post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2014, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Default Glacier walk

It opens on May 1st. Sad very sad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2014, 08:01 PM
High on the Mountain Top

I don't give a damn about it as long as it doesn't affect parking lot at Tangle Falls.

And I must acknowledge the Brewster did marketing very well. Travel&Leisure Magazine placed The Glacier Walk on #5 in their "World Coolest New Tourist Attractions":

http://www.travelandleisure.com/arti...actions-2014/5
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2014, 08:13 PM
High on the Mountain Top

When I read the application in 2011 (time flies!) this was my interpretation of the impact it would have on hikers that needed to use the Tangle Falls parking lot. Obviously my interpretation may have been incorrect and they may have changed their plans since their application was made.

"- During operating hours, the Sunwapta Canyon Viewpoint parking lot will be closed to all traffic and reserved exclusively for Brewsters buses. After hours, a small handful of cars may park there.
- An 800m trail will be constructed between Sunwapta Canyon Viewpoint and the Tangle Falls parking lot. This will allow people to park at Tangle Falls to then check out the Glacier Discovery Walk or the enhanced free public viewing area. Surely, this will be a stop on many people's trips if a stall is available and the demand for spots at Tangle Falls will increase by many orders of magnitude.
- It sounds like they are planning for capacity of 5000 people per day through the Glacier Discovery Walk with a visit time of about 60 minutes each. If someone parks at Tangle Falls, I estimate they would be there for about 80 minutes (10 minute walk each way.) With 25 stalls and two people per vehicle, that means that the Tangle Falls parking lot can handle about 338 visitors/day to the Glacier Discovery Walk. The rest will have to park at the Glacier Discover Centre and take the bus. It seems likely that the Tangle Falls parking lot will be completely saturated by visitors to the new Brewsters attraction and it would be incredibly unlikely to find a free parking spot. To make matters worse, they won't be able to use the Sunwapta Canyon Viewpoint parking lot as a back-up since it will now be closed to cars. If parking is not available at Tangle Falls, visitors can drive to the Glacier Discover Center and ride the bus back to the Sunwapta Canyon Viewpoint(during 9-6.)"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2014, 09:51 PM
Summit Master

I don't like it same as most people on this board likely won't. But it is hardly surprising. Rockies (or any other) 'development' is really just another form of 2nd law of thermodynamics.

How about that Maligne Lake Resort, is it built yet?

post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-26-2014, 10:14 AM
Headed for the Mountains

I hate it.

There seem to be two sets of rules for Canada's national parks. The first is for most of us ClubTreaders. We can't camp off trail. Permits for anything like that are extremely difficult to get. Trails aren't maintained like they used to be and on and on.

The second set of rules is for business interests like Brewsters. Lobby. Get whatever you want in a national park.

Mark my words, the hotel development at Maligne Lake will get approved. A year ago they were going to stop plowing the road during the winter months to save the caribou. Now Parks Canada is seriously considering putting a hotel development up there.

So much for National Parks being for the recreational use of outdoor lovers.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-26-2014, 12:39 PM
Hittin' the Trails

I don't have any problem with development within a National Park. However, the development should balance certain objectives. My principal objection to this stupid Glacier Walk is that it doesn't contribute anything to the park. The view from the platform is... well, what? Can you even see the glacier from there? As well, the cost for customers on the platform is exorbitant, so it doesn't balance accessibility either. I've been to similar developments in Switzerland and Norway. Both were free and contributed to the overall view (and most importantly, did not distract from the natural beauty of the environment).
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2014, 07:54 AM
Headed for the Mountains

http://glacierskywalk.ca/videos/

The views must be pretty mediocre because all of the promo videos lean heavily on footage from other parts of the rockies and helicopter footage of the Columbia Icefields.
Interesting to note that the first video shows a group of unroped hikers casually strolling amongst the seracs of a steep icefall (around 1:10).
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2014, 09:30 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Matthew.Hobbs

