Hikes that get you close to icefields or glaciers? - Page 2 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2013, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Engor

That must be a very unique book for $835. My guess is it's either blessed by the Roman Pope or signed by Oprah

You can find it for close to $20.00 in MEC and I assume in some other outdoor stores (Atmosphere, Campus Village). Actually, I don't think you need the book just for these two trails. You can get the area map with the trail description in Roger's Pass Visitor Centre.

Ice-axe or better yet microspikes can come handy if there is remaining snow on the trail. Once the snow is gone (perhaps late July, ask at the visitor centre) you won't need them. Hope it helps.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by qwimjim
Glacier Crest seems pretty straightforward, Perley Rock seems like a difficult hike? In the trip reports I've seen mention of bring an ice axe? Do you know where to buy Gotta Hike BC? I can't seem to find it anywhere except on Amazon for $835
I found an old Rogers Pass topo in my pile of maps so I'll skip the $835 book So late summer (if the snow is gone) Perley Rock is a straightforward hike, just tiring? It looks fantastic so if it's a nice trail, good footing, no boulder hopping or scrambling (seeing as how i'll have an infant strapped to my chest) i'd love to check it out. Thanks for all the advice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2013, 08:20 PM
Summit Master

Interest: hiking,swimming,anything on the water or outside.Try almost anything once

Go see Chasing Ice,then you can watch them melt
post #18 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2013, 09:06 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Sask Glacier to Castleguard Meadows can be tricky in summer condition. There're some big holes near the edge. The safest way is to stay in the middle. The view won't change much though unless you gain the Icefield. However, it will never comes to dry condition that high up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2013, 11:32 PM
Headed for the Mountains

A little out of your way - at least the area you're talking about, but you could look a little further west to the Purcells as well. Delphine Creek to Delphine Glacier might be ok, Lake of the Hanging Glacier is a great one. The trail is good although the bridge was out last year and you can scramble the shoreline to the glacier and if you're lucky there may be icebergs in the lake. Maybe the best one for getting close to glaciers and some awesome views is to go the Bugaboos. There is one ladder but the trail is straightforward to the Kain Hut or the campground at Applebee Dome.

When I read your other post, my first reaction was that you were asking for alot. Assiniboine, Robson, Lake Louise and Lake O'Hara are highlights of highlights in the Rockies. There have been some great suggestions already and in the end no matter where you go you will be in a fantastic place and sharing it with your child.
post #20 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2013, 06:58 AM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Kootenay Kid

A little out of your way - at least the area you're talking about, but you could look a little further west to the Purcells as well. Delphine Creek to Delphine Glacier might be ok, Lake of the Hanging Glacier is a great one. The trail is good although the bridge was out last year and you can scramble the shoreline to the glacier and if you're lucky there may be icebergs in the lake. Maybe the best one for getting close to glaciers and some awesome views is to go the Bugaboos. There is one ladder but the trail is straightforward to the Kain Hut or the campground at Applebee Dome.

When I read your other post, my first reaction was that you were asking for alot. Assiniboine, Robson, Lake Louise and Lake O'Hara are highlights of highlights in the Rockies. There have been some great suggestions already and in the end no matter where you go you will be in a fantastic place and sharing it with your child.
Conrad Kain! That was on our list last year but we didn't have time to squeeze it in, I forgot all about it. That looks like an incredible area. From what I've read it's about a 5km/700m one way trip.. but this trail description makes me wonder if it isn't a bit much to do carrying an infant?

"Rather than continuing up the avalanche path, the trail climbs some rock slabs. The good news is you get some artificial help. Look for steps cut out of the rock, steps made out of concrete, and a wire cable that supplies a handhold in some spots. This sets the stage for the weirdest bit... an aluminum ladder that scales a 8 meter high rock wall. Then there is more of the rock steps and wire cable before the trail returns to the more usual rock and dirt path. There is one creek crossing on a rickety wooden bridge before the final push to the hut."

Lake of Hanging Glacier/Glacier Dome also looks incredible, if we decide to do an overnight that's definitely top of my list. Thank you for the great suggestions everyone
post #21 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2013, 10:00 PM
Summit Master

Like having the AB guys on this board, always full of of good info, and great pics too.
post #22 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2013, 10:44 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: hiking, backpacking, scrambling, climbing

As I'd mentioned a while back, if you can do light scrambling, you open up a lot more opportunities to get above glaciers and icefields.

But there's not a lot of overlap between those trips and 'trips you want to do with a baby strapped to your chest'.

(Based on the info you gave. I don't claim to decide what people in general can or can't do with a baby.)
post #23 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2013, 10:22 AM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Little update/report, if anyone else is looking for great views of glaciers: Perley Rock in Glacier National Park is phenomenal, beautiful blue lake at the foot of the glacier, fantastic view of the Neve. Hiking to the top of the onion from Bow Hut gives you a sweeping view of the Wapta Icefield, only takes about 45 minutes to get up from Bow Hut. And you can look down to Iceberg Lake, leave early so you have lots of time to putter around up there, it's a nice spot. If you're just hiking it's pretty pointless to stop at the hut.. Bugaboos? Again, fantastic, beautiful hike, beautiful hut, beautiful spires. And again as mentioned before Snowbird Pass from Berg Lake is a hike everyone should do once.

Thanks for all the tips!
post #24 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2013, 10:34 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by qwimjim

hey, after spending a couple of weeks hiking around banff and jasper and having been up snowbird pass via berg lake i realized i really enjoy glaciers up close. we hiked parker ridge and got a view of saskatchewan glacier and got a view of athabasca from wilcox pass.. and that was ok but paled compared to the experience on mount robson.

we just hiked up Lake Of The Hanging Glacier, near Radium Hot springs ... superb

https://www.clubtread.com/sforum/topi...TOPIC_ID=57985

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page