Kananaskis User Fees - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-27-2021, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Default Kananaskis User Fees

Starting June 1, AB Parks will start charging per vehicle fees for access to K-country. 15/day or 90/year. Justification is maintenance cost rise due to increased # of visitors.

This is considerably more from single person National Park pass (69/year). Goodbye Kananaskis, it was good while it lasted

There will also be fees for random camping on crown land on eastern slopes of Rockies.

Last edited by zeljkok; 04-27-2021 at 10:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2021, 10:02 PM
Hittin' the Trails

It is a chance to get stable funding for K country. Governments of all stripes have underfunded infrastructure (parking lots, restrooms, trails) and enforcement for the last 30+ years. Parks and out door rec are always at the bottom of the list, after health care, education, infrastructure, etc.
We need something like this. I don't know if it will work, but lets hope it does.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2021, 11:03 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsawyers View Post
It is a chance to get stable funding for K country. Governments of all stripes have underfunded infrastructure (parking lots, restrooms, trails) and enforcement for the last 30+ years. Parks and out door rec are always at the bottom of the list, after health care, education, infrastructure, etc.
We need something like this. I don't know if it will work, but lets hope it does.

There are people that think like you, and there are people that consider it a rip-off. But goal is not to 'get stable funding for K-country'. Real issue is overrun of accessible areas by Calgary crowds that trash facilities, throw garbage etc, augmented in Covid times. Park funding is low priority, so this was the easiest way to address the problem. I don't think it will be long lived.

Last edited by zeljkok; 04-30-2021 at 07:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-04-2021, 07:05 PM
Scaling New Heights

Interest: Hiking, backpacking, kayaking

Enforcement would take time from a public agency employee's real duties. (Unfunded mandate.)
And how will it be enforced?
If garbage is the real problem, I would be willing to pick up trash in lieu of payment.

Does Canada have "Adopt a Highway" program, as US does? A volunteer group commits to cleaning up a small section of public roadway, generally a mile or so, for a while, and a small recognition placard is erected roadside. Some jurisdictions also provide materials (gloves, trash bags) to the volunteer group.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-04-2021, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdBrook View Post
Enforcement would take time from a public agency employee's real duties. (Unfunded mandate.)
And how will it be enforced?
nobody knows. There is not even info how much fines will be; there is only vague "offender will be mailed warning or fine". Enforcement will likely be AB Parks employee (temp maybe, for season) patrolling parking lots & taking down license plates, then in office searching database of registered vehicles. I don't even think hanging pass of dash will be required, just computer registration.

Quote:
If garbage is the real problem, I would be willing to pick up trash in lieu of payment.
I am already doing that for many years, not just in K-country but Banff, BC Coast, etc - wherever I hike. But here we are talking wide trashing of couple of popular areas close to Calgary, problem augmented last yr because of Covid. I spoke to Park employee; she told me about horror show, sanitary pads, feces, vomit etc. when restrooms had to be closed because of Covid eruption.

Quote:
Does Canada have "Adopt a Highway" program, as US does? A volunteer group commits to cleaning up a small section of public roadway, generally a mile or so, for a while, and a small recognition placard is erected roadside. Some jurisdictions also provide materials (gloves, trash bags) to the volunteer group.
There are some K-country volunteer actions I heard off, but that would have to be after every weekend, and some pretty discusting work too. Parks are simply trying to offload cost to private sector; last winter there was idea of x-country skiing pass that didn't work. Now they are trying this (fee is supposed to cover cost of winter x-country ski trail maintenance too).

Last edited by zeljkok; 05-04-2021 at 08:14 PM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page