Cross Country Routes Canadian Rockies - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-03-2015, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: backpacking, hiking, mountain biking
Default Cross Country Routes Canadian Rockies

I am starting to plan a backpacking trip for this summer in the Canadian Rockies and was looking for some ideas. Trip length would be around 4 to 8 days. I was hoping to focus on an off the beaten track route with some cross country sections. So far I have been looking at the White Goat Wilderness but anywhere in the Canadian Rockies would be a possibility. Does anyone have any route ideas or advice that I could consider? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2015, 05:36 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: hiking, backpacking, scrambling, climbing

This route and variations have been enjoyed by a few.
some neat loops can also be made by crossing over Cline Pass.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2015, 11:52 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Friends of mine hiked from Ya Ha Tinda to Minnewanka via the Panther River, Wigmore Lake and the Cascade River a few years ago in October, they loved it. Had a grizzly encounter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2015, 12:04 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Hiking, Backpacking, Skiing, Space History

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff78 View Post
I am starting to plan a backpacking trip for this summer in the Canadian Rockies and was looking for some ideas. Trip length would be around 4 to 8 days. I was hoping to focus on an off the beaten track route with some cross country sections. So far I have been looking at the White Goat Wilderness but anywhere in the Canadian Rockies would be a possibility. Does anyone have any route ideas or advice that I could consider? Thanks!

There is the North Boundary Trail in Jasper, 8 days could be tight depending on your pace. Get to see Mt Robinson and Berg Lake on the way out, but most of the trail is fairly remote
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2015, 05:42 PM
Summit Master

North Boundary is remote and excellent choice, but 4-8 days might be too short indeed.

One idea that fits into allocated time, and travels through spectacular territory with historical significance: 1-way crossing from Poboktan Creek on Icefields Parkway to Maligne Lake. Parks Canada has "abandoned" maintenance & solitude is all but guaranteed. Hike itself can be done in 3-4 days, but Maligne Pass is such spectacular area with tons of side trip options it deserves couple of extra nights stay.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2015, 05:58 PM
Headed for the Mountains

I've been looking into the same thing, but 3-6 days. Any hopes of a route that comes across a cabin/structure about half way through?
thx
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2015, 06:57 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: hiking, backpacking, scrambling, climbing

Not likely. I mean, you'll find the odd old warden cabin which is a structure, but one you don't have access to. We don't really have backcountry cabins other than huts up on the icefields. The remote areas are generally truly remote, but on the BC side, you might have an option somewhere. What exactly are you looking for, with multiple days but just a cabin once in the middle? That would help make more sense.

Maligne Pass is beautiful and would be good to explore it if you were staying on the 4-day side of that, but any longer than that and I'd go somewhere with more, rather than just staying in that same place for additional days.

Last edited by Rachelo; 03-06-2015 at 07:02 PM.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2015, 07:29 PM
Off the Beaten Path

You might want to look into the Snaring River area of Jasper NP. Miette Pass and Elysium Pass are both access points, there are lots of scrambles around, and you'd probably not see a single person the whole time.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2015, 09:23 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclay1234 View Post
You might want to look into the Snaring River area of Jasper NP. Miette Pass and Elysium Pass are both access points, there are lots of scrambles around, and you'd probably not see a single person the whole time.
+1 Miette Pass and Elysium Pass.
I'd be very happy if you test out Miette Pass Trail for me. I've had wonderful trips in these two areas in winter season.

http://stevensong.com/miette-pass-peaks
http://stevensong.com/elysium-mountain
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2015, 09:27 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachelo View Post

Maligne Pass is beautiful and would be good to explore it if you were staying on the 4-day side of that, but any longer than that and I'd go somewhere with more, rather than just staying in that same place for additional days.
Now to think of it more, outstanding option is to continue to Jasper over Skyline. So Poboktan Creek -- Maligne Pass -- Maligne Lake -- Skyline -- Jasper. That would fit right into 7-8 day frame. Only drawback I can see is that Skyline is fairly popular, so won't have solitude in that part, otherwise - ultimate Jasper backpack

Last edited by zeljkok; 03-07-2015 at 01:08 AM.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2015, 09:35 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Zeljkok: that'll be an awesome trip. It's actually the "13 pass traverse route" on skis in Chic's book.

I do have one suggestion for that side of Jasper NP. Start from Nigel Pass, down S. Boundary trail, bushwhack up and ascend Marble Mountain and Flat Ridge (check my site for these two peaks). Then hike through some beautiful alpine meadows to cross over to the John-john Creek and then Poboktan Pass. Pick up the trail, scramble up Poboktan Mountain and hike out via Poboktan Creek trail. Add 1 extra day if you do a side trip to Maligne Pass (and scramble Replica Peak).
post #12 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2015, 09:47 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenSong View Post
Zeljkok: that'll be an awesome trip. It's actually the "13 pass traverse route" on skis in Chic's book.
Awesome - didn't know that!

One track I'm seriously looking into for myself is 5-6 day Alexandra River - Castleguard loop. Now that Parks Canada has put Alexandra out of commission, it is totally off the beaten track. In via Alexandra river to Castleguard Meadows, then highline return via Terrace and Saskatchewan Towers col. I looked into summitsearch & asked Eric - totally feasible. But I can not endorse as I haven't done it; Maligne Pass / Skyline I did.
PhilR likes this.
post #13 of (permalink) Old 03-09-2015, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: backpacking, hiking, mountain biking

Everyone,

Thanks for all the ideas! Looks like I will be spending some time looking at maps and checking out the routes. I was initially looking at routes around Job Lake, Samson Lake, Coral Creek, and McDonald Creek in the White Goat Wilderness, but some of these new ideas sound great. Thanks again, Jeff
post #14 of (permalink) Old 03-09-2015, 06:48 PM
Headed for the Mountains

+1
Re the shelter, I was thinking of having at least one night assured to be dry. Otherwise, tenting is fine.
post #15 of (permalink) Old 09-30-2015, 11:43 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: Trees, Photography, education

Cline is far more remote than almost anything in Jasper, (North boundary trail being a possible exception) at least in terms of traffic.

There are lots of loops possible from Rock lake in Willmore. I did an 8 pass 6 day trip with a group of grade 10's there once. The routes uses passes between Indian, Mountain and Berland. At almost any point you can cut the remaining time in half by picking up Indian or Mountain trail and going back to Rock Lake.

The latter two route segments are remnants of old forest fire access, in turn remnants of coal mining. While fast trails, they are dull as dishwater. Water and camping are problematic: The water is at the valley floor in the puckybrush, the camping is at timberline, 1/4 to 1/2 mile away.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page