Beehive Natural Area - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

 1Likes
  • 1 Post By PhilR
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2016, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains
 
PhilR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Canmore, AB
Interest: Being outside! Hiking, Scrambling, Trail running
Posts: 312
Default Beehive Natural Area

Does anyone here know how easy it is to access this area, or has actually been there? The Great Divide Trail apparently runs through it, so I figured it must be reasonably well visited by through-hikers, but how about as a day trip, do any of the logging roads around the area work for access?

http://www.albertaparks.ca/beehive/
PhilR is offline  
Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2016, 09:58 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Calgary
Posts: 503
Default

I have a few scrambles planned in that area and did a bit of reconnaissance this past summer. The Oldman River road is in good shape until just past Oldman Falls, or about 500 m north of where Beehive Creek flows into the Oldman River, pretty much due east of Beehive Mountain. At that point there is a washout that is impassable in any vehicle (although a bike would work just fine). We were in our truck, but I remember thinking the car would have done just fine to the falls. The road continues past that point and may be slated for repair, but I'm not sure. Regardless, from the washout it's an easy day trip up Beehive Mountain, or a longish (26 km-ish) trip up Mount Lyall.

If you're thinking of heading into that area next summer let me know if you'd like company!
mclay1234 is offline  
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains
 
PhilR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Canmore, AB
Interest: Being outside! Hiking, Scrambling, Trail running
Posts: 312
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclay1234 View Post
I have a few scrambles planned in that area and did a bit of reconnaissance this past summer. The Oldman River road is in good shape until just past Oldman Falls, or about 500 m north of where Beehive Creek flows into the Oldman River, pretty much due east of Beehive Mountain. At that point there is a washout that is impassable in any vehicle (although a bike would work just fine). We were in our truck, but I remember thinking the car would have done just fine to the falls. The road continues past that point and may be slated for repair, but I'm not sure. Regardless, from the washout it's an easy day trip up Beehive Mountain, or a longish (26 km-ish) trip up Mount Lyall.

If you're thinking of heading into that area next summer let me know if you'd like company!
Excellent! Thanks Matt. I was looking at that area for a scramble or two. I'll let you know when that might come together as a plan and see if you want to do it together.
PhilR is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 02:23 PM
Summit Master
 
zeljkok's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Anywhere but social media
Posts: 4,882
Default

put me on the list as well; I don't know much about the area & would like to explore a bit
zeljkok is online now  
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 06:32 PM
High on the Mountain Top
 
vern.dewit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada.
Posts: 1,166
Default

Silly Phil - giving away trip ideas on a public forum! Just kidding man, Beehive was done recently by someone, but I forget who.

Vern Dewit
vern.dewit is offline  
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains
 
PhilR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Canmore, AB
Interest: Being outside! Hiking, Scrambling, Trail running
Posts: 312
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vern.dewit View Post
Silly Phil - giving away trip ideas on a public forum! Just kidding man, Beehive was done recently by someone, but I forget who.
I can't contain all my thoughts, too many plans flying around! Get thinking about who did Beehive recently and share! It's not a primary area for summer for me, but it fills a gap in an area that I haven't yet been to.
vern.dewit likes this.
PhilR is offline  
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 01:49 AM
Hittin' the Trails
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada.
Posts: 34
Default

Sonny Bou was up there in September, 2016: http://sonnybou.ca/ssbou2016/beehive.html
warawa is offline  
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 10:02 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Calgary
Posts: 503
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by warawa View Post
Sonny Bou was up there in September, 2016: http://sonnybou.ca/ssbou2016/beehive.html
I just read the report and am now very confused by the GPS track and starting point labelled "car". We drove the Old Man River road on Sept. 10 and came to an impassable washout just past Oldman Falls (a few km before his starting point). Sonny's directions are quite clear - he drove over this in his CRV - but I have no idea how. From my perspective it was a huge chasm that you could squeeze by on foot, but even then I was worried Sandra would have trouble with exposure due to the narrow and angled track! Apparently I'm quite chicken whether I'm on a mountain on foot or in a truck on an apparently passable road!
mclay1234 is offline  
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains
 
PhilR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Canmore, AB
Interest: Being outside! Hiking, Scrambling, Trail running
Posts: 312
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by warawa View Post
Sonny Bou was up there in September, 2016: http://sonnybou.ca/ssbou2016/beehive.html
Oh interesting. I read Sonny's reports, but missed that one. Thanks Warawa. Looks like a scree slog to the top, not the most inspiring, but worth it for the views. I really like the view to The Elevators, neat.

Matt - there is only one way to find out about that road!
PhilR is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
 

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1