Writer Researching: And Planning THE Trip! - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2013, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Default Writer Researching: And Planning THE Trip!

Thanks to medical mix-ups, it's taken a bit, but I've finally gotten my June labs for the cancer back. NEGATIVE. So, I've hit the five year mark on the cancer and am now considered cancer-free.

This means I can start planning the trip I promised myself five years ago, promised myself that when I beat the Big C, I would return to the Canadian Rockies and celebrate!

I haven't figured out what we want to do or where we want to go. I do know that my husband, the train buff, would like to ride the Rocky Mountaineer through the Spiral Tunnels. Being a tunnel fan, I'm not averse to that!

I have a bunch of physical limitations so I won't be able to do what I'd like to do, and that's take about two months and disappear into the back country, emerging only to re-supply!

Much depends on the Hounds. Mr. Shadow Longhair Dachshund is now 15.5 years old and doing quite well, but if he's still with us next summer, we'll have to postpone things. He wouldn't handle being boarded and I wouldn't enjoy the trip as much worrying about him. Young Master Harper (no relation to a Certain Politician -- this Longhaired Dachshund is named for Anne McCaffrey's Pern series) may still be showing -- I really shouldn't let someone talk me into taking on a show dog! And Babette the Foundling Beagle may be working on Obedience or Rally. (I wasn't planning on a Beagle either, but what do you do when a seven month old pup turns up on your doorstep on a cold November night, abandoned and hungry?)

In any case, I can now decide which of my books on the Rockies I want to re-read, what new material I may want to get, and what to do when I actually get there again!

I am SO looking forward to this!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2013, 03:50 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: hiking, backpacking, scrambling, climbing

Congratulations! Based on all you've read, I imagine you already have your itinerary half-planned.
The 2 big ones I'd suggest are spending time in Waterton, where you can see much of the awesomeness via very short walks, and driving the Icefields Parkway, where even the view from a car is spectacular.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2013, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

We did do the Icefields Parkway when we were up there in summer of 2004, but it's definitely something to do again. I think you could do that dozens of times and still encounter something different each time.

We haven't yet done Waterton, and I admit that has looked very worthwhile from some of the trip reports I've read here.

Although it's one of the standard "tourist" places, we're also interested in the Lake Louise and Skoki areas. We missed Lake O'Hara the last time around because we learned to late about getting a reservation on the bus.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2013, 05:04 PM
Super Moderator

Lake O'Hara, Lake Louise, and Skoki are all well worth it. Skoki does have the trouble of a long access, but Lake O'Hara has some shortish options.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2013, 05:31 PM
High on the Mountain Top

What a triumph for you. very cool and very inspiring. When will you be making the trip?

We spend a week every september in the Canadian Rockies and Purcells. After working in two dozen different countries and travelling in many more, i have found no more beautiful place on earth.

Two books we've found useful are:

"Don't Waste Your Time In The Canadian Rockies" Kathy + Craig Copeland
"Hikes Around Invermere" Matt Gunn (a BC hiking/scrambling legend of sorts)

Both have excellent descriptions of numerous destinations ranging from easy to extreme, short and long, close to towns and far away. You have countless choices.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2013, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

There have been a number of scary times the last five years, and each time, I've sustained myself by thinking of the mountains.

Thanks for the suggestion of a book on great areas in BC. I have Don't Waste Your Time in the Canadian Rockies. I've sort of focused on Alberta, but have some pen-friends in Kelowna.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2013, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Rachelo

Lake O'Hara, Lake Louise, and Skoki are all well worth it. Skoki does have the trouble of a long access, but Lake O'Hara has some shortish options.
Yeah, I'd gathered from some of the trip reports and browsing a few web sites that Skoki has rather a long slog to get there, but is worth it once you do. Will just have to see what I can do with the limitations by next year.

Everything I've read about Lake O'Hara makes it sound eminently worth getting back in there.

Lake Louise, of course, is over-run with all the other people like me who can't do the back country, but it doesn't make it any less beautiful.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2013, 10:16 PM
Super Moderator

Well, if you end up with any questions about relative difficulties, or trying to figure out what you'll be able to do, I'm happy to help. It's definitely awesome news.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2013, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Rachelo

Well, if you end up with any questions about relative difficulties, or trying to figure out what you'll be able to do, I'm happy to help. It's definitely awesome news.
Thanks -- can't tell you how GOOD it feels to reach this marker. "You have cancer" has to be one of the scariest things a person can ever hear.

One doc said I'd need a knee replacement in six months... I'm hoping to make a liar out of him and be able to do more than any of them think I can.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page