Merlin Meadows in early July? - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-04-2017, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Default Merlin Meadows in early July?

Hey guys!

A couple friends and I are planning to hike in to Merlin Meadows campground this weekend (July 8 & 9). We were originally planning to loop around Fossil Mountain but that'll make it a 21.5 km hike rather than 15.6 so I don't think we will be doing that afterall, unless that first 10-11 km are super easy (which I don't think they will be).

I'm wondering if anyone has hiked this area recently, or have done it this time of year previously? What can we expect for conditions? Trail report says muddy and some snow. Anyone know what Deception Pass is looking like ATM?

Any other tidbits are welcome! Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-04-2017, 03:05 PM
Summit Master

I haven't been there this year but I'm fairly certain there will be mud and snow patches. Merlin meadows will be boggy (and mosquito haven). I'd wait couple of weeks at least, then hike over Packer Pass which is indefinitely more scenic from Deception (or roundabout behind Fossil)

btw Canadian Rockies where this post was initially placed is Forum for Trip Reports, not condition inquiries. Now that Alberta is separate from Rockies we probably need "Regional Hiking Discussion -- Canadian Rockies" forum as well ; I will send message to VSAdmin about it.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2017, 12:03 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBoom4 View Post
Hey guys!

A couple friends and I are planning to hike in to Merlin Meadows campground this weekend (July 8 & 9). We were originally planning to loop around Fossil Mountain but that'll make it a 21.5 km hike rather than 15.6 so I don't think we will be doing that afterall, unless that first 10-11 km are super easy (which I don't think they will be).

I'm wondering if anyone has hiked this area recently, or have done it this time of year previously? What can we expect for conditions? Trail report says muddy and some snow. Anyone know what Deception Pass is looking like ATM?

Any other tidbits are welcome! Thanks!
Haven't done it recently but I am headed there this weekend as well, the trail report has been improving and this wicked heat should be helping things. I will be the guy with his 11 year in tow...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2017, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gussmall View Post
Haven't done it recently but I am headed there this weekend as well, the trail report has been improving and this wicked heat should be helping things. I will be the guy with his 11 year in tow...
Yeah, I was surprised that I checked it one day and it said mostly poor/fair and then like 2 days later mostly good/fair!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 12:24 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBoom4 View Post
Yeah, I was surprised that I checked it one day and it said mostly poor/fair and then like 2 days later mostly good/fair!
ya exactly, and the heat this week has been pretty helpful to our cause...i'm thinking its going to be a great weekend for weather. Things should be drying out nicely.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 01:54 AM
Summit Master

Triple on bug spray
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 11:11 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeljkok View Post
Triple on bug spray
Lol yep, I find those buggers are nasty everywhere this time of year.... I may try drinking muskol to develop super immunity...
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeljkok View Post
Triple on bug spray
Haha oh hells yeah!!

After last weekend at Fish Lakes I'm pretty much expecting to be swarmed.

We use Ben's 30 Deet formula. Worked like a charm last weekend. Hopefully will do the same this time around.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-11-2017, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Ended up being a very nice hike. Conditions were quite good along the trail and it was mostly dry - a nice change from our super wet and muddy hike to Fish Lakes last weekened! A couple muddy spots, one snowy spot, but that was it and they were totally manageable. All in all a pretty easy hike, even with the elevation gain.

Campsite was nice, especially the nearby river, but the mosquitos were like nothing I've ever experienced before!! Holy Jeebus!!

We went through our whole mini bottle of bug spray, which normally lasts us four or five 2 day trips lol

We got into camp pretty early and hung out by the river for a bit, me reading on my kobo with my feet in the water, and that was really nice. It was around 7:30 or so, as we were trying to cook our dinner and drink a beer, that suddenly the mosquitos and black flies got really bad around the river and we had to pack it in and hang out in our tents for the rest of the evening after wolfing down our food. Mosquitos were bad at the campsite from the moment we got there.

Still, I would do this one again.

Last edited by SBoom4; 07-11-2017 at 12:17 PM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page