A disaster waiting to happen - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2013, 07:39 AM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Default A disaster waiting to happen

There is a meet up group called "Calgary Outdoor Nuts." At first I thought the name was funny, but I've been following their trip postings and now it makes me cringe. With these guys, there doesn't seem to be any thought given to safety precautions and consideration of environment or other hikers.

My biggest concern is their group size. They have no max limits. This weekend they're doing Tower of Babel with 17 people. Someone on the waiting list asked if it's okay to organize a second unofficial group and the coordinator responded:

"Sure, people on the waiting list are welcome to show up and come along with us. The limit is mostly there because I don't know how many drivers are going to sign up but it looks like we have plenty."

They have another trip scheduled on Sunday, taking 14 up Mount Edith. I'm sure they'd take 50 if they could.

Neither trip has any mention of helmets - but they put extreme emphasis on not wearing cotton!

I commented once on their group size for The Wedge and the issue of rockfall on the ramp. I got banned from the group.

This seems like a disaster just waiting to happen.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2013, 08:48 AM
Headed for the Mountains

"Im gonna slay that mountain like a roofied girl at a college mixer"

They seem like a classy bunch too.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2013, 09:33 AM
High on the Mountain Top

First random click just to get the flavour of the group and it mentions you Marko!
http://www.meetup.com/Calgary-Gen-Y-...hread/37635732

I find it useful (although I often forget to check) to know where larger groups are going both for current conditions after and to avoid day of. There is just an unavoidable dynamic with larger groups, even well mannered and well intentioned ones, that tends to take away from the experience I'm usually after. These kinds of groups are inevitably going to form, 14 for a scramble? Way to many IMHO but what do I know!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2013, 09:48 AM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Clayton, yeah, I started following some of these meet up groups to get an idea of trail conditions. Now I also look for places to avoid. Geez, I can't imagine that Tower of Babel gully with 17+ people in it. I think a majority of these folks are fairly inexperienced, which just adds to the chance of rock fall. Hopefully they wont injure each other or others coming up that gully..
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2013, 11:42 AM
Headed for the Mountains

I like how "Members in this meetup are also part of..."

... the Calgary motorcycle riders club.

Not to be totally judgmental, but aren't motorcycle enthusiasts usually found chain smoking outside a 50s diner, and not trying to do a scramble with 17 people? Hmm...
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2013, 12:08 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Climbing

Depends, Don Serl races motorbikes on the track...and we ride them to go climbing...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/blancat...57603736644844

We dont smoke or roofie our women...but then again isnt everyone from Calgary coke head cowboy oil barons?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2013, 12:27 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

Quote:
quote:..but then again isnt everyone from Calgary coke head cowboy oil barons?
Or waist deep in runoff
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2013, 12:48 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: playing guitar,drums fly-fishing,hiking,scrambling,mountaineering

truth is..all these guys are top alpinists in disguise.

they know what they are doing
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2013, 01:21 PM
High on the Mountain Top

I've heard lots of crazy stuff about CONS from some former members. They are "outdoor nuts" as they claim to be: scrambling or skiing drunk, leaving people behind, leaving garbage behind or just taking dump right on the trail.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2013, 02:14 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Meh. Everyone's different I guess. They sound like a young, energetic and CRAZY group (doesn't everyone under 40 always want to sound CRAZY!?). I've never heard them getting into trouble yet - lots of experienced folks still get hurt or killed each year so I'll just let them have their fun and hope I don't run into them while I'm trying to enjoy some peace and quiet in the backcountry... [|)]
post #11 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2013, 02:16 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: fishing, downhill/x-country skiing,hiking/backpacking, canoeing, snowshoing

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Engor

I've heard lots of crazy stuff about CONS from some former members. They are "outdoor nuts" as they claim to be: scrambling or skiing drunk, leaving people behind, leaving garbage behind or just taking dump right on the trail.
Ah, the classy folks huh,lol?
post #12 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2013, 10:37 PM
Scaling New Heights

Blah I don't like the amateur run clubs like that. Sometimes the leaders have very little real leadership experience, and only moderate mountaineer experience, and that is not good if weather goes bad or the group goes off route. I don't want to open the can of worms that is the amateur group debate though, so I will stop now.
post #13 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2013, 11:27 PM
Summit Master

That's not even amateur club, just simple meetup; perhaps started by few guys expelled from COC, as backlash to safety rules (happened before). Likely outcome is -unfortunate- accident somewhere, and whole thing will dissolve on its own after that. Life fast, die young.

They are probably having a good laugh reading this though :=)

post #14 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2013, 10:34 AM
Scaling New Heights

As the decades have gone by you can no longer simply hike. Now you have to blow down the trail on a bike. Or run for time. Or travel in a big, safe, blabbing expert group. The latest, I've heard people playing music out loud on the trail.

Did I mention the clown suit? Everyone has to be in uniform on the trail now, esp. the bikers.
post #15 of (permalink) Old 09-30-2013, 12:27 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Engor

I wasn't going to respond but wow are we just making up rumors now? Lemme guess, hearing rumors from former members who clearly did not like the group's objectives?

Yes there is a lot of drinking/eating and consequently hangover hikes on the morning after.
Yes there are no draconian requirements on helmets (except for caving)
Yes there are no strict rules about sticking in one complete group.

No there has never been garbage left behind anywhere except by accident. We have however improved firepits/benches, built grey water pits, and lots of members volunteered for the flood clean ups in the city and K country.

Taking a dump (really???)

On leaving people behind - (On major trail splits, someone will always wait.) On easier hikes, organizers sometimes wait to a fault. On harder/hike scrambles the description is clear on what is expected and what happens if you can not keep up. On severe conditions people have turned back in groups. And no there is no tour guiding hikes here.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Marko

There is a meet up group called "Calgary Outdoor Nuts." At first I thought the name was funny, but I've been following their trip postings and now it makes me cringe. With these guys, there doesn't seem to be any thought given to safety precautions and consideration of environment or other hikers.

My biggest concern is their group size. They have no max limits. This weekend they're doing Tower of Babel with 17 people. Someone on the waiting list asked if it's okay to organize a second unofficial group and the coordinator responded:

"Sure, people on the waiting list are welcome to show up and come along with us. The limit is mostly there because I don't know how many drivers are going to sign up but it looks like we have plenty."

They have another trip scheduled on Sunday, taking 14 up Mount Edith. I'm sure they'd take 50 if they could.

Neither trip has any mention of helmets - but they put extreme emphasis on not wearing cotton!

I commented once on their group size for The Wedge and the issue of rockfall on the ramp. I got banned from the group.

This seems like a disaster just waiting to happen.
Did you mentioned about the part about sending judgmental messages and emails before meeting people in person? Contrary to what you "assume" most core members are experienced hikers and climbers. While there are a few newer people on each trip, most of them are in better physical condition than the average hiking group.

I can "assume" you are just looking to complain because we don't fit your mold of what hikers are. But I've heard assuming things make me into you know what. Yes the group is not typical, but with >300 meetups ranging from hiking/climbing/caving/biking/offroading/snowboarding/snow shoeing, not to mention trips to North Coast/West Coast/Chilkoot trails in the past year, people are still having fun and getting out there. We don't care you do out there, maybe you should have the courtesy of doing the same without rumor mongering.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page