ClubTread Community

ClubTread Community (https://forums.clubtread.com/)
-   Alberta Hiking (https://forums.clubtread.com/31-alberta-hiking/)
-   -   Mt. Assiniboine?? (https://forums.clubtread.com/31-alberta-hiking/43139-mt-assiniboine.html)

darrenbell 09-14-2012 04:59 AM

Mt. Assiniboine??

Hey folks, Packrat,Hiking Solo and myself are heading into Mt. Assiniboine for a few days and I was wondering if there are any "must do" day hikes we should concider? We only have 2 full days for day trips and we should make the most of it while we are there. Thanks for your thoughts.

mclay1234 09-14-2012 05:34 AM

I haven't been there, but I've repeatedly heard that Nub Peak is a must. Combine it with wandering around the core area and you've got a full day.

nmcan84 09-14-2012 06:48 AM

yes..nub is definitely a good one.

Hiking Solo 09-14-2012 07:04 AM

Man, I'm already NOT sleeping well because I'm so excited for this trip!

Oh, and by the way, I call "not it" on doing the trip report.

:D:D:D

no quitting 09-14-2012 07:45 AM

Hey you hoser,have a great time!!! And like I said,if there's no TR...............LOL!!!
Shawna,you cow,make sure to kick his ass for me!!! LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

I can't belive that guy!!!

nomsha 09-14-2012 07:49 AM

I was there three weeks ago. Depends on how long you're going to be there, as there's so much to do. We did Nub Peak, Mount Caultley, and Windy Ridge over the three days we spend camping at Lake Magog. After each of those we still had some time to wander around the core area.

Marko 09-14-2012 07:59 AM

I've only been in there once. My girlfriend and I flew from the Mt Shark parking lot. We figured this would give us additional time in the area and it did, it allowed us to squeeze in one more scramble. It was $160/person. It also allowed us to bring in extra food that we probably wouldn't have carried in and see the area from a birds-eye view.

Our itinerary was:
Day 1: Sunburst Peak - Moderate scramble
Day 2: Nub Peak - A hike really. Probably the best views of the area.
Day 3: Mount Cautley to Wonder Pass - We turned around on Wonder Peak because of a cornice
Day 4: Hike out via Assiniboine Pass - Wonder Pass was full of snow

Nub Peak is great and one that I would do over and over again.

Mount Cautley surprised me the most. The views were much better than I thought they would be. Mount Cautley itself is a hike. You could follow the extent of the ridge for a while, enjoying views of the area in all directions. To get up to Wonder Peak and down to Wonder Pass shouldn't be a problem at this time of year and would be a great way to loop back. The scrambling to Wonder Peak from Cautley would be moderate in difficulty.

ph0n3y 09-14-2012 08:08 AM

Head up Wonder Peak from the pass and do the ridge walk back around toward the core area.

lobo 09-14-2012 08:18 AM

I have no experience in that area, I just wanted to wish you guys a wonderful trip and I'd like to see a TR on your return

darrenbell 09-14-2012 08:38 AM

Quote:

quote:Originally posted by Hiking Solo

Man, I'm already NOT sleeping well because I'm so excited for this trip!

Oh, and by the way, I call "not it" on doing the trip report.

:D:D:D

Too late Shawna, once it was decided to paint you up once you go to sleep it was preordained that you would do the trip report as well,lol!!

Marko, we are planning to go in over Assiniboine Pass and exit over Wonder Pass and along Marvel Lake.

Thanks a bunch for the tips already folks.

Hiking Solo 09-14-2012 09:32 AM

Quote:

quote:Originally posted by no quitting

Hey you hoser,have a great time!!! And like I said,if there's no TR...............LOL!!!
Shawna,you cow,make sure to kick his ass for me!!! LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

I can't belive that guy!!!
Rotflamo!!! I'll be sure to keep Darren in line, Chris; that's what us crotchety old ladies enjoy doing, after all, hahahaha ;) :D

Quote:

quote:Originally posted by darrenbell

Too late Shawna, once it was decided to paint you up once you go to sleep it was preordained that you would do the trip report as well,lol!!

Not. It. [:p]

And like I said before: payback for whoever draws on my face will be both swift and painful, I can assure you of that, LoL :D

no quitting 09-14-2012 11:13 AM

Crochety!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sodbuster 09-14-2012 01:55 PM

My money is on <s>the girl</s> I mean Hiking Solo (had to clarify that to avoid confusion [}:)])

For sure the Nub, and roll out early for the alpenglo on 'Boine if you get clear skies. Don't forget the refreshments (coffee etc...)

darrenbell 09-14-2012 03:08 PM

Sodbuster, lol... dirty bugger!!! I'll give you "clarifacation",lol.

Shawna, Steve has picked out nice colors, don't get mean,lol.

no quitting 09-14-2012 05:27 PM

Whoever gets it,we want pictures!!!!! LOL!!