cheap or free camping in Bow Valley or K Country - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By kellymcdonald78

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-26-2015, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Default cheap or free camping in Bow Valley or K Country

I'm dropping my wife off at a conference in Calgary in a few weeks then heading back west to do some research around the southeast of BC. Most of my week will consist of staying in free or cheap BC Rec Sites, but since the research will start with Kootenay Park I'm looking for a quick overnight on the Alberta side before I head back west. I'm too cheap to spend $26 to set up my tent for what will likely be about a six hour stay in a provincial park campground. Any suggestions that aren't too far from 1 or 1A, Morley, Cochrane, Bragg Creek, anything around there is good. I don't mind just pulling over and sleeping in my car for that length of time, so if anyone knows of a reasonable safe rest area etc that would work fine too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-29-2015, 10:52 AM
Hittin' the Trails

I'm still new to this as I moved to Calgary 2 years ago but up the trunk road has plenty of spots. Ive camped near Waiparous a couple of times. Be aware this is crown land but there is the odd pay site, they are clearly marked and its quite easy to sort that part out.

A quick google search and this guy does a nice writeup.

http://albertascampgrounds.com/campi...ry-trunk-road/

Hope this is not too far north for you.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-29-2015, 04:31 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Hiking, Backpacking, Skiing, Space History

Random camping in the Waiparous and McLean Creek PLUZ is permitted as long as you're more than 1km off the highway (check out the ESRD maps). Just be aware that these are also offroad areas so they aren't always the most quiet and serene places. Also, some of the trails off the highway can be fairly rugged and muddy, so be careful with what you're driving.
RigidTaco likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-30-2015, 01:00 AM
Headed for the Mountains

We used to moto cross in the Waiparous area and see folks camping all over, mostley off road crews, 4 wheelers and moto cross, man that clay was tricky when wet.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2015, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Thanks, those are some good suggestions. I think I'm looking more at just pulling off the highway and napping in the car. Off Highways 1 or 1A would be good but I don't want to be far off or disturbed by midnight yahoos. A rest area on 40 or 22 would probably be the best. Around Barrier Lake? Or will they let someone just park and nap with the truckers at Dead Man's Flats?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2015, 06:31 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Hiking, Backpacking, Skiing, Space History

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Kinkaid View Post
Thanks, those are some good suggestions. I think I'm looking more at just pulling off the highway and napping in the car. Off Highways 1 or 1A would be good but I don't want to be far off or disturbed by midnight yahoos. A rest area on 40 or 22 would probably be the best. Around Barrier Lake? Or will they let someone just park and nap with the truckers at Dead Man's Flats?

Technically, day use areas close at 11:00pm but that would only impact you in the Provincial Parks, and it is not permitted to overnight in rest areas inside the National Parks. You can overnight in rest areas outside of the parks, but you're probably not going to get the best night sleep.

That said, I know several climbers who sleep in their cars in order to get an early start who have never encountered issues.

If you're just heading from Calgary to Kootney National Park, it's only a 2 hour drive.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-03-2015, 01:36 AM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellymcdonald78 View Post
Technically, day use areas close at 11:00pm but that would only impact you in the Provincial Parks, and it is not permitted to overnight in rest areas inside the National Parks. You can overnight in rest areas outside of the parks, but you're probably not going to get the best night sleep.

That said, I know several climbers who sleep in their cars in order to get an early start who have never encountered issues.

If you're just heading from Calgary to Kootney National Park, it's only a 2 hour drive.
I know, just saving money and I won't be able to stay where my wife's staying. Climber's parking is a good idea - any trouble parking at the Yamnuska parking lot or some similar Canmore area trailhead?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page