http://glacierskywalk.ca/videos/

The views must be pretty mediocre because all of the promo videos lean heavily on footage from other parts of the rockies and helicopter footage of the Columbia Icefields.
Interesting to note that the first video shows a group of unroped hikers casually strolling amongst the seracs of a steep icefall (around 1:10).
If you go out to the farthest point of the rubble discovery walk, that is what you'll see if you look down through the glass floor. Rubble, rubble and more rubble, Rubble from when they blasted the hillside to build the road. Because it is a GLACIER skywalk, you'd think that you'd be walking above a glacier, but you'd be wrong. Just plain old rubble. That should be worth $20 or $30, hoewever much they will charge. The glaciers that you do see in the distance you can see for free from the road. It is a scam on tourists. I suppose there will be some people who'll enjoy walking on glass far above the rubble, but I think most people will be disappointed.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2014, 10:04 AM
Off the Beaten Path

Wow, the marketing surrounding this is tremendous! It is truly a sight to behold. A grocery store has more ice in it than this has nearby. It is basically a glass-floored walking platform that goes out over a chossy gulch. I imagine you may be able to view part of a distant glacier somewhere, but that was not at all evident in the advertisement.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2014, 10:45 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Very flashy commercial. No tie in with McD's or Starbucks? I'd love to have a Whipped Glacier-pucino or see the little ones enjoy a Skywalk Happy Meal as I gaze down on the rubble below.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2014, 12:36 PM
Summit Master

Location: Finally stopping that crazy suffering that is ice, climbing to concentrate on great ski tours!, .
Interest: Anything that can drag me to the mountains. Backpacking is #1, followed by climbing, dayhiking and camping with family.

This thing is only step one to replacing the buses that drive on the glacier. As the moraine steepens and the glacier recedes, there isn't much time left before that attraction can't run anymore.

The company that bought Brewsters is big time into gondolas. It's their "thing."

Personally, I think the Glacier Walk thing might end being the lower terminus for a gondola that ascends to come point on Wilcox Peak. It would be 100x more spectacular than the stupid glacier walk and be a sound (business wise) replacement attraction for the buses.

I'm cringing at the thought.
post #12 of (permalink) Old 04-29-2014, 03:11 PM
Scaling New Heights

I can't believe that there will be enough tourists stupid enough to drop $25 to take in a view that no better than dozens more available for free - though I assume the main market will be pre-paid bus tours.

The most satisfying result would be outcry on TripAdvisor on the "attraction" and Brewster's lose their shirt on this ill conceived measure. Can only hope, I suppose
post #13 of (permalink) Old 04-30-2014, 06:35 AM
High on the Mountain Top

A lot of (understandable) negativity on this thing. I actually like the architecture, I think it's modern without being cheesy. Sure, you're only looking down at choss, but that's what I look down at 90% of the time I'm in the Rockies too so it's appropriate no?

For those people who'll never experience the wonder of camping high up on the ice field directly across from the sky walk, they get to feel the airy experience of being 'exposed' in the mountains, looking down several hundred feet to the earth and the sights / smells of the area. Of course I'd want to go early to avoid other sights / smells but I'm not the average tourist that will visit this thing.

I think it'll be extremely popular and hopefully gets more people loving Alberta's beauty rather than thinking we're just oil sands.
post #14 of (permalink) Old 04-30-2014, 09:36 AM
Summit Master

Interest: Women
post #15 of (permalink) Old 04-30-2014, 10:37 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Exploring the Coast Mountains and surrounding ocean waters in all seasons.

Quote:
quote:I can't believe that there will be enough tourists stupid enough to drop $25 to take in a view that no better than dozens more available for free - though I assume the main market will be pre-paid bus tours.
It's Brewster. They'll do what Whistler/Blackcomb did. Every ticket up the mountain pays for the P2P. Brewster will tack it onto the cost of one of their sightseeing fares and market it as a crowning jewel. That will bring the numbers up.

If they don't get enough walkers, they can always drive the busses over it. That should provide a buzz...

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page