North/South Kananaskis Pass trail? - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By SarcasticMarmot

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-20-2015, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Default North/South Kananaskis Pass trail?

I last hiked this loop way back in September 1984, and the trip ended in a bit of calamity, since we learned when we got out that Brian Mulroney had been elected PM

Anyway, all I can remember from the BC side of the trail is a bit of bushwhacking along the Palliser River and I'm now toying with the idea of repeating the route.

So has anyone done this route recently? Is it still necessary to descend to the Palliser? Or is there a non-technical highline alternative?

Thanks in advance for any help or advice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-20-2015, 02:28 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Hiking, Backpacking, Skiing, Space History

We went as far as South Kananaskis pass last year (camping at Three Isle with my kids), and there were several groups doing the loop. The trail to Three Isle Lake has been improved considerably since the 80's (there is now a short set of stairs where you had to scramble a bit before) and the campground has been improved. I don't think you need to descend ALL of the way to the Palliser, but you do lose a fair bit of elevation contouring around Mt Beatty down to Leroy Creek. Gillean Daffern has put her maps online recently (http://kananaskisblog.com/wp-content...ree%20Isle.jpg). The routes are described as 72.1 and 72.2
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-20-2015, 06:22 PM
Off the Beaten Path

In 2012 (so before the massive floods), I heard from a reliable source that the trail was cleared of brush and deadfall.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2015, 09:03 AM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

kelly and mclay,

Thanks for the info!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2015, 03:29 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: hiking, swimming, skiing, paddling.

Did you end up heading this way yet? We are looking at hiking this route in a couple of weeks and looking for recent beta.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-16-2015, 12:49 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Just got out of Kananaskis yesterday after doing this route. It is well taped with Blue ribbon and is easy to follow. The only part that is a little confusing is some washed out trail at the Leroy creek crossings but its never more than 20 m to the other side of the trail. The trail was cleared in 2012 by the Kananaskis Public Safety Section but is still a bit of a bushwhack with a lot of ankle-waist high brush, definitely requires pants and/or gaiters. We did the trail south to north and found that the trail from the shoulder descended to Leroy creek sooner than it did on our older gem trek map but had no problem finding it. I will have a trip report with pictures up later today.

There is also now a small 4 site campground at Beatty lake that my wife and I spent the night at. Much quieter and nicer campground than Three Isle Creek, would highly recommend staying there. No booking/fees required!
kellymcdonald78 likes this.

Not the fastest, but I get to where I am going and enjoy it.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 08:53 PM
Hittin' the Trails

I did this I think in 2011 (maybe 2010). I recall signs saying camping was prohibited at Beatty Lake, but obviously that has changed, and it did look like a great place to camp. I did the Beatty col 'route' (from Three Isle to Turbine), but I would advise against it. The views at the Col were nice, but the decent totally sucked. The initial descent was very steep and pretty sketchy, and there was no real route to speak of (unless I'm totally blind) so it was long and arduous. Finding the trail from there wasn't too bad, and it was in fair shape then IIRC.

Otherwise it was great! Be aware, definitely bear territory.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2015, 12:51 AM
Headed for the Mountains

I guess they must have put in the Beatty Lake campsite because enough people were staying there. It was a great place to camp except for the lack of fish in the lake.

Attached Images

post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2015, 10:21 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: hiking, backpacking, scrambling, climbing

I talked to BC Parks this summer and that's exactly it. They found that enough people were random camping there that it warranted having an actual campground built to keep the area use contained.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-27-2015, 03:57 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Adventure travel

LOL, I still have a nice pair of hiking poles someone threw down from a ledge on their descent, then must have decided to go another route...owner can claim with description :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by someguy View Post
I did this I think in 2011 (maybe 2010). I recall signs saying camping was prohibited at Beatty Lake, but obviously that has changed, and it did look like a great place to camp. I did the Beatty col 'route' (from Three Isle to Turbine), but I would advise against it. The views at the Col were nice, but the decent totally sucked. The initial descent was very steep and pretty sketchy, and there was no real route to speak of (unless I'm totally blind) so it was long and arduous. Finding the trail from there wasn't too bad, and it was in fair shape then IIRC.

Otherwise it was great! Be aware, definitely bear territory.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 08-10-2016, 01:57 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Anyone else done this recently. We are looking at doing this loop Sept long weeknd

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page