Mudslide 2km west of Banff - TransCan closed - Page 2 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 01:30 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

Nope. It actually initiated upslope, near Escargot Corner, from what I've been told. Nothing to do with the highway, Peter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 02:07 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Dru

Nope. It actually initiated upslope, near Escargot Corner, from what I've been told. Nothing to do with the highway, Peter.
When I looked the next morning as we drove through, I saw an open slope with nothing to hold it in place. I saw a whole section of that slope that had slid down off one side of the promontory that the highway goes around. The water flowing down through the loose shale and sediment, seemed to be what had washed away all the mud. The water I'm sure came from somewhere farther up, but some mud definitely came off the slope.

post #18 of (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Crappy timing Peter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of (permalink) Old 07-29-2012, 07:30 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: hiking, backpacking, scrambling, climbing

When I drove through the same next morning, it looked like a small channel that had simply funneled everything down with only a tiny loss of ground from the area directly beside the highway. Perhaps the appearance was open to interpretation?

A coworker who was stuck by both this slide and the last one and had a good look told me that the last one was in the same area but a different channel with a much bigger slide that kept destabilizing, with this one in a different small channel (hence the quick cleanup).
I haven't seen anything official comparing the two.
post #20 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2012, 08:34 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Rachelo

Perhaps the appearance was open to interpretation?
For sure. I got a quick look only as we drove through, and while there was definitely a section of the slope that had lost all its soil cover, there didn't seem to be enough gone to explain a 2-foot deep pile of mud covering such a large section.

When you drive by, it's pretty clear that the area directly above the highway at that point has nothing much to hold it in place. Farther up, there are trees and undergrowth, but immediately above it, there seems to be nothing but a bit of grass with the rocks poking through.
post #21 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2012, 10:13 AM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by peter1955
When you drive by, it's pretty clear that the area directly above the highway at that point has nothing much to hold it in place.
And when you look at an airplane in flight, there are no cables holding it up, so it's pretty clear that it's going to crash. Right?

post #22 of (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 03:39 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Dru

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by peter1955
When you drive by, it's pretty clear that the area directly above the highway at that point has nothing much to hold it in place.
And when you look at an airplane in flight, there are no cables holding it up, so it's pretty clear that it's going to crash. Right?
God, man, that's not even logical. What were you thinking? Trying to make a connection like that is kind of like saying "Take Kevin Bacon, for instance. He is an actor, so he can pretend to be anyone. His name is Bacon. He has been married since 1988. Clear correlation between bacon, changing yourself, and not being single."

So, in simpler terms:

(a) The original forested slope wasn't as steep, and the rocks and sediment were held in place by a blanket of vegetation and tree roots. The slope was stable at that time.
(b) When the highway was built, the road was notched into the side of the hill, creating a much steeper incline from the road bed up to the remnants of the original slope above it.
(c) That same steep incline has been devoid of the roots and the vegetation that was holding the rest of the slope in place, and
(d) Because the water flow hasn't been restricted or diffused by the vegetation, it has been able to consolidate into paths where the flow is stronger than it was before, sweeping rocks and sediment down onto the roadway.
(e) That lack of stability also explains why the same area has been hit by mudslides before and can be expected to be hit by more in future.

These elements are what cause 'E R O S I O N'. Yes, it's a big word, but when you get into high school they'll teach you all about it. If you still don't understand, you'll have to study it on your own.

If you want, I can explain how airplanes fly, too.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page