Hole in the wall on Mt. Cory ?? - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 07:17 AM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Default Hole in the wall on Mt. Cory ??

Three times I tried to hike to the Hole in the wall on Mt.Cory. The first two times I lost site of it when nearing the mountain, and hiked/scrambled up to a dead end . The last time I ended up in a draw that had about a ten foot step that I would have to climb up. it was straight up, there was a pole/dead tree, leaning up to the step, but it didnt look like it would hold my weight. Is this the way to hole in the wall? I have searched for the route on the net but nothing comes up.
Neil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 09:04 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Hey Neil,

There is a description of the route in the book titled Caves of the Canadian Rockies and the Columbia Mountains, Page 142. This book is readily available, you should even be able to get a preview of the page that you're looking for in books.google.com
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Thanks Marco, My dad climbed up there in the 40's and took a photo of the valley. I'd like to do the same and see the differences.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 04:22 PM
High on the Mountain Top

I do have the book and can give you a description if you aren't successful finding it in google books. I have thought about going up to check it out, but never got around to it. If weather is nice on Sunday, maybe I'll give it a go. If there's not too much snow.

It would be interesting to see your photo comparison.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Thanks for your offer Marco. I just ordered the book on Amazon. I'm new here and wondering if I can scan this old photo and post it? You must be in real good shape to be hiking in this weather . Im 66yrs. and it's all I can do to hike to a summit in summer. Keep it up!

This next question is off topic,but since I'm here I'll just ask it. In books I have read it mentions the arch thats visible from the west at Lac Des Arcs. Ive been up Heart mountain, and always looked for it while driving past . Where is the arch located ? I mean where is it visible.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 10:14 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: hiking, backpacking, scrambling, climbing

I can also tell you it is available at the public library.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-29-2013, 07:56 AM
High on the Mountain Top

There's also a hole through the ridge just south of Medicine Lake. If you pause on one of the lookouts as you near the end, you'll see it. Has anyone been up there?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-29-2013, 09:46 AM
Hittin' the Trails

I decided to google "Mt. Cory" to see where this was and this turned up:

http://www.soistheman.com/diary/page...mt-cory&page=1

There is a link to a GPS track to the cave in the stats:

http://www.soistheman.com/diary/gpx.php?gpx=[Trail]%20Mount%20Cory.xml

**could get the link to work copy and paste works**

That is of course if this is the place you are referencing if not feel free to ignore this post.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2013, 07:48 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by peter1955

There's also a hole through the ridge just south of Medicine Lake. If you pause on one of the lookouts as you near the end, you'll see it. Has anyone been up there?
Peter, I believe it is commonly called the "Natural Arch" or "Arch". I haven't been up there but certainly someone locally would have information on the route.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 08:09 PM
Hittin' the Trails

I went there last week, scoped out a route with binocs from Bourgeau Lake trailhead. There can be a few minor route variations. The important thing is to stay climbers left of the drainage gully coming from the hole or you will get cliffed out, especially on descent. You will eventually have to drop into that gully from the ridge and exit the same way. I parked on the side of the 1A about 1.6km east of the Muleshoe pullout. There are several trip reports of the Kane ascent route on Mt Cory showing what is purportedly the "The Hole in the Wall" but is in fact a different cave.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150908_121316.jpg
Views:	830
Size:	496.4 KB
ID:	92602  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20150908_131435.jpg
Views:	1626
Size:	184.0 KB
ID:	92610  

John Lundgren
post #11 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2015, 02:50 AM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJNeil View Post
I went there last week, scoped out a route with binocs from Bourgeau Lake trailhead. There can be a few minor route variations. The important thing is to stay climbers left of the drainage gully coming from the hole or you will get cliffed out, especially on descent. You will eventually have to drop into that gully from the ridge and exit the same way. I parked on the side of the 1A about 1.6km east of the Muleshoe pullout. There are several trip reports of the Kane ascent route on Mt Cory showing what is purportedly the "The Hole in the Wall" but is in fact a different cave.

Nice room with a view..

K

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page