The Best Scrambles Close to Vancouver - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2003, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Default The Best Scrambles Close to Vancouver

Hi everyone,
I'm putting together a 3-day/3-hike plan for a hiking/scrambling buddy from Calgary. He's experienced and serious... having done over 150 unique peaks in the Canadian Rockies over the last 10yrs. He's aiming to be out here for Oct 10-13th. He likes to get above the tree line and scramble big peaks. Yesterday he did Temple Mountain for the 12th time. He's a fast hiker when he wants/needs to be... capable of doing something like Mtn Outram in under 3hrs. I told him about Black Tusk and he wants to come and do it along with a couple more of our bigger/challenging peaks. I'm hoping for some suggestions from fellow CTers so I can show him that our part of Canada has got some great hikes too (and it most definitely does in my humble opinion!). Thanks in advance.
Paulo

\"Great works are performed not by strength but by perseverance.\" - Samuel Johnson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2003, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Golden Ears sounds like it would be a good/challenging day hike.

Helm Peak looks like it has some nice scrambling too *smile*.
http://www.iam.ubc.ca/~marek/Hiking/html/Helm.html

Edited by - paulo on 09/07/2003 8:34:37 PM
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2003, 08:51 PM

Hi Paul,
What about Wedgemount, it is not as high in elevation as Black Tusk but it is a pretty steep hike from what I have heard and I believe there is a pretty good scramble involved as well. From the pictures I have seen the views are spectacular. The other one is Panorama Ridge. Do a search on the CT site, there are trip reports from other CT members. These two hikes are on my list to do one day.

good luck, there are lots of choices.
C.B.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2003, 08:58 PM

Frosty Mountain is the highest summit in Manning Park. There was a posting for this hike before the backcountry ban. I was really looking forward to this hike after Mtn. Outram. Just another idea, for your friend.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2003, 09:15 PM
Summit Master

three days?

healthy hiker/climber?

here's a route: start at Rubble Creek, go up to Taylor Meadows and continue to Helm campground (and do Black Tusk or Panorama Ridge or - like those young 25 Semi-ah-moo high school students on Saturday - do both!) spend Night #1 at Helm (free camping).

Day #2 hike from Helm campground to Cheakamus Lake, bank right, continue on trail (10km easy!!) along lake to Singing Creek, begin ascent on flagged route (challenging! do you have the Mussio Brothers' Backroad Mapbook for Southwestern BC? the trail is marked there. Note - it's a flagged route, not a trail like up Rubble creek to Garibaldi lake!). When you reach Singing Pass, head up Cowboy ridge on the obvious trail to Russet Lake. Camp there - spend Night #2 at Russet Lake (camping fees apply).

Day #3 hike Musical Bumps! Visit the peaks of Oboe, Flute and Piccolo, then retrace your steps in the opposite direction, in one of BC's most mountainous and spectacular regions.

Paulo - consult Bivouac.com and your BC maps for details of peaks.

My personal fave spot is near Russet lake - Adit lakes, just across the ridge to the left of Russet Lake.

Or, climb Fissile Peak for a fun scramble, consult Kevin McLane's Alpine Select for a choice of routes. Look at the Spearhead Range below.

After a day of scrambling or exploring, descend Singing Pass trail to Whistler village. Celebrate with a good meal and dancing if there's energy left. The town rocks! Rates are LOW at major hotels in Whistler, good time to visit in the shoulder season.

Return to Vancouver well-rested and with a camera full of cool pix.

Don't forget to share with the CT community

cheers - C Wall

post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2003, 09:22 PM

My recommendation is in the area between Pemberton and Lillooet up a logging road to the Downton Creek area. Once you get to the end of the road there are no trails but basically you either bushwack about half an hour up a forest or scramble up huge boulders and eventually get to scrambling heaven. For more info use the search button on this site and type in "downton creek". Spidergirl posted a trip report last year along with some photos. I went up there last year and got freaked out as I get nervous on steep scree but if your friend's experienced he'll have a blast and the area is beautiful and remote.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2003, 10:41 PM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Thank you everyone. valencia, I looked at Spidergirl's site and the Eaton Peak BCMC trip caught my eye (http://www.mountaingirl.net/eatonpeak03/index.htm)... looks like a very nice challenge. Would love to do it but would want an experience climber to lead the way up the tricky parts and secure a rope for others following.
Paulo

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page