How come there are no homes to rent in Waterton? - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By rillenkarren

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-16-2015, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Default How come there are no homes to rent in Waterton?

Now that we have kids we like to rent apartments or houses when we travel, more room, kitchen to cook our meals, etc.. but I can't seem to find any private homes for rent in Waterton on VRBO or Airbnb, etc.. anyone know why? Kind of annoying that the only options seem to be hotel or camp but nothing in between.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2015, 12:57 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: Hiking & snowshoeing

I am assuming that Waterton has the same situation as other townsites within national parks, like Banff and Jasper, in that all residential leaseholds include the "need to reside" clause in them; that is, the home owner is legally bound to ensure that the property is occupied by someone who meets the legal definition in the clause (i.e. works in the park). The reason this exists is that the national park townsites' boundaries are fixed by the National Park Act; there is a finite amount of land available for residential development and the housing is needed for those who work in the park.

If there were not the "need to reside" clause in the national park townsite's residential leases, those towns would become more like Canmore, where a large percentage of the housing is second homes, that sit unoccupied for large chunks of time, while local workers struggle to find housing and pay extremely high rents.
Rachelo likes this.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2015, 07:59 AM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by rillenkarren View Post
I am assuming that Waterton has the same situation as other townsites within national parks, like Banff and Jasper, in that all residential leaseholds include the "need to reside" clause in them; that is, the home owner is legally bound to ensure that the property is occupied by someone who meets the legal definition in the clause (i.e. works in the park). The reason this exists is that the national park townsites' boundaries are fixed by the National Park Act; there is a finite amount of land available for residential development and the housing is needed for those who work in the park.

If there were not the "need to reside" clause in the national park townsite's residential leases, those towns would become more like Canmore, where a large percentage of the housing is second homes, that sit unoccupied for large chunks of time, while local workers struggle to find housing and pay extremely high rents.
Ah ok makes sense, still, would be nice to be able to have a kitchen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-23-2015, 10:49 PM
Scaling New Heights

Interest: Backpacking, car camping, aviation

Field,BC in Yoho found a way around that. Nearly all the homes are duplexes with a single owner owning both sides who rent the other half out as guest accommodations
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-28-2015, 11:25 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: Hiking & snowshoeing

In Field, are they duplexes or secondary suites? In Jasper, home-owners are allowed to convert a secondary suite into "private home accommodation" (overnight visitor accommodation) as long as the "primary use" of the home remains residential, but a complete duplex unit cannot be used as visitor accommodation. Someone who lives in one-half of a duplex can have a visitor accommodation rooms but they have to be within their side of the duplex and can't contain a kitchen, since the zoning only allows two kitchens and they are already present - one in each duplex unit.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2015, 12:21 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Send a message via AIM to cgoble

There's no mandatory work requirement in Waterton. The park will remove your lease if you're found renting your place. About 5-7 years the number of under-the-table arrangements came to a head. A memo was released highlighting the illegality of the action according to local townsite operation by the park. The penalty was termination of leases for those caught renting or advertising to rent (without a valid business and hotel license).

I believe home exchanges are fine, but not for-profit enterprises.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2015, 12:22 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Send a message via AIM to cgoble

If the proposed ACC hut up at Cameron goes through, there should be accommodation up there during the winter.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2015, 12:38 AM
Scaling New Heights

Interest: Backpacking, car camping, aviation

They're duplexes, I stayed in one for a few months back in 2005 when I was doing contract work in Lake Louise. Separate entries, kitchens, laundry spaces, etc. Nothing shared with the owner's side at all. The town is full of me.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-18-2015, 04:51 PM
Scaling New Heights

http://www.nationalparkstraveler.com...onal-park26714

Cameron Lake winter ACC hut announcement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page