post #16 of (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 09:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Rachelo

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by gyppo

Quote:

We don't have cities right in our mountains like Vancouver. The upside of that is that our mountains don't have cities in them.
B
We definitely do have tourist towns in our mountains, but no cities in the middle. It might mean that people are more spread out on a bigger area, but no couple mountains that have an army of hikers every day.
Squamish and Canmore seem pretty on par to me. Banff is a mess, but at least not expanding any more. Jasper's small enough that the town effect seems gone as soon as you leave the town.
The "our mountain your mountain" talk is lame. Besides, if BC had no cities in its mountains, it would have no cities at all. Except, perhaps, Vancouver, which is not in the "middle" of the mountains, but a coastal city surrounded by mountains, deltas, and water, in case you haven't noticed.

That being said, I have no advice about moving to cowtown.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Backpacking, camping, reading, traveling.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Marko

Toad - that may be the first time I've heard anyone say that Calgary transit is fantastic.

What was the difficulty in transition from coastal mountain trails to Rockies trails?

I haven't done a whole lot of hiking in coastal mountains, but have noticed some obvious differences. While the forests were much more spectacular on the coast, the tree line was also much higher. I do like those giant trees, but I love the early prolonged views in the Rockies.

I also find access to trails much easier here. I rarely come across a trail that needs a high clearance vehicle, and driving a Honda Fit this is pretty important for me. In BC it seems that old logging roads are commonly used to access good trails and my car took quite a beating in a few places.

While the days can be pretty sunny here in the Rockies, I found that our warm/mild season is much shorter. I'm often envious of continuous trip reports from people on this board while I hibernate. Though it really makes me appreciate summer when it finally gets here.

Stormwolf, if you're into scrambling, there are a ton of website resources for the surrounding area:

My personal two favorites are Bob Spirko's and So Nakagawa's, mainly because of their GPS track availability. Vern Dewit has excellent trip reports with lots of photos. Many of these are covered in the Alan Kane's Scrambles in the Canadian Rockies and Andrew Nugara's More Scrambles in the Canadian Rockies guide books.

Thanks for the information Marko. I should be in Calgary 10-12 days from now. If any Calgary based members want to meet up for a drink in the future, that would be great.

post #18 of (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 05:18 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: hiking, backpacking, scrambling, climbing

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Candy Sack

The "our mountain your mountain" talk is lame. Besides, if BC had no cities in its mountains, it would have no cities at all. Except, perhaps, Vancouver, which is not in the "middle" of the mountains, but a coastal city surrounded by mountains, deltas, and water, in case you haven't noticed.
It's the convenient way to refer to them. I have long claimed the Rockies as 'my' mountains. I'm willing to share, but only if you're nice to them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 11:20 AM
Headed for the Mountains

I've been in Calgary for several years and have come to have the opinion that you "work where you work" and "live where you live". If you don't have a car, then it makes sense to live close to where you work, or at least close to transit. But, I don't work downtown and transit outside of the core is abysmal so I don't think it really matters. I have a car, I drive it every day.

That said, I live in the south west (near Westhills). I have easy access to Highway 8 (Bragg Creek or north to Highway 1), which is fantastic because it gives us easy access to the northern and southern ends of Kananaskis. Canmore is about 45 minutes out, and we rarely ever go to Banff... because Canmore and Kananaskis is closer and it's much easier to avoid the crowds if you know where to go.
post #20 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 02:46 PM
Super Moderator

I think that if you don't work downtown, it's much less of an issue, since you aren't moving with the big rush of cars, and there is probably parking available at work. But for someone who works downtown, it seems to me much more logical to take 45min off of your commute downtown 5 days a week than to save 15min on your commute to the mountains 2 days a week.

