Rockwall with kids? - Page 2 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of (permalink) Old 02-10-2013, 06:53 AM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, skiing, camping, SAR, Canadian Rangers (army reserve)

Ah, now I remember..

I've just about fallen down this rabbit hole before..

But again I'm thinking, for the amount of hiking we do (we get in maybe 1-2 multi-day hikes a year.. 5-6 car camping trips), the convenience of the tried and tested MRE's (the Mountain House spaghetti with meat sauce is the reigning favourite) makes them pretty appealing..

That being said I've bookmarked a bunch of sites.. Again...

And that's a good idea, poking a hole and crushing the contents down more! For some ridiculous reason I shied away from crumpling down the freeze-dried noodles, etc inside.. LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of (permalink) Old 02-10-2013, 09:15 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: fishing, downhill/x-country skiing,hiking/backpacking, canoeing, snowshoing

I only get a couple multi day trips myself but then I have tried the store bought meals and decided my cooking was better,lol.
This winter I have dehydrated bison, elk and beef and will use it with Liptons noodles and sauce for most of my meals. I make a sea food chowder that is sooo tasty as well and it re-hydrates nicely. Liptons or Knorr make a three cheese spaghetti or three cheese noodles that is very tasty as well.
After I dehydrate the meat, I use my vacuum sealer to get rid of excess air in the packages.

Before leaving Mackenzie, I was not too focused on space and weight, but once Packrat and I hiked together a few times I picked up on a bunch of good ideas to reduce how much weight and amount of stuff I now carry with me in the back country. A smaller pack and less stuff I never use or eat has really helped me as far as pack weight and the daily slog to the next campsite.
post #18 of (permalink) Old 02-10-2013, 09:25 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: fishing, downhill/x-country skiing,hiking/backpacking, canoeing, snowshoing

Oh ya Doug I was gonna suggest a car camping trip you could take the family on. Have you been over to the Tumbler Ridge area at all? If you go,I would suggest going to the campground at Kinuseo Falls. There is a day hike right out of the campground that will take you the better part of the day to complete. Here is a trip report I did when I went there.

https://www.clubtread.com/sforum/topi...TOPIC_ID=16333

Another day trip you can do closer to home is at Canty Lake. Some buddies from Mac Town told me of a cave up there that sounded pretty intriguing as well. Not sure how to reach the cave though as I never made it back up there before moving.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of (permalink) Old 02-10-2013, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Haha yes, I did the Monkman Lake hike last summer as well with a friend (linear, 56km or so round trip). We hiked right to the lake the first day, then on the way back we checked out the falls of the Cascades and camped on the river 7km from the Monkman Park campground, then the next day we made it all the way back, and checked out Kinuseo Falls on the way home.

Kinuseo Falls and the camp on the river (7km out from park campground) would make for good day trips with the kids, for sure. We're hoping to do that this year, as well as Bergeron Falls.

It sure helps when you have experienced hikers to mentor you, so I'm envious.. I haven't met up with anybody like that around here, though I keep saying I'm going to go on a hike with the Caledonia Ramblers out of PG one of these days..

We should get together!

I tried packing stuff in a smaller pack (an Arteryx 50L), but it never worked for me. The pack wasn't as comfortable (stingier on shoulder and hip strap padding), and it was a huge hassle getting anything out of it, narrow and stuffed to bursting as it was.. So I'm stuck with my old Lowe Alpine 65L for now.. I've cut down on alot of heavy crap that I'll never use, though (hatchet, multi-tool, etc), but then I've added other stuff (Steripen, GPS, collapsable saw, FA kit), so..
post #20 of (permalink) Old 02-10-2013, 12:10 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: hiking, backpacking, scrambling, climbing

Especially for a family group, making meals you can cook together in a pot will likely be lighter and smaller than carrying individual MREs for each person.
Start with chili. It's nearly foolproof. Use whatever chili recipe you like at home, and just cut your vegetables and meat into fairly small pieces.
Then take your finished chili, lay it out in a thin layer on a piece of parchment paper on a baking tray, put it in the oven on your oven's lowest setting, and leave the door cracked.
check on it after an hour, and then another hour. When it starts to look dry-ish, start checking it more frequently. When the part you can see looks very dry, use a flipper to flip it all over and expose the other side. Keep going until it's dry too, then mix it up, break into bits, and dry until everything seems dry.
To rehydrate, boil water, put into chili. Let it sit for 10min to soak, then simmer a few minutes until it tastes done.
One pot, super simple, cooks for a bunch of people. Packs very small.
post #21 of (permalink) Old 02-10-2013, 12:21 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Do you use compression sacks? If not, you really should. I use one for my clothes and one for my sleeping bag and it helps save space.
I am lucky in that I only have my self to pack for. I bought a Six Moon Designs tent last year that is just under 1 1/2 lbs. so that helps a bunch on the weight and space side of things.

You pack a folding saw? Why? most anything in the bush can be broken down to fire use size by hand or by wedging between two close trees and breaking it that way.

You should hook up with the Ramblers as they do lots of day trips and even make it up your way each summer for a trip up Murray Range.

I haven't any plans this summer that would bring me up that way, well except at Kakwa/Jarvis Lakes hike some folks and I are planning now, but if I am heading back up your way I will definatly let you know.
post #22 of (permalink) Old 02-10-2013, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

We're getting off topic, but thanks Rachelo!

Not a big fan of chili, but could do the same with a good meat sauce for pasta or rice..

I think 4000 cals per person is going to be tough, unless I pack lots of nuts and chocolate (peanut M&M's are my favourite).. But I'll work at it.

Yes, I use compression sacks.. MSR ones that work really well.

I have to admit I haven't used the folding saw ever, so it could go, but it's one of those things that is so relatively light and potentially useful that I keep packing it.. LOL

http://www.upgradeinnovations.com/pack.php

But yeah, it's a slippery slope..

If I'm going to be in your area, too, I'll let you know (besides Rockwall).
post #23 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2013, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

I'm thinking we'd overnight in Banff or Radium Hotsprings in a hotel, just so we don't have alot of packing up, etc. to do in the morning, and we can just get up and go..

But just for argument's sake, are there any closer campgrounds by the trail head (besides the Floe Lake one, of course LOL)?
post #24 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2013, 04:46 PM
Headed for the Mountains

There is the Marble Canyon campground in KNP which is really close to the trailheads, Redstreak is right outside of Radium, there is accomodation at Castle Junction which is closer than Banff or Lake Louise so you do have options. Oh and Kootenay Park Lodge at Vermillion Crossing or Storm Mountain Lodge.
post #25 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2013, 05:29 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: hiking, backpacking, scrambling, climbing

I stayed at the Marble Canyon campground the night before starting the trail, and it's very nice.
That said, I was frustrated by the way people got into camping mode and took a long time packing up and making breakfast in the morning, which made us start on the trail later than we probably would have if we'd just come from Calgary int he morning.

So there's a good campground right at the trailhead, but there are also decent arguments for your original hotel idea.
post #26 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2013, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:I was frustrated by the way people got into camping mode and took a long time packing up and making breakfast in the morning, which made us start on the trail later than we probably would have if we'd just come from Calgary int he morning
Yes, that's what I'd like to avoid, and my wife would appreciate a good shower and sleep after a day on the road, and it will make her more accepting of the trial ahead..

But I'll keep the Marble Canyon campground in mind, and see where we're at by the time we get there.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page