Jimmy Simpson to Iceberg Lake connector - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2015, 01:34 AM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Default Jimmy Simpson to Iceberg Lake connector

Jimmy Simpson is well known and documented scramble from Bow Falls. Iceberg Lake is fantastic hike / easy scramble in same area. Last year I visited Iceberg Lake and continued for about an hour under Mt. Thompson towards Jimmy Simpson: here is the pic of JS from my turnaround point:

This year I'd like to connect the 2: Up Jimmy Simpson, then return via Iceberg Lake. Question is where to break to upper bench from JS route below the col; it is not straightforward & there are cliffs. I could not find info online, so looking at Google Earth & others I think there are 2 possible ways:

X: Marks the spot where I've been (pic on top), so I know where to go after that
1: First option: From JS col, drop a bit and around immediate bowl NW, then loop back to upper bench. This is longer and rather roundabout, but looks like only scree
2: Second option. From JS col sideslope to tarn below upper bench. This has been done by several people that post here & no problems were reported. From this tarn, keep contouring on scree till cliffs erode and wide scree fan allows transfer to upper bench. This option is more direct, but I can not tell how much these cliffs have really eroded and how bad contouring would be

Close-up of second option:

Picture of that tarn for option 2:

Basically the idea is from snowpatch at far end of lake keep going till you can cut right and up. (Image above is borrowed from this report)

Has anyone tried this in summer conditions? How difficult was it, if so? Which option would you recommend? Any other ideas/suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-08-18 at 10.18.56 PM.png
Views:	783
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	82674  

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-08-18 at 10.14.15 PM.png
Views:	840
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	82682  

Last edited by zeljkok; 08-20-2015 at 02:03 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2015, 02:16 AM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Awesome scenery and a beautiful lake. We have a lake of same name near Mt. Baker.

Your photography is excellent.

K
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2015, 05:38 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Being outside! Hiking, Scrambling, Trail running

I had looked into that as well, I think option 2 would be your best bet. I looked at it earlier this summer on ascent of JS, but didn't actually follow it onward. If you plan on JS this late in the summer, expect some scree grovelling up to the col. It is best done when there is still some snow there, but it won't stop you! Enjoy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2015, 02:01 AM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Thanks Phil; I am hoping someone will come up & say "I've done it. Your best bet is .....".
Anyone?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2015, 11:42 AM
Scaling New Heights

Here's the route that I took (yellow). The red line is a possible alternative to gain the plateau up easy scree slopes. The yellow line continues to contour on a good ledge system around the cliffs beyond line of sight. You then gain the plateau shortly before the falls, where the cliffs are easily passable and the ledge system peters out.

Your best bet for traversing from the small lake is to stay just above where the scree slope meets solid rocky slabs, as the slope is gentler here and the scree is relatively stable.
Attached Images

post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2015, 02:03 AM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Thank you; will report how it went if I try.
That's a fantastic pic by the way; you can see whole route to Iceberg Lake too
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2015, 03:51 AM
Headed for the Mountains

There's actually a third option: traversing a slightly exposed scree bench below the summit of what I've dubbed "Mt. Jimmy Thompson" (the unnamed peak between Simpson and Thompson). You'll find the bench on the south side of the peak reasonably level with the col. I know it will work because I was a third of a way across it (coming from the west) when the inexperienced companions I was with decided they wanted to turn back and call it a day (40 minutes from the summit... in good weather >_<). Note that route is no big deal in dry conditions, but might become dangerous when snow covered.
Attached Images

post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2017, 04:04 PM
Hittin' the Trails

great route.

Do you think it would be possible to continue north to peyto glacier and then out to peyto lake? (ie, a path that runs north in the valley between Mt Thompson and "Mt Jimmy Thompson")?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Peyto hike.png
Views:	132
Size:	1.91 MB
ID:	241810  

Last edited by raidman; 11-25-2017 at 04:05 PM. Reason: image didnt attach
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2017, 04:48 PM
Headed for the Mountains

It's done all the time as a ski but you don't say whether summer or winter but either way you're on the glacier...........so rope up and be knowledgeable in glacier travel and crevasse rescue

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page