New Hikes for 2nd trip to Canadian Rockies please? - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-11-2014, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Default New Hikes for 2nd trip to Canadian Rockies please?

Hello,

We're looking for some new day hikes/scrambles for our upcoming trip Sept 6-Sept 21 to Canadian Rockies (mainly Jasper/Banff areas).

We can hike up to 40 miles a day with 10k-12k feet in total ascent or have done so in the past with nice weather last year. We would like only rec'd for day hikes/easy scrambles only as we won't be equipped to camp overnight. We prefer trails with water sources so we can filter so we don't have to carry all the water..

To give you an idea what we did last year for our 17 day trip (Canadian Rockies and Glacier NP, I listed the hikes we did last year in order of our favorite: We hiked/moderately scrabmled continuously total 260 miles over 17 days and drove almost 2700 miles as well. We loved every minute of it and that is why we're coming back.

Thanks in advance for all your rec'd.

1. The Skyline (40 miles total)
2. Berg Lake (30 miles total)
3. Lake O'Hara Alpine Circuit (9 miles total - rained out day). Looking to rebook/repeat
4. Iceline/Whaleback Ridge to Summit/Yoho circuit (27 miles total)
5. Highline to Swiftcurrent w/ side trips Grinnell Glacier (17 miles total)
6. Larch/Sentinel/Paradise Valley w/ side trips (16 miles total)
7. Chief/Ptarmigan Tunnel/Iceberg/Swift (26 miles total)
8. Dawson-Pitamakan (22 miles total)
9. Fairview Summit
10. Piegan Pass
11. Plains of Six Glaciers/Beehive Loop
12. Grinnell Glacier (11 miles total)
13. Wilcox Pass to Tangle (11.5 miles total)
14. Hidden Lake (6 miles total)
15 Sun Point/Virginia Falls Loop
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-11-2014, 03:36 PM
Scaling New Heights

Wow if you are doing 40 miles a day the sky is the limit. I'd recommend you spend some time just east of Sask River crossing. Owen Creek - Pinto Lake - Sunset Pass is a classic, as is Landslide lake out via the Cline (check on trail conditions). Nigel Pass- Cataract - out via the Brazeau loop would be another adventure. Would see very few people on most of these trails.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-11-2014, 03:49 PM
High on the Mountain Top

You mean kilometers, not miles, right?
The Skilyne Trail is 44-46km long, Berg Lake - 42km, etc.

I think you will love Northover Ridge in Kananaskis. It's a 34km loop with one vehicle or 38km with the two, and over 1200m elevation gain. You can squeeze in Mt. Sarrail if you're high on energy.

Tonquin Valley is another good option that you mentioned in another thread. 44km loop.

Skoki Lodge via Packer's and Deception Passes is another very scenic loop. Approximately 30km round way. A great choice for the larch season. You might have time to ascent Skoki Mountain.

Many other options. It all depends what kind of scenery you prefer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-11-2014, 06:22 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Wow, your mileage is herculean! Wish I had that kind of stamina.

At any rate, on your way up from the USA, why not pop into the Cranbrook area and dash up Fisher Peak? Smokin' beautiful up there.

It's hair under 9500' with just under a 5000' ft elev gain. It will burn the thighs of all but the most stout-hearted among us. However, from the blistering pace you kept last time in these mountains, you might find it straight forward. Still, the vistas are astounding up there and the hike a rewarding grind.

http://www.summitpost.org/mount-fisher/416852

http://www.crownofthecontinent.net/c...C7D7156FA4BCCA

post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-11-2014, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Hello,

Wow, thanks for the great suggestions. I really mean miles. Yes, I realized Berg Lake and the Skyline are about 46km or so but there was a mishap so we had to hike the fire road AGAIN (up/down for another 10+ miles). As for Berg Lake, we hiked towards Snowbird and gave up after a couple miles since we wanted to save our legs for the Skyline. We are NOT athletes, but we pack very light and move fast/hike with a purpose.

