User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By PhilR

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2016, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Being outside! Hiking, Scrambling, Trail running
Default Beehive Natural Area

Does anyone here know how easy it is to access this area, or has actually been there? The Great Divide Trail apparently runs through it, so I figured it must be reasonably well visited by through-hikers, but how about as a day trip, do any of the logging roads around the area work for access?

http://www.albertaparks.ca/beehive/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2016, 09:58 PM
Banned

I have a few scrambles planned in that area and did a bit of reconnaissance this past summer. The Oldman River road is in good shape until just past Oldman Falls, or about 500 m north of where Beehive Creek flows into the Oldman River, pretty much due east of Beehive Mountain. At that point there is a washout that is impassable in any vehicle (although a bike would work just fine). We were in our truck, but I remember thinking the car would have done just fine to the falls. The road continues past that point and may be slated for repair, but I'm not sure. Regardless, from the washout it's an easy day trip up Beehive Mountain, or a longish (26 km-ish) trip up Mount Lyall.

If you're thinking of heading into that area next summer let me know if you'd like company!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclay1234 View Post
I have a few scrambles planned in that area and did a bit of reconnaissance this past summer. The Oldman River road is in good shape until just past Oldman Falls, or about 500 m north of where Beehive Creek flows into the Oldman River, pretty much due east of Beehive Mountain. At that point there is a washout that is impassable in any vehicle (although a bike would work just fine). We were in our truck, but I remember thinking the car would have done just fine to the falls. The road continues past that point and may be slated for repair, but I'm not sure. Regardless, from the washout it's an easy day trip up Beehive Mountain, or a longish (26 km-ish) trip up Mount Lyall.

If you're thinking of heading into that area next summer let me know if you'd like company!
Excellent! Thanks Matt. I was looking at that area for a scramble or two. I'll let you know when that might come together as a plan and see if you want to do it together.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 02:23 PM
Summit Master

put me on the list as well; I don't know much about the area & would like to explore a bit
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 06:32 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Silly Phil - giving away trip ideas on a public forum! Just kidding man, Beehive was done recently by someone, but I forget who.

Vern Dewit
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by vern.dewit View Post
Silly Phil - giving away trip ideas on a public forum! Just kidding man, Beehive was done recently by someone, but I forget who.
I can't contain all my thoughts, too many plans flying around! Get thinking about who did Beehive recently and share! It's not a primary area for summer for me, but it fills a gap in an area that I haven't yet been to.
vern.dewit likes this.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 01:49 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Sonny Bou was up there in September, 2016: http://sonnybou.ca/ssbou2016/beehive.html
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 10:02 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by warawa View Post
Sonny Bou was up there in September, 2016: http://sonnybou.ca/ssbou2016/beehive.html
I just read the report and am now very confused by the GPS track and starting point labelled "car". We drove the Old Man River road on Sept. 10 and came to an impassable washout just past Oldman Falls (a few km before his starting point). Sonny's directions are quite clear - he drove over this in his CRV - but I have no idea how. From my perspective it was a huge chasm that you could squeeze by on foot, but even then I was worried Sandra would have trouble with exposure due to the narrow and angled track! Apparently I'm quite chicken whether I'm on a mountain on foot or in a truck on an apparently passable road!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by warawa View Post
Oh interesting. I read Sonny's reports, but missed that one. Thanks Warawa. Looks like a scree slog to the top, not the most inspiring, but worth it for the views. I really like the view to The Elevators, neat.

Matt - there is only one way to find out about that road!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page