Mt. Fairview, Tent Ridge, Sunshine Meadows, Piper Pass, Rawson Lake with kid carrier? - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-03-2015, 08:50 AM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Default Mt. Fairview, Tent Ridge, Sunshine Meadows, Piper Pass, Rawson Lake with kid carrier?

Hey everyone, planning early for a trip out west next summer and would like to do some hikes with the kids (1 and 3). Just wondering if there's anything of note on the trails mentioned in the topic with regards to hiking with a child in a backpack carrier? Are these all relatively straightforward trails?

Stuff like creek crossings, scree slopes, anywhere that requires hand holds, etc.. last time we came out west we did a few hikes with the first child: bow hut, conrad kain hut, iceline trail, lake agnes/beehives/plain of six glaciers, and sentinel pass. The only one I wouldn't do again with a child on my back is bow hut, the big boulder crossing was ok, but the creeks were not fun.

Also what's the bear situation at a place like Rawson Lake? And would it be an alright place to hang out for an hour and a half? Was thinking we could all hike up to the Lake and then I could quickly scramble the ridge while the family hangs out at the lake.

Any advice would be great, thanks!

PS. In case anyone mentions the physical challenge of hauling two kids around, it's ok we do this a lot, just looking for trail beta
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-03-2015, 01:23 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Mt. Fairview shouldn't be a problem. The slope is steep-ish, but a reasonable trail takes you to the top.
Sunshine Meadows is dead easy.
Piper Pass requires a crossing of the Elbow River, but it shouldn't be more than shin deep and it's often possible to rock-hop.
Rawson Lake is dead easy and doesn't have any more bear problems than other areas. One sometimes hangs out on the slope you're planning to hike up, but it's open enough that you'd likely see him before there was an issue. The lake is nice to hang out at, but is often shaded by the trees and Mt. Sarrail.
Tent Ridge is a bit scrambly in spots, but I've avoided those areas by coming up from Tryst Lake. Check reports online to see what you think of those spots.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-03-2015, 03:45 PM
Hittin' the Trails

I did Tent Ridge and Fairview this fall. Both overall could be done safely, but I'd say avoid Tent Ridge with a baby or toddler.

My friend did fall/slip on the way down Fairview...but she falls on most hikes, so as long as you're not too clumsy you shouldn't have to worry.

The other ones should be very safe and manageable. I wouldn't be too concerned about bears anywhere really. Look for postings of bears in the area, but Rawson would be a nice place for the family to hang out for an hour or two.

Lots of people can offer some good alternatives to Tent Ridge if you're interested.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
I did Tent Ridge and Fairview this fall. Both overall could be done safely, but I'd say avoid Tent Ridge with a baby or toddler.

My friend did fall/slip on the way down Fairview...but she falls on most hikes, so as long as you're not too clumsy you shouldn't have to worry.

The other ones should be very safe and manageable. I wouldn't be too concerned about bears anywhere really. Look for postings of bears in the area, but Rawson would be a nice place for the family to hang out for an hour or two.

Lots of people can offer some good alternatives to Tent Ridge if you're interested.
why avoid tent ridge?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page