We're flying straight to Calgary from US. I don't know if we'll be wandering back near the USA bordere ... trying to keep the driving around Banff/Jasper...

Thanks again for the ideas ... please keep them coming.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2014, 09:37 AM
Off the Beaten Path

OT: To a Filipino this topic title is a little confusing. CR refers to the bathroom in Filipino English, and it's easy to forget which words are unique to my dialect.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2014, 08:38 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Perhaps I may add this to the suggestion box.

https://www.clubtread.com/sforum/topi...TOPIC_ID=32328

It appears like you enjoy hiking and scrambling too. I like to try and mix in some scrambling while out on a backpack trip since I really enjoy seeing the country from up high on a mountain summit. I took 6 days as I did a couple scrambles along the way but as a backpacking trip alone, it can be done in 3-4 days. It is beautiful country. Between Fish Lakes and Helen Lake, you may not encounter anybody. A great solitude backpack trip for you. Routefinding was not that hard between Pipestone Pass and the Katherine Lakes but I would obtain the route info from the guidebook. I did not use a GPS and I had no issues but then again I am not from out of country and am pretty familiar with routefinding in the Rockies. When you exit via Helen Lake, since you have not done it, before dropping down to the lake, leave your packs on top of the ridge and scramble/hike up to the top of Cirque Peak, you'll get a great view of the country you travelled the past 3-5 days or so. I did not do this on this particular trip since I had already done Cirque Peak years ago and I was a wee bit tired at this point.

I second the Owen Creek, Michele Lakes, Sunset Pass area. Beautiful country and again would be pretty much on your own except for Pinto Lake. From Pinto Lake, you could then go into a place called the Whitegoat Wilderness and over Cataract Pass and out via Nigel Pass and creek. Would need a car shuttle for this one. Or a hitchhike. We did the hitchhike thing and had no issues getting a driver to drive us to our original trailhead to retrieve our car. This is nicely detailed in Great Divide Trail guidebook.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2014, 12:09 PM
Off the Beaten Path

I'm getting exhausted just looking at your trail list from last year...jealous, too!

One big thing to consider here...the end of your trip coincides with the beginning of the fall larch colour season. Therefore you should plan to do the best larch hikes at the end of the trip. Golden larches, deep blue skies, maybe a dusting of fresh snow, it doesn't get better than this! Can you move your trip a week later?

You've already done a couple nice larch hikes, but Larch/Sentinel/Paradise would be an excellent re-do when they're golden. Lake O'Hara, too, but good luck getting a res.

Other great larch hikes to consider:

Healy Pass/Egypt Lake
Arnica Lake/Twin Lakes/Gibbon Pass/Shadow Lake
(actually you seem ambitious enough to combine these 2 into one long outing)
Skoki
Assiniboine!!!
Burstall Pass plus scrambles

And 2 long days on the Rockwall. First, start at Paint Pots, go Helmet Creek - Helmet Falls - Rockwall Pass - Tumbling Pass and out Numa Creek. Possible side trip to Goodsir Pass. Second, Floe Lake - Numa Pass and out Numa Creek. (Tumbling Creek is a better way out, but it's been closed for 2 years with bridges out...still, check with Parks Canada later in summer in case they've reopened it by then).

Then again, if you REALLY want to push it, do the whole Rockwall in one day!

Cheers!

post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2014, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Busy filling up my days with your suggestions. Thanks so much ... so many wonder trails...

Eventually, I may learn how to backpack but for now, I'm content to explore trails as day hikes or "front" country (LOHara or Boine) if given a chance. Not sure what kind of stuff I need for "front" country camping. Guess I need to pick up sleeping bags and stuff in Calgary??

