I would forget flying into Assiniboine, the way you guys hike you could hike in from Sunshine Village in a day and thats a very nice hike. Once at Assiniboine make sure to head up the nublet for the best views.
Berg Lake is the best backpack trip I've ever done, Snowbird pass is amazing. Walking up along Robson Glacier, up into the alpine meadow and topping out with the reef icefield panorama. Since this can't be done as a day hike from the road, why not use your helicopter money to fly into Berg Lake for the day and day hike from there?
If you want to see the Wapta icefield it would be an easy hike up to Bow Hut for you, and then a 45 minute scramble to the top of the onion. Great views
Lake O'Hara, again with the mileage you guys do you could just hike in from the road and do the Alpine Circuit. Another good hike is Macarthur Lake, and the scramble up Schaeffer (can both be done in a day).
If you return to Lake Louise there's lots of scrambles you can do, Temple being the obvious big one.
Apparently Mt Niles is an extremely scenic scramble, and the approach via Sherbrooke Lake is very nice.
I really enjoyed the Bugaboo's, hiking up to Conrad Kain hut and Applebee Dome. If you're willing to drive a bit I highly recommend Perley Rock hike at Rogers Pass (Glacier National Park, Canadian one). These are two of my favourite day hikes and they don't get mentioned much.
quote:Originally posted by alliecat378
We're looking for some new day hikes/scrambles for our upcoming trip Sept 6-Sept 21 to Canadian Rockies (mainly Jasper/Banff areas).
We can hike up to 40 miles a day with 10k-12k feet in total ascent or have done so in the past with nice weather last year. We would like only rec'd for day hikes/easy scrambles only as we won't be equipped to camp overnight. We prefer trails with water sources so we can filter so we don't have to carry all the water..
To give you an idea what we did last year for our 17 day trip (Canadian Rockies and Glacier NP, I listed the hikes we did last year in order of our favorite: We hiked/moderately scrabmled continuously total 260 miles over 17 days and drove almost 2700 miles as well. We loved every minute of it and that is why we're coming back.
Thanks in advance for all your rec'd.
1. The Skyline (40 miles total)
2. Berg Lake (30 miles total)
3. Lake O'Hara Alpine Circuit (9 miles total - rained out day). Looking to rebook/repeat
4. Iceline/Whaleback Ridge to Summit/Yoho circuit (27 miles total)
5. Highline to Swiftcurrent w/ side trips Grinnell Glacier (17 miles total)
6. Larch/Sentinel/Paradise Valley w/ side trips (16 miles total)
7. Chief/Ptarmigan Tunnel/Iceberg/Swift (26 miles total)
8. Dawson-Pitamakan (22 miles total)
9. Fairview Summit
10. Piegan Pass
11. Plains of Six Glaciers/Beehive Loop
12. Grinnell Glacier (11 miles total)
13. Wilcox Pass to Tangle (11.5 miles total)
14. Hidden Lake (6 miles total)
15 Sun Point/Virginia Falls Loop