Six Pass Route ski trip - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Location: Finally stopping that crazy suffering that is ice, climbing to concentrate on great ski tours!, .
Interest: Anything that can drag me to the mountains. Backpacking is #1, followed by climbing, dayhiking and camping with family.
Default Six Pass Route ski trip

I know Sandy's done it, but I can't find a trip report. Any good beta on this Jasper Classic?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Location: Finally stopping that crazy suffering that is ice, climbing to concentrate on great ski tours!, .
Interest: Anything that can drag me to the mountains. Backpacking is #1, followed by climbing, dayhiking and camping with family.

edit: found Sandy's TR. Anyone like to add info?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 02:16 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 02:45 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: adventure racing, hiking, backpacking, climbing/bouldering, mountain biking, falling over as i learn to downhill and cross-country ski, photography

Eric's trip report goes up Trapper Creek it seems. I think it's nicer to go over Bald Hills (I think this is the route described in chic scott). The first day was one of my favourite on the trip in terms of scenery.

The one thing I would say is with sensible route finding you can do the tour in high avalanche danger pretty safely. There is only one steep slope you have to ski (the last pass) and you can avoid this completely with a boot pack deviation on scree if avi danger is high. You really aren't exposed to any run outs either if you're careful.

I recommend not doing it during a period of 4 days of heavy snow and wind (like I did). It would have been nicer to see where we were going!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 02:49 PM
High on the Mountain Top

You may want to do it this year as they are seriously talking about closing down the Maligne road next winter. Whether it happens or not will remain to be seen.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by lobo

You may want to do it this year as they are seriously talking about closing down the Maligne road next winter. Whether it happens or not will remain to be seen.
This is EXACTLY why we're strongly considering this year, despite the lousy snow in Jasper. I skied into Snowbowl and back yesterday, and have some p-tex repairs to make.

Word around Jasper is that it's very likely the last year the road is open. Maybe you've heard otherwise? Looks like the end of the line for Shangri La too. A real shame. Probably one of the most historic structures in JNP...
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 03:13 PM
High on the Mountain Top

I think that the Maligne Road road will be closed next year. I think that they'll close it at Maligne Canyon and it will be illegal to ski or snowshoe on the road, just like the Cavell road. But they have been talking about closing it for years because of the high cost of keeping it open. But if Brewsters wants it open, then it'll stay open.

John, on a side note, did you ever buy that Fenix watch? If so, is it any good?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Brewsters has no winter operation at Maligne Lake, so I doubt they'll ask for the road to be open. Yeah, folks I talked to this week said that skiing up the road will be banned, Shangri La permanently close or removed, and even the idea of trying to keep people from using Skyline Trail in winter to access the Maligne Lake area. Given that access to Maligne Lake will mean close to 100km of skiing (have to exit either back via Skyline or out Poboktan Creek) I don't see hordes of people up there.

I wonder if the old Hardisty Creek access might find some users? It was how the Six Pass was accessed from the Parkway before the Maligne Lake Road was built.

Given these events, I'm maximizing m JNP skiing this winter. Booked into Shanrgi La in February, probably Six Pass in March, and perhaps a Skyline ski as well. (The Skyline is last on my list, as I've done it previously)
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Yes, had the fenix since September. Like it. Almost too many features! There have been lots of teething problems, but I haven't experienced any. The last software update was very good, adding some nice features.

The only real drawback is the rechargeable battery. I get that I'd have put a fortune in batteries in the thing, but multi-day trip use is compromised. That said, it takes very little juice to charge it, and a little external battery pack means a week in the backcountry is not too difficult as long as you don't run it down completely every day.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 03:53 PM
Headed for the Mountains

"You may want to do it this year as they are seriously talking about closing down the Maligne road next winter. Whether it happens or not will remain to be seen."

This Mr. Harper guy sure is really starting to piss me off!!!
post #11 of (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 03:58 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: playing guitar,drums fly-fishing,hiking,scrambling,mountaineering

thanks for the info lobo

i was thinking of doing the six pass route, as well as a ski ascent of mt.charlton and unwin this spring and it sounds like i should do just that and not leave it for another season.
post #12 of (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 05:53 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Wow man.

Good thing I've done both Bald Hills and Opal Peak in winter... Now I have to do Sunset Peak, and hopefully do the south section of Skyline Traverse on skis, namely Antler Ridge and Curator Mountain... And then, Charlton and Unwin..
post #13 of (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 06:58 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Why would it be illegal to ski the road?

Aside from avy risk I suppose, but once they close a road isn't it considered backcountry therefore the responsibility lies with the user for risk mitigation right? For context Hwy 40 closes and people bike/ski/whatever up it until it reopens. Same with many other roads into Kananaskis.

(sorry for the drift John, good luck with your trip!)
post #14 of (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Caribou protection is different. They close the Edith Cavell access road in the winter, and it is trespassing if you travel up it. This would be true (evidently) of the Maligne Lake road as well.
post #15 of (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 11:50 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by johngenx

Caribou protection is different. They close the Edith Cavell access road in the winter, and it is trespassing if you travel up it. This would be true (evidently) of the Maligne Lake road as well.
I get the caribou protection in some ways but I have always found it interesting how Parks allows snowmobiles into the Tonquin Valley for those lodges. Maybe I am missing some facts but I see this is a bit of a double standard.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page