On my list for this trip:

Lake O'Hara (1-2 extra nights if I can book the hut)
The Skyline
Berg Lake (maybe also Snowbird Pass/Mum)
Tonquin Valley
The Skyline Sulphur and hotspring
Yoho/Whaleback Summit/Iceline circuit
Assiniboine (2 nights) flying in and out
Northover Ridge

Will look into other day hikes ....
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2014, 08:50 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: hiking, backpacking, scrambling, climbing

You can't book the hut at Lake O'Hara. It booked many months ago.

You could rent a sleeping bag in Calgary if you wanted to hit Assiniboine on one of the ends of your trip.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2014, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

I've inquired and I can indeed book the hut, still. I can book as long as there are opening and for those of you who are interested, there are spaces on Sept 1, 3, and 30 still. I'm waiting for my dates to open up or just try the bus for dayhikes.

Thanks for the renting sleeping bag suggestion. I was going to buy some cheap one at Costco (Calgary) or something and then donate afterwards ...
post #12 of (permalink) Old 05-22-2014, 09:36 AM
Headed for the Mountains

I would forget flying into Assiniboine, the way you guys hike you could hike in from Sunshine Village in a day and thats a very nice hike. Once at Assiniboine make sure to head up the nublet for the best views.

Berg Lake is the best backpack trip I've ever done, Snowbird pass is amazing. Walking up along Robson Glacier, up into the alpine meadow and topping out with the reef icefield panorama. Since this can't be done as a day hike from the road, why not use your helicopter money to fly into Berg Lake for the day and day hike from there?

If you want to see the Wapta icefield it would be an easy hike up to Bow Hut for you, and then a 45 minute scramble to the top of the onion. Great views

Lake O'Hara, again with the mileage you guys do you could just hike in from the road and do the Alpine Circuit. Another good hike is Macarthur Lake, and the scramble up Schaeffer (can both be done in a day).

If you return to Lake Louise there's lots of scrambles you can do, Temple being the obvious big one.

Apparently Mt Niles is an extremely scenic scramble, and the approach via Sherbrooke Lake is very nice.

I really enjoyed the Bugaboo's, hiking up to Conrad Kain hut and Applebee Dome. If you're willing to drive a bit I highly recommend Perley Rock hike at Rogers Pass (Glacier National Park, Canadian one). These are two of my favourite day hikes and they don't get mentioned much.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by alliecat378

Hello,

We're looking for some new day hikes/scrambles for our upcoming trip Sept 6-Sept 21 to Canadian Rockies (mainly Jasper/Banff areas).

We can hike up to 40 miles a day with 10k-12k feet in total ascent or have done so in the past with nice weather last year. We would like only rec'd for day hikes/easy scrambles only as we won't be equipped to camp overnight. We prefer trails with water sources so we can filter so we don't have to carry all the water..

To give you an idea what we did last year for our 17 day trip (Canadian Rockies and Glacier NP, I listed the hikes we did last year in order of our favorite: We hiked/moderately scrabmled continuously total 260 miles over 17 days and drove almost 2700 miles as well. We loved every minute of it and that is why we're coming back.

Thanks in advance for all your rec'd.

1. The Skyline (40 miles total)
2. Berg Lake (30 miles total)
3. Lake O'Hara Alpine Circuit (9 miles total - rained out day). Looking to rebook/repeat
4. Iceline/Whaleback Ridge to Summit/Yoho circuit (27 miles total)
5. Highline to Swiftcurrent w/ side trips Grinnell Glacier (17 miles total)
6. Larch/Sentinel/Paradise Valley w/ side trips (16 miles total)
7. Chief/Ptarmigan Tunnel/Iceberg/Swift (26 miles total)
8. Dawson-Pitamakan (22 miles total)
9. Fairview Summit
10. Piegan Pass
11. Plains of Six Glaciers/Beehive Loop
12. Grinnell Glacier (11 miles total)
13. Wilcox Pass to Tangle (11.5 miles total)
14. Hidden Lake (6 miles total)
15 Sun Point/Virginia Falls Loop
post #13 of (permalink) Old 05-22-2014, 05:03 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page