Smith-Dorrien Snow Conditions... - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-21-2015, 12:39 AM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Default Smith-Dorrien Snow Conditions...

Is anyone aware of the snow conditions in the Smith-Dorrien area (Hwy 742)? For example, are Mt. Lawrence Grassi, EEOR, and Ha-Ling relatively melted off? What about below tree line?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-21-2015, 03:11 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: hiking,road biking,mountain biking,snowshoeing,scrambling,bike'n'hikes

I had a friend do Grassi a week ago and she had no problem..as for Smith Dorrien..did Tent Ridge Horseshoe last Monday and it was fine..however still allot of snow in the trees..easy getting in..tough getting out..Have a look at my pictures on here for snow levels..hope this helps.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-21-2015, 03:35 PM
Summit Master

Peaks around Canmore (i.e. EEOR, Ha Ling, Lawrence Grassi, etc) are dry (odd frozen snowpatch below treeline possible). Further south, Rimwall and Windotower are equally dry. There is snow on Sparrowhawk (see my report on Read's Tower ). Big Sister has snow on slopes you must traverse after dropping off the ridge & is not in shape right now. I'm not sure further south, but generally speaking SW facing slopes are drier as they get lots of afternoon sun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-21-2015, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Awesome! Thanks so much CalatravaCross and zeljkok! I am planning on doing Rimwall later this week, but wanted to check that it was relatively dry.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-22-2015, 01:07 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: hiking,road biking,mountain biking,snowshoeing,scrambling,bike'n'hikes

You are very welcome..but I believe that Rimwall is still closed due to Big Horn Sheep doing their breeding thing...but I do know that you can still access The Wind Tower.
Perhaps check with the Ranger station...
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-22-2015, 02:19 AM
Super Moderator

Interest: hiking, backpacking, scrambling, climbing

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalatravaCross View Post
You are very welcome..but I believe that Rimwall is still closed due to Big Horn Sheep doing their breeding thing...but I do know that you can still access The Wind Tower.
Perhaps check with the Ranger station...
Where are you getting that information from? I don't see anything to support it. The Wind Valley is closed until June, but that's all north of West Wind Pass. Rimwall is so close to Windtower - in fact, the normal path only diverges above treeline, where there is no trail.
The only clear information I can see about the spring closure is the specific trails on the north (well, more NE) side. (Three Sisters Pass, Middle Sister, and Wind Ridge), but I've always seen it referenced as a closure of Wind Valley, which would not apply to the Rimwall, assuming you are scrambling up the backside like usual.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-22-2015, 10:01 AM
Hittin' the Trails

We attempted Rimwall from the Spray Lakes side about 3-4 weeks ago and it was signed as closed though you could still access West Wind Pass and The Windtower..I would still suggest you call.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-22-2015, 01:48 PM
Hittin' the Trails

I double checked with parks about the closure.
There is a sign there but it refers to the closure from the other side..not Spurling Creek.
So I can now put this one back on my list....sorry for the confusion..have a great scramble.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-22-2015, 06:12 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Being outside! Hiking, Scrambling, Trail running

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalatravaCross View Post
I double checked with parks about the closure.
There is a sign there but it refers to the closure from the other side..not Spurling Creek.
So I can now put this one back on my list....sorry for the confusion..have a great scramble.
It is a confusing notice. I did Windtower a few months back, and read the sign as meaning that the area of West Wind Pass was also part of the closure. Perhaps I should have read it more thoroughly! I cut around below the pass to ascend Windtower, to miss the area of the pass. To access Rimwall, you cut off from the West Wind Pass Trail even lower than for Windtower, so you don't get close to West Wind Pass, anyway.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-22-2015, 07:30 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: hiking, backpacking, scrambling, climbing

Thanks for the update, that makes more sense. That is consistent with the closure being of the Wind Valley, on the other side.
So I guess they are just warning hikers of the closure before they hike up there and realize they're not supposed to go down the other side (also, much easier to place sign at trailhead), but just not making it very clear.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page