I think Calgary is definitely a 'find a place to live with no consideration for where you work or where you can shop or anything' kind of city, but I think that's a big part of the problem with the city, and leads to the need to drive everywhere you go.
I also think that it is very avoidable.
post #21 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 06:31 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by gyppo

Quote:

We don't have cities right in our mountains like Vancouver. The upside of that is that our mountains don't have cities in them.
B
We definitely do have tourist towns in our mountains, but no cities in the middle. It might mean that people are more spread out on a bigger area, but no couple mountains that have an army of hikers every day.
Squamish and Canmore seem pretty on par to me. Banff is a mess, but at least not expanding any more. Jasper's small enough that the town effect seems gone as soon as you leave the town.
Quote:
The "our mountain your mountain" talk is lame.
This is really odd to me. Why does that phrase bother you? People of all race, gender, creed, use this expression all the time, whether referring to "their" cities, countries, mountains, parks, etc.

Quote:
Besides, if BC had no cities in its mountains, it would have no cities at all. Except, perhaps, Vancouver, which is not in the "middle" of the mountains, but a coastal city surrounded by mountains, deltas, and water, in case you haven't noticed.
This isn't true at all. Strange that you would attempt to make Vancouver the exception....instead of say...Victoria...Vernon...Osoyoos....Kamloops....e tc. I think if you investigate, you'll find that these qualify much less as "in the mountains".
post #22 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 11:56 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Calgary is a great city to live in, good luck with finding a place!

Cheers,

Dan
post #23 of (permalink) Old 03-15-2012, 07:26 AM
Banned

[quote]quote:Originally posted by DCIPHER

Quote:
quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Candy Sack
Besides, if BC had no cities in its mountains, it would have no cities at all. Except, perhaps, Vancouver, which is not in the "middle" of the mountains, but a coastal city surrounded by mountains, deltas, and water, in case you haven't noticed.
This isn't true at all. Strange that you would attempt to make Vancouver the exception....instead of say...Victoria...Vernon...Osoyoos....Kamloops....e tc. I think if you investigate, you'll find that these qualify much less as "in the mountains".
Thank you for adding Victoria as another example. But maybe YOU should investigate, Brainiac. The last time I was in the Okanagan or Kamloops there were mountains there. So they're gone now? Surprised nobody has posted about that!! It's the implication of ownership that I don't like. Thanks for asking. Please don't respond because I don't feel like having it out with you again.
post #24 of (permalink) Old 03-15-2012, 10:11 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Beer before hiking.

If your not uber concervative and accepted Jesus as your savior, Calgarys a lonely place.

Born in Calgary but not born again.
post #25 of (permalink) Old 03-15-2012, 12:02 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

Thank you for adding Victoria as another example. But maybe YOU should investigate, Brainiac. The last time I was in the Okanagan or Kamloops there were mountains there. So they're gone now? Surprised nobody has posted about that!! It's the implication of ownership that I don't like. Thanks for asking. Please don't respond because I don't feel like having it out with you again.
I've spent a fair amount of time in Kamloops and the Okanagan.
I think it's a matter of having different definitions of 'mountains'.

If you can't find any friends or anything to do in Calgary outside of Christianity, you're really really not trying. I don't think we have any more churches than normal, our mayor is a muslim, and I'd guess about 70% of my hiking buddies are in the span between 'don't much think about it' and 'atheist'.
While the general political bent is rightwards, if you're not a left-wing political crusader, you again shouldn't have any trouble hanging out with people unless you're looking in all the wrong places.
post #26 of (permalink) Old 03-15-2012, 12:50 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by stormwolf
I will bring my bike and try and ride to work although I am guessing it will be a bit more challenging in the winter with the cooler temperatures.
I ride my bike to work downtown all year long. The only time I curse is when we get those few weeks in the -25 to -30s, but an extra layer, balaclava, ski helmet and goggles do the trick when its that cold. Otherwise, great bike path system that usually gets plowed by 730 most mornings. Parking would cost me $3000/yr (after tax), which means I need to earn $5000 just to park!! That savings compensates for all the money I've spent on gear the last few years
post #27 of (permalink) Old 03-15-2012, 12:52 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by THE EDJ

