Ice Climbing Course - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Default Ice Climbing Course

I wanted to see if anyone has had any experience with Yamnuska Mountain Adventures in Canmore. We are looking into taking their Ice Evolution course but want to see if anyone has had any personal experience with the company. From some reviews online there seems to be all positive feedback.

In regards to staying in Canmore, do any locals around the area have any recommendations of budget accommodation in town.

Also, it will be late February that we will be booking the course for so wanted to know what the road conditions will be like at that time, as we will be driving from Squamish. Obviously it is weather dependent, but we really just want to determine if it is worth the effort to drive or if we should find another mode of transportation to get there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 01:24 PM
Summit Master

Depends how budget you want to be; probably cheapest option is HI under Grotto Mountain:

http://www.hihostels.com/dba/hostels...-011041.en.htm

There is also Hostel Bear near downtown http://www.thehostelbear.com/findus.htm, but this is more like a hotel and considerably more expensive.

There are also many "lodges" (condo complexes managed like hotels). This is high-end option, but if 2 of you would want private "come home feel" this would be way to go. Way better than standard hotels/motels. One place to check would be Lodges at Canmore.

I have no personal experience with Yamnuska school, but like you I heard only good things. Roads are question mark, but given no recent snow storm I'd drive. Crux is often Golden-Lake Louise part (if you go Trans-Canada).
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 01:38 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Climbing

Hostel bear is about the same price as the HI hostels unless you have a HI membership, I would highly recommend the hostel bear.

I think once you pay for 2 ppl you get really close to the Ramada prices, but you lose the kitchen which is awesome at HB

Roads...I have driven it in 6 hours and climbed in Golden the same day, once I spent 4 days bowling in Revelstoke when they closed the roads...you never know till you are there, you can always drive via Jasper.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 01:48 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

The ACC Clubhouse is about the cheapest accomodation in town. About $25 a night if you are a member, full of climbers, big room to dry gear.

http://www.alpineclubofcanada.ca/fac...househome.html
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 03:18 PM
Off the Beaten Path

I have no experience with Yamnuska, but I've heard good things about them from other mountaineers I know.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 03:24 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Is eating sushi a hobby?

I've taken a few courses with Yamnuska over the last 10+ years and they're pretty good. They're well established and use ACMG guides as all of their instructors.

Personally, I'd cut out the middle man and hire one of the many ACMG guides in Canmore directly but I suppose a school will help out in terms of logistics. Especially if you don't have your personal equipment.

As for places to stay, since you have your own vehicle, the ACC clubhouse would be a good place to stay. It's also around the corner from La Belle Patate. []
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 03:24 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Mr. Barry Blanchard is an "Associate Director" of Yamnuska. . . which should say something about their good reputation.

One more vote for the Alpine Club in Canmore. There is an option for "private rooms" at the clubhouse also.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 05:58 PM
Banned

I took a 6 day course with Yam 3yrs ago. Was good. ACC Lodge, as others have said, is pretty nice- worth staying at least one night.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 05:58 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: hiking, backpacking, scrambling, climbing

Yamnuska is excellent. The Canmore ACC is excellent (and full of fun, like-minded people).
The roads range anywhere from excellent to horrific, and we can't give you an accurate estimate until an hour beforehand.
Plenty of people drive the route regularly. I would go ahead and take my chances driving.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2013, 08:33 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Borrowing or lending?

I took the ice evolution course several years ago. My experience wasn't the best. My background was that I'd been rock climbing for 10+ years before going so I had plenty of rope handling skills and a pretty good base of climbing strength/technique. One of the problems with a group setting is you can only climb as hard as the weakest participant. One person was an absolute beginner who didn't know how to belay at the start. We spent too much time on basic climbing stuff and climbs that were too easy. Our guide didn't want to set up any climbs that would challenge the better climbers instead he focused all his attention on the 2 weakest climbers. (i think they fed his giant "guide ego"). *I didn't find much "evolution" in the coarse - if you just want to learn the basics the coarse covers all of it very well but if you are experienced you won't get much out of it.*
post #11 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2013, 09:18 AM
Headed for the Mountains

I've taken two courses with Yamnuska (my AST1 and a mountaineering course) and have had nothing but excellent experiences. Sure, the experience will vary with the guide you get (I lucked out and got Barry for both of my courses) and yeah, they'll tailor things to the weakest participants as is the usual thing for group-based training. One thing though: if you're depending on them for gear I would at least try to provide your own boots. It's going to be hit or miss any time you're renting/borrowing boots, and I definitely recall seeing some miserable/suffering faces atop Mt. Athabasca.

I've stayed at both hostels mentioned here and my preference is for the ACC Clubhouse (Hi-Hostel). It can sometimes get overrun by one of the highly obnoxious youth groups that frequent the place, but it's a nice and really cheap. It also doesn't have a lot of capacity and is used for weddings and other events, so you can't always get in there.

Bear Hostel is also a nice place, and seems to have been a hotel that was converted into a hostel as everything there has a higher-end (than it needs to be) feel to it. The cost difference is only about $12 a night, which isn't a huge deal (still cheaper than HI-Hostel in Lake Louise). The downsides for the hostel is the most humourless and lengthy rules briefing I've ever received at a check-in, bathrooms without soap or any means to dry your hands (seriously!), and it's right next to the railway. If you can't sleep through a freight train in the middle of the night, expect to wake up a few times.
post #12 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2013, 11:04 AM
Headed for the Mountains

If you are looking to save some money, I would totally recommend going through the U of C Outdoor Centre with their Ice Climbing courses.
Much cheaper than Yamnuska, you save a bit on gear and the U hires through the ACMG, so you're not losing out on any expertise. It does depend on the group for sure, but the few times I went, the groups were small, giving me about 5-6 climbing hours in a day, not bad.
post #13 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2013, 04:13 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: hiking, backpacking, scrambling, climbing

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by wildtrekker

Much cheaper than Yamnuska, you save a bit on gear and the U hires through the ACMG, so you're not losing out on any expertise.
You can't get a permit for ice climbing without the appropriate ACMG certs on your guides, so any outfit usually has comparable certification levels.
Of course, there's a lot more to competence than certification. But a lot of guides work for multiple different companies, so you're often getting an overlapping group of guides at each company offering trips.
Last I'd seen, many prices were comparable, but I suppose it depends on the different courses.
post #14 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2013, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Thanks everyone for the great feedback, much appreciated!
post #15 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2013, 11:48 AM
Headed for the Mountains

I just took their Ice Evolution course back the end of November. It was amazing! Great course, really well organized and excellent guides. There's a lot of flexibility to they can adjust to current conditions and the experience/abilities of the clients. I've done courses with Mountain Madness (mountaineering) and Canada West Mountain School (AST & rock climbing courses) and I'd say Yamnuska was probably the best.

I stayed at the Hostel Bear in Canmore. It's really close to everything and the value for your money was great. It's wear everyone from Yamnuska stays when they're doing the 3 month long mountain skills semester.

Feel free to send me a PM if you want anymore recent insight.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page