opinion!

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by lobo
2) HerrFláráðR, then he got banned
What the...!? LOL....I'd have to look up that name...don't remember it.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by lobo
3) Skibum101, If he's not Kevin, then he's his long lost twin. Both he and Kevin use the word etcetera a lot. Kevin always spelled it ect. instead of etc. Skibum spells it both ways, but spells it ect. more often I also thought skibum101 was Kevin at first, but Kevin never would have posted this whiny thread: https://www.clubtread.com/sforum/topi...TOPIC_ID=50883. So, who knows
I could see skibum101 being Kevin...though I'm pretty sure he's said some un-kevin like things. In any case, do you know the other 4 Lobo?
DCIPHER is offline  
post #56 of (permalink) Old 08-02-2012, 09:01 PM
High on the Mountain Top
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,083
Default

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DCIPHER

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by lobo

1) T2C. This site hasn't been the same since he got banned
Haha, I'd actually welcome him back...I would like it if he was here, but I know that may be a minority opinion!

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by lobo
2) HerrFláráðR, then he got banned
What the...!? LOL....I'd have to look up that name...don't remember it.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by lobo
3) Skibum101, If he's not Kevin, then he's his long lost twin. Both he and Kevin use the word etcetera a lot. Kevin always spelled it ect. instead of etc. Skibum spells it both ways, but spells it ect. more often I also thought skibum101 was Kevin at first, but Kevin never would have posted this whiny thread: https://www.clubtread.com/sforum/topi...TOPIC_ID=50883. So, who knows
I could see skibum101 being Kevin...though I'm pretty sure he's said some un-kevin like things. In any case, do you know the other 4 Lobo?
I suspect that Sandy was thinking that mntntime might be one. He posted some lunatic post earlier in this thread, but that's not Kevin's style. I'm not sure who #5 may be.
lobo is offline  
post #57 of (permalink) Old 08-02-2012, 09:33 PM
Summit Master
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Finally stopping that crazy suffering that is ice, climbing to concentrate on great ski tours!, .
Interest: Anything that can drag me to the mountains. Backpacking is #1, followed by climbing, dayhiking and camping with family.
Posts: 3,782
Default

I don't care if SB101 is T2C or not. The SB101 posts are not inflammatory, and so far have had quite a bit of positive input.
johngenx is offline  
post #58 of (permalink) Old 08-02-2012, 11:17 PM
High on the Mountain Top
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: , , .
Posts: 1,081
Default

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by lobo

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DCIPHER

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by lobo

1) T2C. This site hasn't been the same since he got banned
Haha, I'd actually welcome him back...I would like it if he was here, but I know that may be a minority opinion!

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by lobo
2) HerrFláráðR, then he got banned
What the...!? LOL....I'd have to look up that name...don't remember it.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by lobo
3) Skibum101, If he's not Kevin, then he's his long lost twin. Both he and Kevin use the word etcetera a lot. Kevin always spelled it ect. instead of etc. Skibum spells it both ways, but spells it ect. more often I also thought skibum101 was Kevin at first, but Kevin never would have posted this whiny thread: https://www.clubtread.com/sforum/topi...TOPIC_ID=50883. So, who knows
I could see skibum101 being Kevin...though I'm pretty sure he's said some un-kevin like things. In any case, do you know the other 4 Lobo?
I suspect that Sandy was thinking that mntntime might be one. He posted some lunatic post earlier in this thread, but that's not Kevin's style. I'm not sure who #5 may be.
Ok well...now that this thread has been derailed into this: I accuse Sarah Goodwife, as only her crops are prospering this summer. I accuse Rebecca Snowshoes because I saw her levitating behind the barn. Finally I accuse Rachelo, because I saw her conspiring with Goodwife in whispered tones behind the town hall. They are all T2C.
DCIPHER is offline  
post #59 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2012, 12:20 AM
Headed for the Mountains
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Abbotsford, BC, Canada.
Posts: 183
Default

This used to be a great sight where people with similar interests could come and discuss those interests. For those to share their experiences with others. A spot to share information about hikes/climbs/camping. A place to find friends and to get out and enjoy nature together. Now it's been reduced to this. You've taken a thread about the tragic death of two young climbers and turned it into your own petty battle ground. I've run into other ClubTread folks out on the trail, at the climbing gym and out at the crag and they ask why I don't post TR's or organize hikes anymore. This is why...

You truly are ruining this place for the rest of us. Please stop with constant bickering, fighting and accusations. Stop being so selfish and [u]please</u> give the rest of us our community back.

I'm tired of this... I'm going to go climb something while you children fight this out.

-Russ
rustysheep is offline  
post #60 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2012, 12:22 AM
High on the Mountain Top
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: , , .
Posts: 1,081
Default

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by rustysheep

This used to be a great sight where people with similar interests could come and discuss those interests. For those to share their experiences with others. A spot to share information about hikes/climbs/camping. A place to find friends and to get out and enjoy nature together. Now it's been reduced to this. You've taken a thread about the tragic death of two young climbers and turned it into your own petty battle ground. I've run into other ClubTread folks out on the trail, at the climbing gym and out at the crag and they ask why I don't post TR's or organize hikes anymore. This is why...

You truly are ruining this place for the rest of us. Please stop with constant bickering, fighting and accusations. Stop being so selfish and [u]please</u> give the rest of us our community back.

I'm tired of this... I'm going to go climb something while you children fight this out.

-Russ
+1
DCIPHER is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
 

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1