Why is this necessary? - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Default Why is this necessary?

Some things are just hard to understand.

River has braided into many side channels in Bow Valley. This area offers fantastic recreation and beautiful scenery; it particular in winter as you can walk on ice. It is particularly beautiful right now as ice has created some very neat cracks and shapes (see photo below).

Eventually ice-channels lead to Bow River and phenomenal view of Sisters. Area sees traffic, but until now has always been very clean with no garbage. To my disgust the other day --- 3 fresh beer cans, drops of liquid still inside; must have been the same day. Just left there.

I had no backpack not even any sort of bag so I drained them best I could and put in pocket of my jacket, which now stinks of beer.

I understand enjoying beer outdoors with great views, but please PLEASE don't leave metal in the nature after you are done. This nature does not belong to province or country or .. It belongs to you. It is yours. Save it and conserve it. Don't pollute. Please!

Sorry for this. Venting frustration
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	crack.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	1.71 MB
ID:	194850  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 09:34 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Adventure travel

Isn't this the "front country" experience? The most disgusting site we came upon on last year's hikes was a trailhead that came out in a roadside parking. lot near Field. While picking our way through mounds of toilet paper and garbage, one car arrived to let their dog sh*t and another car discharged a drunk human who pissed in front of us. Of course no toilet and one overflowing garbage bin, but there was a fancy trail sign.

Trail Talk
"Retired but not yet tired"
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail Talk View Post
While picking our way through mounds of toilet paper and garbage, one car arrived to let their dog sh*t and another car discharged a drunk human who pissed in front of us. Of course no toilet and one overflowing garbage bin, but there was a fancy trail sign.
and this is Canada, which is still clean and non-populated. Now think of Latin American slums, people with gas masks walking on streets of Beijing, ... This is the direction.

It will be a miracle if eco-system of this planet manages to survive
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 07:02 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Disgusting. I'm not sure what kind of steps Parks Canada takes to deter littering, but I would like to see them bring the hammer down on anyone caught in the act. There are always signs threatening things like $2,000 fines, but how often is something like that handed out? I guess it is rare to catch someone doing it.

I was at Lake O'Hara last summer hiking about 10 meters behind a fellow smoking a cigarette, around the Lake Oesa area. Before I even saw his face, I just had a feeling he was going to throw the cigarette butt amongst the boulders. I didn't pass him because I wanted to see if he did it. Of course he did. He looked around first and then tucked the butt underneath a rock. He hadn't looked behind him though, as I startled him when I told him he had better pick it back up. I also gave him my legendary death stare.

People are gross.
vern.dewit likes this.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

and that Oesa smoker, he must have come by bus. No way he walked 11km up the road.

Honestly I can not understand this frame of mind. It is not lack of basic intelligence. It is not just laziness or inconvenience. Is it simply "I don't give a s... about anyone but myself"?

I agree re fines though. It could even provide Parks with revenue as they are strapped for resources. I'd also think about enforcing more strictly speed limit in National Parks, because 120 kph (or more) seems to be the norm you can go without even worrying anyone might even consider stopping you
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 08:06 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Absolute bull#hit for people to disrespect our wilderness environment. Had a similar experience last year at the north end of gambier lake. Really pissed me off. Told off a hiker who was making another mess there ...
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150228_125340.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	194858....

post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 09:17 PM
Headed for the Mountains

The mess that some people leave is disgusting but unfortunately there will always be that part of society that doesn't care. I'll keep picking up behind them.

The smoker was obviously not a seasoned hiker. He would of had something to put the butt in like I do. I've been to Lake O'Hara and have hiked in and out. Just because we smoke doesn't mean we can't hike.
vern.dewit likes this.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 10:55 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunthur View Post
The smoker was obviously not a seasoned hiker. He would of had something to put the butt in like I do. I've been to Lake O'Hara and have hiked in and out. Just because we smoke doesn't mean we can't hike.
I know smokers can hike, but for what it's worth, Zeljkok's assumption was correct. This hiker did arrive/depart on the bus. Kind of besides the point anyway.

But while on the topic of O'Hara, that place could really use some recycling. They haul out garbage all the time, why not add recycling? Hell, they could add composting too. I just find it a little ironic that a place that limits visitors to reduce the impact on wildlife/environment does so poorly when it comes to waste management. I guess I'm getting off topic too.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 11:43 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smron View Post
But while on the topic of O'Hara, that place could really use some recycling. They haul out garbage all the time, why not add recycling? Hell, they could add composting too. I just find it a little ironic that a place that limits visitors to reduce the impact on wildlife/environment does so poorly when it comes to waste management. I guess I'm getting off topic too.
no, it is on topic --- preserve the environment; don't pollute, pick up things others toss, raise awareness whatever.

They probably have something for recycling for lodge guests. For Day-Hikers maybe there is something in Le Relais (day shelter at bus stop)?
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 12:13 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeljkok View Post
no, it is on topic --- preserve the environment; don't pollute, pick up things others toss, raise awareness whatever.

They probably have something for recycling for lodge guests. For Day-Hikers maybe there is something in Le Relais (day shelter at bus stop)?
I think they have aluminum can recycling at Le Relais. At the campground, though, many of the campers bring all sorts of plastic containers in that don't go back out with them. I think I'll email Parks Canada and LOTC about this.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 12:56 AM
Scaling New Heights

Why should it be necessary to provide people with a place to dump garbage, it is obviously lighter and easier to compress than when they brought it in. It is just a lack of respect for nature and others. If you can pack it in, then pack it out. A few out-houses are nice so not to step in others sh*t.
I also dislike seeing people not cleaning up after their dogs, especially when it is on the trail.
post #12 of (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 10:09 AM
Off the Beaten Path

Quote:
Originally Posted by activegirl49 View Post
Why should it be necessary to provide people with a place to dump garbage
Because it only takes one lazy person a moment to make an hour of work for someone else, and there's a lot of people who are happy to be lazy when no one is watching.

Humans are horrible creatures.
post #13 of (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by trick View Post
Because it only takes one lazy person a moment to make an hour of work for someone else, and there's a lot of people who are happy to be lazy when no one is watching.
yes, and sometimes even if there is trash bin 10 meters away he'll toss it elsewhere because he was just too lazy to walk 10 meters or by bothered by smell when he opens the bin.

Stick is the only strategy. Butt out behind the rock on a trail and get caught -- 5000 fine. Ditto for cans, plastic etc
post #14 of (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 06:05 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
Originally Posted by activegirl49 View Post
Why should it be necessary to provide people with a place to dump garbage...
Because not everyone is us, and signs and awareness can only get you so far. How long would it take to educate the population enough to eliminate this problem? Pretty sure the answer is more than 'decades'. In the meantime, let's make sure the proper facilities exist so it is convenient for folks. I'm not suggesting garbage/recycling bins at all backcountry campgrounds (I still believe most of those who venture backcountry by foot can handle pack-it-in/pack-it-out), but a place like O'Hara gets enough traffic to warrant such a thing, not to mention Parks Canada makes multiple trips up the road with a vehicle every single day during the summer season.
post #15 of (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 07:05 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Wow

Great thread highlights the awful side of humanity when it comes to keeping our outdoors clean for the enjoyment of others.

It gets me why there are those "don' care attitude", "laziness", etc.

K

Hiking is what keeps you young of mind and heart. When the going gets tough, the tough get going..............

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page