Kane Scrambles 2014 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 01:32 AM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Default Kane Scrambles 2015

New Edition of Kane Scrambles (not reprint) is supposed to come out sometime next year. "Expect color photos, a few new scrambles and updated information", as per Alan site. Alternate access for some existing routes will be in too -- i.e Spirko approach for Mt. Pilot

I'm quite curious about new scrambles; maybe an addition of new area (i.e. Assiniboine)? Of existing I imagine Jasper has most room for expansion.

Last edited by zeljkok; 03-16-2015 at 07:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 12:42 PM
High on the Mountain Top

I happen to know of a few doozies that will be in there. But I'm not saying because that'll ruin the surprise!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by vern.dewit

I happen to know of a few doozies that will be in there. But I'm not saying because that'll ruin the surprise!

I thought you might! Part of me wants to send you PM to find out, but I'll wait... pick it up, flip and "oh man... look at this. Let's go"

Do you know when is it coming out? (i.e. spring, summer). That info is not a spoiler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 01:12 PM
High on the Mountain Top

[] Sorry to be such an ass about it but since it's not my book I think I will keep my mouth shut about what I know or don't know. Suffice it to say that he didn't just add 'easy' scrambles...

I'm just hoping that I've already done the majority of the extra peaks he's inserted already. I though I was done with dang KANE LISTS!! [:0]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 01:17 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

hahaha, ok that is fair.
(I do hope for one or two more "Smuts".. just to give folks like YOU bit more sweat till you can reclaim the list [}]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-25-2013, 05:38 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Apparently Nugara's More Scrambles In the Canadian Rockies is getting a new edition in 2014 too!

http://www.amazon.ca/More-Scrambles-.../dp/1771600160
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2013, 07:29 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BenNearingburg

Apparently Nugara's More Scrambles In the Canadian Rockies is getting a new edition in 2014 too!
Includes "Highway 93 North"... hope he hasn't sullied himself with any of that Jasper nonsense!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-15-2014, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Apparently this book is now expected in Spring 2015. Just noticed Alan did recent scramble with Spirko up Lawrence Grassi

http://bobspirko.ca/Canmore/Lawrence/Lawrence.html

Thought it was great to see author revisiting (relatively) straightforward ascents in person as conditions update could have been gathered by other means.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-16-2014, 12:23 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: hiking, backpacking, scrambling, climbing

Interesting.
New More Scrambles is out if anyone hasn't seen it yet.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-10-2014, 01:20 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: scrambles, climbing, water, fastpacking,

if book does comes out and something like... Rundle east to west is in there, I hope Alan explains to people how to judge their risk assessment and has examples for proficiency tests to help increase success rates and not rescue numbers.another help from a new book would be to bring awareness to the many hiking groups out there .so easy now to "meetup" with people that have been on these trails before.
looking forward to the new challenges. even though I have not finished his first book.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2014, 07:54 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Forestwalker, the problem is that most people don't read. The first thing you see when you open the third edition, the one most people have, it has a Disclaimer that points people to several sections of the book, including one titled "Avoiding Death by Scrambling."

Then in the Preface:

"It seems many outdoor enthusiasts want more challenge and a better view, just as I had years earlier. One difference I do notice is that whereas I had taken recognized climbing and mountaineering courses and had significant mountain experience, many users do not. It takes a long time to develop mountain sense and routefinding skills. Although I suggest readers follow a cautious progression, many folks start with limited experience, yet see no need for instructions."

Avoiding Death by Scrambling starts with:

"Scrambling cannot only be hazardous to your life, but it can end it completely. Scrambling kills. For one reason or another, people have already died on routes described in this book. Over the last few years, a typical scrambling accident has involved a young male from Eastern Canada working a summer job in either Banff or Lake Louise. This person is full of energy and surrounded by impressive looking mountains, but has no experience."

I would say this paragraph applies to many more people now. Many Calgarians begin their adventures in the mountains by signing up on a scramble through a meetup site.

This section continues later with:

"Mountains are inherently dangerous and scrambling can doubly dangerous. Participants are adviced to go with caution and select a route within their level of ability and experience. If you are not sure what your abilities are, maybe you don't have any ability. Those without proper skills and experience should enroll in an appropriate course given by a recognized mountain school..."

It continues with much more advice, including:

"Anyone climbing mountains should strive to develop and refine their mountains kills and rely less on the skill and judgement of others. As you do, your level of confidence and margin of safety will rise accordingly. That way, you will be less dependent on written route information and can make sound decisions on your own. Do not put unbridled faith in the information contained in this or any other guidebook."

Unfortunately, the type of person that is likely to get themselves in trouble in the mountains is also the type that is likely to skip these sections of the book.
post #12 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2014, 12:01 PM
Scaling New Heights

Interest: scrambling hiking backpacking snowshoeing

I agree, Marko. Risk factors and safety issues are stressed in the last edition of Scrambles, and among the very people who should read it — those who are overconfident or rash — probably won't. In writing his book Alan set safety as his main concern, as it should be. But he worries about people who don't read his warnings and pointed out a couple of incidents to me. A park ranger told him that one person, who planned to do a Kane scramble in Lake Louise, asked the ranger what an avalanche slope was. And there's the guy who was bent on following my gps track up Mt Kidd in snow conditions when I climbed it dry. He had to be airlifted out.
post #13 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2014, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

So it's rain filled weekend & I keep thinking what new peaks might be in new edition. Vern's "couple of doozies" intrigues me. Here's what I came up with (100% pure speculation):

Wastach Peak (Louise, easy/moderate)
Turret (Kananaskis Lakes, easy/moderate)
Mt. Ishbel (Banff, climber scramble)
Boundary Peak (Icefields, easy)
Jimmy Simpson (Icefields, moderate)
Portal Peak (Icefields, difficult)
Charles Stewart (Canmore, easy)
Princess Margaret (Canmore, difficult)
Lipalian (Skoki, easy/moderate)
Noseeum (Icefields, easy/moderate)
Girouard (Banff, moderate)
Emerald Peak (Yoho, easy/moderate)

In addition, perhaps Mt. Assiniboine as whole new area:
Cautley (easy)
Wonder Peak (moderate)
Towers (moderate)
Nub (easy)

Comments?
post #14 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2014, 01:05 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Those are some nice peaks.

I was told there'll be one beast showing up but I'm not 100% sure. Maybe Kane will change his mind so I'm not going to tell. For curiosity reason here's some hint...

1. It's a giant ******* visible from Highway 1..
2. There's no trip-report yet except from Rick Collier
3. If it's really included it'll easily beat up Old Goat, Northover and Smuts to qualify the hardest in Kane/Nugara lists combination.
4. It's visible from the summit of Mt. Lefroy.
post #15 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2014, 01:40 AM Thread Starter
Summit Master

There are not many peaks that can NOT be seen from Lefroy. But don't say anything; Vern is going to kill you for this anyways

Hey Steven, have you been on Consummation Peak? Was just looking at areas I want to explore next year & figured I never went to Morning Glory/Linda/Cathedral Lakes. Looks like Consummation might be a scramble from Duchesnay Pass?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page