Canmore is about 45 minutes out, and we rarely ever go to Banff... because Canmore and Kananaskis is closer and it's much easier to avoid the crowds if you know where to go.
Do you mean around the Banff town site or Banff National Park? There are lots of places within Banff National Park that rarely see visitors. I love Kananaskis for early and late season trips, but mid-summer, anything further in around Lake Louise and the Icefields Parkway is hard to beat.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by troutbreath

If your not uber concervative and accepted Jesus as your savior, Calgarys a lonely place
I find this to be a pretty bizarre comment. I've been here since 1991 and I've seldom seen religious zealots. Most people I've know have not been very religious, even if they do identify themselves as Christian.

Calgary would be far from the top of my list if I were to list very religious places in Canada, let alone the world. I tried to look at the census and could only find one for Alberta from 2001, where 24% of the population identified as "non-religious" (http://www40.statcan.gc.ca/l01/cst01/demo30c-eng.htm). That's huge and I bet that it's higher now.

While Calgary is certainly conservative, I've been noticing a shift in the last few years, especially when it comes to social policies. I would identify myself as more of a liberal and have never found Calgary to be a "lonely place."

Were you in Calgary for very long? What happened to you while you were here? It sounds a bit concerning.

post #28 of (permalink) Old 03-15-2012, 01:03 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Beer before hiking.

It's good to hear it's not like that anymore. I found it horrible there in the 70's so that is a long time ago. I use to work for AGT and couldn't find one coworker to go climbing with. Though they all had a big bar in the basement.
post #29 of (permalink) Old 03-15-2012, 05:54 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DCIPHER

Quote:
quote:
Quote:
Thank you for adding Victoria as another example. But maybe YOU should investigate, Brainiac. The last time I was in the Okanagan or Kamloops there were mountains there.
As Rachelo astutely points out, it's a matter of how one defines "mountains". In the context of talking that the discussion seemed to be centered on ie. the rockies and the great coastal mountains, the terrain reflective of the area around those towns.

I think if you go back to those areas and look around, you'll note that no alpine terrain is visible. Few sharp or rugged features of any kind are visible. Of course, it's a matter of perspective. I have heard some easterners talk of the "mountains", but again, it's rather laughable to compare them to the coast or the Rockies. There are few postcards of the "mountains" around Kelowna, Penticton, or Osoyoos.....there are few lookouts for the mountains....there are actually few named mountains that the average resident would be aware of. A mountaineer will find himself lacking in options near those cities. haha.

Quote:
So they're gone now? Surprised nobody has posted about that!!
Yes, telling that nobody posted.
Quote:
It's the implication of ownership that I don't like. Thanks for asking.
Right, that's what I thought, but it needed clarification. Again, it seems odd since it's such a common phrase, so to have such an aversive an aggressive response to it is interesting. You didn't answer, does it bother you in regard to countries or cities as well, or is it only mountains?

I think if you realize that it's common phrase and that it's likely Rachelo (or any of the numerous others who have said similar things on this board) are likely not actually implying that they have "ownership", then it will probably bother you less. To suddenly attack somebody and call their comments "lame" simply because they happened to use that expression is a testament to your literal interpretation of the phrase. If you really thought Rachelo believes she has ownership of those mountains, perhaps YOU could ask for clarification in a less emotional manner.

Quote:
Please don't respond because I don't feel like having it out with you again.
I'm sorry but you don't get to dictate who is allowed to post and who is not. Particularly when you directed this post in reply to me. I can't grant your request to have the last word, and I'm not inclined to after the childish tone and insults.

This request also falls rather flat when you've openly admitted to trolling me in the past.
post #30 of (permalink) Old 03-15-2012, 06:57 PM
Scaling New Heights

Wishing you a safe and memorable transition to Calgary Stormwolf!
You got nice folks to meet out there =)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page