Tamarack Trail, Waterton in mid-July? - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Default Tamarack Trail, Waterton in mid-July?

Has anyone done this trail around mid July? Thoughts?
Also, can anyone give me some opinions on the difficulty of the trail? It doesn't look like there is anything particularly difficult about it, but it is listed as Difficult?

Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 06:12 PM
Headed for the Mountains

I did it in September many years ago and quite enjoyed it. The only challenging part is the length of climb up to Tamarack Ridge otherwise the rest of the trail is relatively flat. The trail is very well built and easy to follow and there are no technical sections. I think the "difficult" rating is because its a long distance and actually a backpacking route, nothing more.

Great trail that would be perfect for mid July. The north part of the trail is not heavily traveled and quite enjoyable but Rowe Lakes is a bit of a circus at times.
Which route are you planning to do? If you are doing a car shuttle do yourself a favor and go the Blackiston creek route, the trail to twin lakes is a boring gravel path and the campsite isn't much better. Lone Lake is a pretty campground, worth spending a night.

Not the fastest, but I get to where I am going and enjoy it.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarcasticMarmot View Post
I did it in September many years ago and quite enjoyed it. The only challenging part is the length of climb up to Tamarack Ridge otherwise the rest of the trail is relatively flat. The trail is very well built and easy to follow and there are no technical sections. I think the "difficult" rating is because its a long distance and actually a backpacking route, nothing more.

Great trail that would be perfect for mid July. The north part of the trail is not heavily traveled and quite enjoyable but Rowe Lakes is a bit of a circus at times.
Which route are you planning to do? If you are doing a car shuttle do yourself a favor and go the Blackiston creek route, the trail to twin lakes is a boring gravel path and the campsite isn't much better. Lone Lake is a pretty campground, worth spending a night.
We are starting at Red Rock Canyon, hiking to Lone Lake to spend the night, and then hiking out to the Akamina Parkway Rowe Creek/Lake trailhead. Going with a group of four and we are just going to drop a car off at our end point before we start.

When you say the trail to twin lakes is boring, which trail do you mean? I've attached a map here with the route options we have. I was leaning toward doing the longer route, as this is a training hike in preparation for the West Coast Trail, so the longer the better.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2017, 11:54 AM
Headed for the Mountains

The part that is most boring is the stretch from Red Rock Canyon until Lone Lake the long way, the bit you have traced in Red. If the purpose is a training hike then it may still be worth it to you, however the trial is mostly a gravel road path with no views. If it were me I would save the extra 5k and go in via Blakiston creek then use the extra energy on the next day to drop your packs on the ridge and bag Lineham peak.

Not the fastest, but I get to where I am going and enjoy it.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2017, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarcasticMarmot View Post
The part that is most boring is the stretch from Red Rock Canyon until Lone Lake the long way, the bit you have traced in Red. If the purpose is a training hike then it may still be worth it to you, however the trial is mostly a gravel road path with no views. If it were me I would save the extra 5k and go in via Blakiston creek then use the extra energy on the next day to drop your packs on the ridge and bag Lineham peak.
Awesome - thanks for the tip

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page